Forum > Packages and Libraries

TSimpleIPCServer Component

(1/1)

Curt Carpenter:
The ReadMessage method of the TSimpleIPCServer component is documented as a function that returns a boolean value, but the source .pp file for the component as written doesn't return anything (no function return type is declared in the declaration or implementation).   Easy to work around this (use the peek method with zero timeout), but wanted to alert others to the issue.  I'm  using Lazarus 2.0.8.

dsiders:

--- Quote from: Curt Carpenter on December 20, 2021, 06:34:50 pm ---The ReadMessage method of the TSimpleIPCServer component is documented as a function that returns a boolean value, but the source .pp file for the component as written doesn't return anything (no function return type is declared in the declaration or implementation).   Easy to work around this (use the peek method with zero timeout), but wanted to alert others to the issue.  I'm  using Lazarus 2.0.8.

--- End quote ---

First, its a FCL component and dependent on the FPC compiler version - not Lazarus.

Second, it is a function in the FPC 3.2 series. I don't have a 3.0 compiler any more, so I can't compare.

Unless of course, you were looking at TSimpleIPC where it is an abstract virtual procedure and not a function.

Curt Carpenter:
Thanks.   Is there a way to edit the docs to reflect that useful info?

dsiders:

--- Quote from: Curt Carpenter on December 20, 2021, 11:11:18 pm ---Thanks.   Is there a way to edit the docs to reflect that useful info?

--- End quote ---

Yes and No.

You won't see an updated set of docs for 2.0.8. Even with the XML source for the docs (which you can modify), I don't think the build procedure is very straight-forward for RTL and FCL. A task I've never attempted.

Your best bet is to move to a more recent Lazarus version (2.0.10 or newer) which has the updated FCL docs.

Curt Carpenter:
OK thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version