Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus IDE alternatives  (Read 10992 times)

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Lazarus IDE alternatives
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2021, 06:08:20 pm »
I have run up to 3 IDE (though that was on Windows):
IDE-1  debugging  IDE-2  which is debugging IDE-3.   And IDE 3 then sometimes debugging a normal project. Needs a lot of monitors.

I did note, that if any of the task that are being debugged is paused, the clipboard on Windows may get blocked. The block will timeout, but copying/pasting will hang for maybe 10 secs.

So far, I have no issue with clipboard, copy or paste.

If it is multiple IDE, try menu: Tools > Options: Environment > IDE Startup: Lazurus Instances.

I knew this setting, but never tried it. I will test it later.

I have seen similar issues when debugging some multithreaded apps (using CEF4Delphi).
There could be timing sensitive code in the 3rd party parts. In the debugger timing is different. Inter-process communication (if not 100% properly done, and that 100% target is so easy to miss) can react to this.

Mine were not multithreaded programs. Only less than 1000 lines of simple program.

Out of interest, which debugger were you using? Gdb or FpDebug or tested with both?

The default one, GNU debugger (gdb).

Just a note, if you haven't found it, the package "LazProjectGroups" may help, switching quickly between projects.

I ever heard it. I will try and should use it. Recently I'm cleaning up and merging some old codes, this feature should be very helpful.

Thank you for the information you provided.

munair

• compiler developer @SharpBASIC
    • SharpBASIC
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2021, 07:32:44 pm »
I don't use the Lazarus Ide. I use Geany ide.

Lazarus is not just an IDE like Geany. Lazarus is a RAD allowing the user to quickly build GUIs (do I need to explain that?). Geany is great, but it is a IDE not a RAD. Don't get me wrong. I use Geany all the time to write and compile for command-line tools. But you cannot possibly compare Geany to Lazarus. You wouldn't compare Notepad++ to Visual Studio would you?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 07:34:26 pm by munair »
keep it simple

AlexTP

• UVviewsoft
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 07:38:19 pm »
I just watched the youtube video about Geany IDE features; I see that most (or all?) features are implemented in CudaText!

1) the internal terminal in Geany - CudaText has 2 terminal plugins (Terminal Plus is better)

2) integration of 'build' command e.g. for C++ - CudaText has the Runner plugin with build modes from Sublime Text.

3) projects - CudaText has the 'Project Manager'

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2021, 08:32:22 pm »
But how can we explain:

The already-working code became not working but later worked again, even I didn't change anything in the code.

In many ways...

- The easiest: Some of the new code writes to memory it does not own (dangling pointer, out of range, etc). And it happens to write to memory belonging to your existing code.
- Or the other way round: The existing code already accesses not-owned memory. It got lucky sofar, that the values were always ok (maybe memory was not cleaned, and the dangling pointer got a result). Now that memory is re-used. Or it is just that the overall memory layout changed....
- In threaded apps: changes to timing. Pre-existing race conditions, may become thousand times more likely to trigger.
- Unexpected messages send to the main event loop (unlikely, but how knows). Or somehow retrieved from the event queue, and never reaching the main loop.
- FPU exceptions are left behind, and trigger when existing code accesses the fpu.
- total resource usage hits a limit
- Depending on OS: conflicting calls, making global changes... (not sure, if that can happen...)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2021, 11:38:44 pm »
I have Lazarus on board, as it were, but the more I use it the less I like it
I would love to know more about the reasons.
Geany is light and snappy but so is Lazarus. It has been optimized to start and work quickly. It is usable even in card computers like Raspberry Pi which is exceptional for a full blown cross-platform RAD IDE.
I know, parts of the GUI in Lazarus could be simplified. Still for me it looks quite functional.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2021, 05:06:27 am »
I'm now able to 100% reproduce the issue, here I also provide the video:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,57538.msg427949.html#msg427949

creaothceann

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2022, 01:05:44 pm »
Though, afaik, the IDE will always create the IPC stuff, needed to check for other Instances.

I've found that this can be worked around with virtual machines (Teamviewer).

TinyPortal © 2005-2018