Forum > Designer

Example projects window

(1/31) > >>

JuhaManninen:
This is moved from the "Lazarus Object Inspector is inactive" thread.

--- Quote from: dbannon on December 29, 2021, 05:14:39 am ---So, do we want a quick and easy fix or a full coverage -
* redesign the GUI
* provide a category system for all examples, maybe in the (compulsory) readme file ?

--- End quote ---
Yes, a readme file is already shown in a memo if it exists. A "Category: xxx" syntax can be added. Later somebody could add a proper readme file for all example projects.

--- Quote ---* Copy the deb/rpm installed example to user space when 'chosen' by the user.

--- End quote ---
That sounds strange. Why should we use Linux distro package system for Lazarus examples?

--- Quote ---Thats quite a significant change, I'm not keen to get stared unless there is some indication its the way we really want to go ??

--- End quote ---
The GUI can be improved at the same time while wp or others improve the actual example projects.
My idea of the necessary "Example Projects" window improvements:

* Register an options pane into the global options window. Move subdirectory selection there. Use wildcards in directory names. Add an "Options" button in the GUI to open it directly.
* The window would be more useful as modeless. A user can try many examples while keeping the window open. Then it should be opened from View menu instead of Tools menu.
* A ListView with more columns can be used instead of a ListBox. I remember then years ago ListView had serious bugs.
* A single selection should be enough. There was some clever idea with multi-selection but I forgot what it was.
* Before opening an example project from a read-only directory, it should be copied under Lazarus local config directory, the same way as a rebuilt Lazarus binary is placed there. See https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/lazarus/lazarus/-/issues/37509
I attached a mockup GUI following my idea. It is simple.

dseligo:
I like Online Package Manager tool.
It would be nice if similar tool would exist for examples (maybe in Help menu of Lazarus).

It would be fast and easy way to get to the examples and easy to point someone to.

And examples could be 'live' - when someone make new example project  (or update it), it would be available in this tool.

JuhaManninen:

--- Quote from: dseligo on December 29, 2021, 03:47:07 pm ---I like Online Package Manager tool.
It would be nice if similar tool would exist for examples (maybe in Help menu of Lazarus).
It would be fast and easy way to get to the examples and easy to point someone to.
And examples could be 'live' - when someone make new example project  (or update it), it would be available in this tool.

--- End quote ---
Online example projects. Yes, it is a good idea. It could use the same framework with Online Package Manager. Maybe GetMem has an idea.
Sometime in future OPM should use the the fppkg system and allow authors to upload their packages (+ maybe example projects).

Online example projects is a separate and bigger project. The current window should be simplified and improved in any case.

A proper menu for example projects is tricky. Help menu is for actual help data so far. Project menu is now about the current project only.
Opinions are welcome.

af0815:
Maybe some ideas from the actual Example-Screen and OPM. And help is not Example, and can reference to the example system.

BTW, is the fppkg system for Lazarus too ? OPM is well known in Lazarus, but fppkg more a hidden secret system for IMHO the most user.

JuhaManninen:

--- Quote from: af0815 on December 29, 2021, 05:06:33 pm ---Maybe some ideas from the actual Example-Screen and OPM.

--- End quote ---
Do you mean ideas for an Online Example Project system?

--- Quote ---And help is not Example, and can reference to the example system.

--- End quote ---
Do you mean the Help menu should have entries for example projects, too?

--- Quote ---BTW, is the fppkg system for Lazarus too ? OPM is well known in Lazarus, but fppkg more a hidden secret system for IMHO the most user.

--- End quote ---
The design goal was that fppkg supports both FPC and Lazarus code. It does not work well yet. It only has a small set of FPC packages to test with. I don't know more about the technical challenges there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version