Recent

Author Topic: Xtensa-freertos wiki  (Read 8023 times)

ccrause

Xtensa-freertos wiki
« on: January 04, 2022, 01:06:02 pm »
The wiki instructions for xtensa-freertos has been updated.  Please review and update if anything is unclear, misleading or wrong.

Note that the information is Linux focused, please update/add information as required for other OSs.

Alternatively discuss issues with the information on the wiki page in this thread so that the usability of the page can be improved.

botster

Re: Xtensa-freertos wiki
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 08:09:53 pm »
It is much more clear now. Thank you very much.

I did notice that you included an example 'hello world' program in the ESP8266 section, but not in the ESP32 section. And, the example fpc directory path (eg. ~/fpc/main) was just "~/fpc" in the ESP8266 section.

I corrected the example path in the ESP8266 section and included the example "hello world" program in the ESP32 section.

Now, one more question. When it says, "Create a hello world program [...] in the fpc dir", I am assuming that is for simplicity, and one could put the program in a directory of their choice providing the paths in the compiler command line are adjusted appropriately. Correct? I ask because, personally, I would not want to clutter up my fpc source directory.
Lee

botster

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 12:43:00 am »
I believe there is an error in the test program compiler command for the ESP8266 Compile and run test program. The last option is:
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. -Fl~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/lib/
However, there is no 'sysroot' directory in ~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf

Changing the option to:
  1. -Fl~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/lib/
allowed the linker to find libstdc++.a
Lee

ccrause

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 08:25:15 am »
It is much more clear now. Thank you very much.

I did notice that you included an example 'hello world' program in the ESP8266 section, but not in the ESP32 section. And, the example fpc directory path (eg. ~/fpc/main) was just "~/fpc" in the ESP8266 section.

I corrected the example path in the ESP8266 section and included the example "hello world" program in the ESP32 section.

Thanks for updating this.

Now, one more question. When it says, "Create a hello world program [...] in the fpc dir", I am assuming that is for simplicity, and one could put the program in a directory of their choice providing the paths in the compiler command line are adjusted appropriately. Correct? I ask because, personally, I would not want to clutter up my fpc source directory.
Yes, you are correct, updated.

af0815

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 10:23:17 am »
Can the chapter 1.3.1 up to 1.3.4 declared a linux area. Because the commandlines are Linux only IMHO. Actual there is no working version for windows as far as i know.
regards
Andreas

botster

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 06:43:44 pm »
Yes, you are correct, updated.

I don't want to second-guess you in case I am incorrect. But, shouldn't
  1. ~/fpc/main/compiler/ppcrossxtensa -Furtl/units/xtensa-freertos/ -Tfreertos -XPxtensa-lx106-elf- -O3 -Wpesp8266 hello -Fl~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf-libs/ -Fl$IDF_PATH/components/esp8266/lib -Fl$IDF_PATH/components/newlib/newlib/lib -Fl~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/lib/
be
  1. ~/fpc/main/compiler/ppcrossxtensa -Fu~/fpc/main/rtl/units/xtensa-freertos/ -Tfreertos -XPxtensa-lx106-elf- -O3 -Wpesp8266 hello -Fl~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf-libs/ -Fl$IDF_PATH/components/esp8266/lib -Fl$IDF_PATH/components/newlib/newlib/lib -Fl~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/lib/
(ie. "-Fu~/fpc/main/rtl/units/xtensa-freertos/")?
Lee

ccrause

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 06:51:47 pm »
I don't want to second-guess you in case I am incorrect. But, shouldn't
  1. ~/fpc/main/compiler/ppcrossxtensa -Furtl/units/xtensa-freertos/ -Tfreertos -XPxtensa-lx106-elf- -O3 -Wpesp8266 hello -Fl~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf-libs/ -Fl$IDF_PATH/components/esp8266/lib -Fl$IDF_PATH/components/newlib/newlib/lib -Fl~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/lib/
be
  1. ~/fpc/main/compiler/ppcrossxtensa -Fu~/fpc/main/rtl/units/xtensa-freertos/ -Tfreertos -XPxtensa-lx106-elf- -O3 -Wpesp8266 hello -Fl~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf-libs/ -Fl$IDF_PATH/components/esp8266/lib -Fl$IDF_PATH/components/newlib/newlib/lib -Fl~/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf/xtensa-lx106-elf/lib/
(ie. "-Fu~/fpc/main/rtl/units/xtensa-freertos/")?

You are correct, please feel free to edit the wiki.  Thanks for checking the content.

botster

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 01:33:53 am »
@ccrause, you're correct. As you mentioned in another thread, there is a note about using -WP to specify the SDK version number. I did not see it before; probably from reading too fast.

May I suggest the individual notes be put near the paragraph to which they pertain? For example, the note about -WP would go directly underneath the compiler command.

Or, do you think this would make things look more cluttered?
Lee

ccrause

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 06:15:07 am »
@ccrause, you're correct. As you mentioned in another thread, there is a note about using -WP to specify the SDK version number. I did not see it before; probably from reading too fast.

May I suggest the individual notes be put near the paragraph to which they pertain? For example, the note about -WP would go directly underneath the compiler command.

Or, do you think this would make things look more cluttered?

The presentation format is not ideal at the moment.  I would prefer not to repeat common information, but the page is quite busy so it is easy to miss details like using the -WP option.  I tend to agree that one should probably treat each paragraph (or at least subsection) as standalone, so all information should be presented where applicable.

kassane

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 05:53:28 pm »
Cool, it's great to see more languages supporting this architecture. FPC supports it without using LLVM (espressif-fork).
The wiki doesn't specify if esp32-s2 and esp32-s3 are also supported.

Does anyone have experience with idf v5.x?

ccrause

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 06:24:21 pm »
Cool, it's great to see more languages supporting this architecture. FPC supports it without using LLVM (espressif-fork).
The wiki doesn't specify if esp32-s2 and esp32-s3 are also supported.
Not yet, but in principle this should not be too challenging.
I have tried a few times to link an fpc example against esp-idf 5.0 & 5.2, but I've run into a problem where xtensa-esp32-elf-ld reported it cannot locate the precompiled esp-idf libraries, even though the path information was correct.

ccrause

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2024, 10:47:34 am »
I have tried a few times to link an fpc example against esp-idf 5.0 & 5.2, but I've run into a problem where xtensa-esp32-elf-ld reported it cannot locate the precompiled esp-idf libraries, even though the path information was correct.
I checked again and have successfully linked a simple project against esp-idf 5.2 (using bintools xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc11_2_0-esp-2022r1).  Unfortunately there is a deadlock on startup of the generated binary, so some further tweaks are required.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018