Recent

Author Topic: Setting up Xtensa-FreeRTOS for ESP8266  (Read 29822 times)

Mongkey

Re: Setting up Xtensa-FreeRTOS for ESP8266
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2022, 06:22:11 am »
already succed, but after i powering off my cpu, lazarus wont open anymore  :). Thank you for your assistance, i give up.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 06:38:27 am by Mongkey »

ccrause

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2022, 07:56:58 am »
already succed, but after i powering off my cpu, lazarus wont open anymore  :). Thank you for your assistance, i give up.
Sorry to hear about your problems with Lazarus, I know it is frustrating when things don't work.  Fpcupdeluxe is an actively maintained project and has a dedicated thread for discussing problems.  You are welcome to post your Lazarus startup problem there (with details on what options you selected in fpcupdeluxe), I'm certain someone will be able to help.

Mathias

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2022, 02:01:48 pm »
Sorry to hear about your problems with Lazarus, I know it is frustrating when things don't work.  Fpcupdeluxe is an actively maintained project and has a dedicated thread for discussing problems.  You are welcome to post your Lazarus startup problem there (with details on what options you selected in fpcupdeluxe), I'm certain someone will be able to help.
You can also use the issues from GitHub.
https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/issues

Mongkey

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2022, 08:32:43 am »

I want to know what linux do you used by the way? Could you explain your detail env on linux, may be mirroring your env, help me out this problem   :D

I know the problem already if you use ubuntu 20(focal fossa), after you build and assign component your lazarus not work anymore, but it has different story if we build on ubuntu 18, all work ok, but no libgc2.65, installed, those lib are my recent problem on ubuntu 18 for extensa.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 08:38:55 am by Mongkey »

ccrause

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2022, 09:52:30 pm »
I want to know what linux do you used by the way? Could you explain your detail env on linux, may be mirroring your env, help me out this problem   :D
I run Linux Mint Mate 20.2.  I don't install FPC or Lazarus via the package manager, but have several different versions of both that I compiled from source - this obviously requires a working binary FPC compiler to get going initially.  While I can give more information on my setup, it is specific to my computer and would be difficult to adapt to a generic form.  In general I followed the Linux installation guides for FPC and Lazarus to get going initially.  Things got a little bit more complicated when I started playing around with cross compilers for embedded targets (because of the different units per subarch).

I know the problem already if you use ubuntu 20(focal fossa), after you build and assign component your lazarus not work anymore, but it has different story if we build on ubuntu 18, all work ok, but no libgc2.65, installed, those lib are my recent problem on ubuntu 18 for extensa.
I don't understand, libgc is a garbage collector for C/C++, this should not be a requirement for building Lazarus?  Which widget set are you compiling for (GTK2, QT...)? This I think should be discussed under the Lazarus IDE board.  There are many Linux users using Lazarus, getting Lazarus working on Linux should not be difficult once the required library dependencies are installed.

Edit: fixed formatting
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 06:23:56 pm by ccrause »

Mongkey

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2022, 04:27:10 pm »
On ubuntu 18, after linking it got message that i need at least libgc 2.65 to do, since i'm not linux expert, i didn't know what is libgc 2.65 for, after installing ubuntu 20, it problem disapear, because in ubuntu 20 got built in > libgc 2.65.

krolikbest

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2023, 11:17:59 am »
Hi
Interesting thread, currently I do not have a "free space" for any project in this direction however based on my curiosity, how to use the i2c protocol, does the freertos library already have features to allow i2c communication with extrenal devices (like oled dsplay)? If I try to develop something for esp8266 then for sure would use fpcupdeluxe under Win10, however so far I've not tried xtensa+freertos yet.. so don't know what surprises are waiting for me

ccrause

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2023, 12:45:35 pm »
Hi
Interesting thread, currently I do not have a "free space" for any project in this direction however based on my curiosity, how to use the i2c protocol, does the freertos library already have features to allow i2c communication with extrenal devices (like oled dsplay)?

Yes, see e.g. https://github.com/ccrause/fpc-esp-freertos/blob/master/freertos-fpc/esp8266-idf/i2c.pp
Unfortunately not many i2c device drivers yet...

If I try to develop something for esp8266 then for sure would use fpcupdeluxe under Win10, however so far I've not tried xtensa+freertos yet.. so don't know what surprises are waiting for me
Unfortunately xtensa on Windows via fpcupdeluxe is not yet supported. One can of course do a manual setup on Windows, but it is a little bit involved.

krolikbest

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2023, 03:07:15 pm »
Thank you for info. According to fpcupdeluxe I see there options to check for xtensa and freertos, so I understand that despite I'm able to check them for installation I would not be able to compile program writen for xtensa (to put it another way-it is not as simply as for example, writing for Raspberry Pi under Windows), right ?

ccrause

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2023, 04:40:19 pm »
Thank you for info. According to fpcupdeluxe I see there options to check for xtensa and freertos, so I understand that despite I'm able to check them for installation I would not be able to compile program writen for xtensa (to put it another way-it is not as simply as for example, writing for Raspberry Pi under Windows), right ?

From fpcupdeluxe issue 586:
It is because there isn't yet a Windows snapshot, see list of available platform snapshots here: https://github.com/michael-ring/espsdk4fpc/releases/tag/v1.1.0-4

One can package the xtensa bintools and re-use the compiled libraries, but automatically sorting out the python dependencies to run the python tools such as esptool is a bit tricky.

The problem is that there is no prepackaged tools, libraries or virtual python environment for Windows yet.  It is possible to provide the xtensa bintools and SDK libraries, but without the SDK python environment the user wil not be able to link or upload user code (at least not without installing the whole SDK separately).

krolikbest

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2023, 05:38:32 pm »
thanks for comprehensive info.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2023, 09:34:05 pm »
If you have Windows 10 or newer you can use WSL and setup the ESP SDK there just as if you'd do it in Linux. And with an up to date Windows you can also forward USB devices to a WSL 2 instance, so that you can flash from Windows as well.

krolikbest

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2023, 09:04:07 am »
Nice hint. So far I've used Ubuntu under VMware, knowning absolutly nothing about WSL and it seems that the WSL is far better technology.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018