Forum > Documentation (Maintaining -)

Wiki: Lazarus Tutorial

<< < (3/4) > >>

kupferstecher:

--- Quote from: trev on December 07, 2021, 10:11:47 pm ---Perhaps it would be a better idea to simply remove the transclusion and add a page link to the content with appropriate description.

--- End quote ---
Thats true. But... that section is translated in many languages and only in English its transcluded, in the other languages its there in "source". OK, they could be moved as well.

But what to do with the rest of the page?

trev:

--- Quote from: kupferstecher on December 07, 2021, 10:43:02 pm ---
--- Quote from: trev on December 07, 2021, 10:11:47 pm ---Perhaps it would be a better idea to simply remove the transclusion and add a page link to the content with appropriate description.

--- End quote ---
Thats true. But... that section is translated in many languages and only in English its transcluded, in the other languages its there in "source". OK, they could be moved as well.

--- End quote ---

Yes, the Main menu content from the non-English Tutorial pages could be extracted into non-English Main menu pages.

--- Quote ---But what to do with the rest of the page?
--- End quote ---

The longest journey begins with the first step.

kupferstecher:

--- Quote from: trev on December 07, 2021, 10:58:32 pm ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Sure, what I mean is what should be the result. Not that I start reordering stuff and make someone unhappy with it :-)

What I would do now is only keep the "Getting Started" in the article, move all main menu content in corresponding language pages and move the rest into a new page. With the name...?

trev:

--- Quote from: kupferstecher on December 07, 2021, 11:19:31 pm ---
--- Quote from: trev on December 07, 2021, 10:58:32 pm ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Sure, what I mean is what should be the result. Not that I start reordering stuff and make someone unhappy with it :-)
--- End quote ---

Ok, I removed the transclusion from the English page and added a description and page link to the content instead.

--- Quote ---What I would do now is only keep the "Getting Started" in the article, move all main menu content in corresponding language pages and move the rest into a new page. With the name...?

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure about moving the rest of the content elsewhere. The tutorial started with creating your first program because that is probably something most new users would want to do BEFORE reading about all the marvellous features of the IDE. However, having done that, the tutorial then moves on to explaining much of the material you really need to know to progress.

If I was to remove anything, it would be the "The Lazarus files" section which would be better amalgamated with the existing Lazarus Project Files page and then linked.

[EDITS]
* German page Main menu content now moved to new Main menu/de page and replaced with intro and page link
* Spanish page Main menu content now moved to new Main menu/es page and replaced with intro and page link
* Finnish page - removed Main menu/fi transclusion and replaced with intro and page link
* French page Main menu content now moved to new Main menu/fr page and replaced with intro and page link

kupferstecher:

--- Quote from: trev on December 08, 2021, 12:56:58 am ---[EDITS]
* German page Main menu content now moved to new Main menu/de page and replaced with intro and page link

--- End quote ---
Great!
The same I did now with the left few languages. There is an issue with the language bar, only the languages that were available when editing a page are shown, not the pages added later on. Does that automatically update after some time, or has that to be fixed manually somehow?

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Main_menu/sq
was the last page I added and all languages but itself are listet.

--- Quote ---I'm not sure about moving the rest of the content elsewhere. The tutorial started with creating your first program because that is probably something most new users would want to do BEFORE reading about all the marvellous features of the IDE. However, having done that, the tutorial then moves on to explaining much of the material you really need to know to progress.
--- End quote ---
Thats right, some parts are important. Others are IMHO too detailed, it's hard to focus on that as a beginner. Seems the translated language versions are quite old and are much more compact. E.g. the section "How to use Common Controls" seems to not be translated. The lists of "common properties" and "common events" I'm also not sure if they are really useful, as showing these things in the very beginning of using Lazarus is probably just overwhelming.

--- Quote ---If I was to remove anything, it would be the "The Lazarus files" section which would be better amalgamated with the existing Lazarus Project Files page and then linked.

--- End quote ---
In part 2 I also mentioned some of the files. I have to think about how that could be combined better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version