Forum > IDE/CodeTools

Some small changes in the Interface I.E. Icons and Button position

(1/5) > >>

Gald:
Project Inspector:

1- Lazarus Main Window (left) has very small icons, even small than Delphi (by 2 pixels I guess) and it's ok. But the Project Inspector Window, Has very BIG icons for no reason. In Linux, the difference is even more.

2- Add, Remove, Options and Help don't even need captions.

3- This big "Help" button is completely useless.

4- Open File button can be accessed by double click or left-click menu.

5- Option on left click menu to show the file/project in Explorer/Directory, by opening Windows Explorer, Nautilus, etc.

6- I understand that Lazarus needs to save files on lowercase names, but if the Source Editor can use the real name, the same applies to the TreeView. Why not put in the TreeView the name that is in the first line of the file (unit #GetThisName / program #GetThisName)?

Components Window:

7- A way to close these tabs. E.g. if I want to close "List" and "Inheritance",  only "Palette" is open, but with no Tabs in this Window, resulting in more space.

8- Autocollapse group of components when opening another. If someone will open another component group, is because this person will use a component that is not in the previews group. So, auto-close is the better solution than getting a big scrollbar to search the "^" symbol and close it manually.

9- The footer with only the CheckBox "Keep open" can be at the top as a small icon side by side to the mouse (Selection Tool) or even with the filter button. No space? Read the 9 below.

10-  The text "Find" on the left of the TEdit "(Filter)" is useless, it can be removed once the Default text of TEdit says everything, resulting in more space.

11- The filter can be clear automatically on collapse/expand components group.

Ps: Be careful, the embarcadero's i don't like guy can be there!

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: Gald on January 05, 2022, 11:26:06 am ---2- Add, Remove, Options and Help don't even need captions.

--- End quote ---
IMHO, that needs to be adjusted on a larger scale.
Currently some toolbars in the IDE have captions. Others are icon only.

There should be a global setting to enable/disable captions on toolbars (icon, text or both).
Maybe the "main bar" - "coolbar", or the "editor toolbar" (if package is installed) can have their own settings.
But all other toolbars should follow.

As for "mixed captions" (Within a single toolbar, some buttons with and others without): I don't like the idea. (but let's see what others think).
So of course, buttons with no icon will always have a caption...

--- Quote ---3- This big "Help" button is completely useless.

--- End quote ---
Why?

It seems to work here. I have not checked if the help page needs updating, but that could be fixed.

If desired, someone could implement and submit a merge-request (or patch) for offline help.

--- Quote ---4- Open File button can be accessed by double click or left-click menu.

--- End quote ---
What exactly is the issue? What should happen?

Besides that "double-click" does not show the "button" (actually context menu). It opens the file directly. But that is intended.

--- Quote ---5- Option on left click menu to show the file/project in Explorer/Directory, by opening Windows Explorer, Nautilus, etc.

--- End quote ---
Nice idea.

IHMO: Merge-Request / Patches are welcome.

--- Quote ---6- I understand that Lazarus needs to save files on lowercase names, but if the Source Editor can use the real name, the same applies to the TreeView. Why not put in the TreeView the name that is in the first line of the file (unit #GetThisName / program #GetThisName)?

--- End quote ---
Yes, well not sure.
Files can be in (sub-)directories. Then the (relative) path is show in the treeview. So this is the filename (It also has the file extension), not the UnitName.

Though I do see the appeal of showing the UnitName. Or both...

Not sure how to solve, or what others may find acceptable. There are many possible ways
  incl/unitname.pp
  unitname.pp (incl/)
  UnitName (incl/unitname.pp)

--- Quote ---9- The footer with only the CheckBox "Keep open" can be at the top as a small icon side by side to the mouse (Selection Tool) or even with the filter button. No space? Read the 9 below.

10-  The text "Find" on the left of the TEdit "(Filter)" is useless, it can be removed once the Default text of TEdit says everything, resulting in more space.

--- End quote ---

IHMO: Merge-Request / Patches are welcome.

Not sure about your other ideas...
Probably need to be optional. In my experience there are always people who like the current way (or at least like the current way better...)

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: Gald on January 05, 2022, 11:26:06 am ---6- I understand that Lazarus needs to save files on lowercase names, but if the Source Editor can use the real name, the same applies to the TreeView. Why not put in the TreeView the name that is in the first line of the file (unit #GetThisName / program #GetThisName)?
--- End quote ---

Two points:

* The tree vie  shows the files, and not only the units belonging to the project, thus it makes no sense to make an exception for Pascal units (not to mention that using the right compiler switch the name of a unit can be different from the filename (aside from casing))
* Your suggestion of using the first line is too simplistic: many units have a license header at the top and the unit name can also be in an include file (yes, there exist units that do that)

Gald:

--- Quote from: PascalDragon on January 05, 2022, 01:57:21 pm ---Two points:

--- End quote ---

I see...

dsiders:

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on January 05, 2022, 01:39:47 pm ---
--- Quote ---3- This big "Help" button is completely useless.

--- End quote ---
Why?

It seems to work here. I have not checked if the help page needs updating, but that could be fixed.

If desired, someone could implement and submit a merge-request (or patch) for offline help.

--- End quote ---

I just tried it on 2.0.12, 2.2.0RC2, and main (nee trunk). For Windows, the Help button does nothing in all 3 versions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version