Recent

Author Topic: So many bugs in Lazarus Ide  (Read 21234 times)

jamie

Re: So many bugs in Lazarus Ide
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 05:26:25 pm »
I still need to keep a copy of Delphi operating due to my employer of my day job because they aren't so confident yet of lazarus compiles GUI apps plus there is a lib used in Delphi that is specific to a piece of hardware we talk to that i can't get enough info on to make our own drivers for it but I am still working on that one.

I do have a HMI app that I've got going in lazarus and test running but I've been instructed to ensure that a Delphi compliant app must be ready to activate in any case that does the same and is able to read the same config and project files.
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

nick1965

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 10:26:15 pm »
Amazing.
4 times i asked Questions about setup for android and i took ZERO answers.
and when i said my opinion for a buggy IDE  i have to Pages of Comments.

so predictable behavor.

i win 20 euros. because i had guess it already and i make a bet i dont even bother read the answers.

1st time in Windows History you have to make Install By make and gcc.
very cleaver and prototype  like Apple "Think Different"

nick1965

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 10:31:23 pm »
Trunk is not for common users.

Don't complain if you don't know how to make it works. As suggested by af0815, use the stable version or the official installer.

well actually i have install 10 testing apps on my android device.
the complains is all abou ie. try to install indy components.
try to open demo lamw projects and belive me NOTHING works with my 35 Years of expirience.

nick1965

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 10:34:31 pm »
a) installing trunk is at your own risk
b) laz for android is not a Lazarus problem - it is no part of Lazarus. Nor the NDK or SDK. You can ask here https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/board,43.0.html
c) for point 3 use the last stable. If you use trunk/master - it is on your own risk.

Only Windows have msi. Delphi is only the lastest stable (other version are not provided).

The 'official installers' are here https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/ or use the link on the left side of the forum. This are the official installers.

all the Offical Documents i read about it is outdated .
so i trust a video in youtube with trunk version and seems that was the only way to manage to compile some hello world code.
but are too many too many more.
I have a stucked Ide when i click on a component that form goes to background.
and if is to spend i year to learn the Editor to write code then is just waste of time.
problem like that do not exists in Delphi.

and something else if i did not liked ( because looks like delphi 5 ide )  i will not spent 4 days to try to make things work.
so my comments are like that because of the disapoint .

JanRoza

• http://www.silentwings.nl
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 10:34:53 pm »
Maybe you haven't read the comments very well: the standard IDE isn't buggy, but you are using the trunk version which by nature is buggy that is why it is trunk.
And if you use trunk you accept the bugs and the work it takes to use it.
If you use the normal standard IDE there is a neat install, so either use the standard IDE or do the work that is needed by trunk.
Trying to put the blame on forum users that always are ready to help everyone is just an insult for those people.
Your negative approach certainly does not invite people to give you serious help.
       Lazarus 3.2 FPC 3.2.2
       CodeTyphon 8.40 FPC 3.3.1

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 10:36:35 pm »
problem like that do not exists in Delphi.

Well, stay with Delphi then?
Nobody forces you to use Lazarus.

Bart

nick1965

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 10:39:06 pm »
I have an uncontrollable urge to write something "nice" to nick1965, but I better restrain myself.
Good luck with Delphi!

Jeez! %)

Edit: Corrected typo.

well i have luck sincer delphi 1 for win3.11 /workgroups
and since then never let me down.

Creating .exe,dlls,fastcgi,isapis for iis, Gui apps, Console apps and gues what if i was not  angry for 2 things which is bad in delphi i will never try lazarus.

1st)  You cannot run it on Windows 2008 r2 if you have aero them disable ( at least for android creations )
2nd) You have to pay a lot every year to be able to follow the sdk versions of android.
3rd) You cannot create Freebsd FastCgi apps or Console apps.

So the only reason i tried lazarus was for  Android And i think is Utopia  to try to install it.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 10:43:01 pm by nick1965 »

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 10:44:25 pm »
why nothing works on lazarus?

I think the better question is why you appear to be the only one for whom "nothing works".

MarkMLl

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 11:30:44 pm »
I'd suggest that the best question is "After antagonising just about everybody who would normally expend a substantial amount of time and effort trying to help me, how do I salvage the situation?".

Look, I think we all appreciate that something's gone badly wrong here, but I think (OP) that you need to go back to a stable version of Lazarus/FPC on your chosen development platform, knock together one or two simple programs to satisfy yourself it works, and then /gradually/ familiarise yourself with Android development.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

nick1965

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 11:44:26 pm »
I switched from Delphi (after using it since Delphi 1 in 1996) to Lazarus (182) about four years ago.  I have built many apps, big and small.  My last one was a medical records system for a clinic.  I only use the stable released versions, never the trunk.  My apps are stable, compiles are consistent. Bugs I run into are my own.  I'll never go back to Delphi, Lazarus is just more sensible, many units are better thought out, and do more than in Delphi. In Delphi, I think they've moved to the subscription model, which I don't want, and Delphi is full of bugs that are never fixed, and if they are, a new set of bugs crops up, and the only way to get a bug fix is to get the next version.  Lazarus was built by programmers to be a tool for programmers, not big corp trying to milk everyone.

So do it your self as i just did it.

1) download the ide as the 1st post suggest
2) Install it and open online package manager
3) Select Lamw
4) You will Get Error complane about scanners.

After 10 minutes search in google Replace .Scanners with .Parsers on .pas
5) try to compile
Success
id is reloading

try to go to set paths for lamw directories

NOT RESPOND
and the Everything is STUCK   

very nice for a "STABLE" version  lol   
i had enough maybe after 1-2 years if i am alive i try to reinstall it

Cheers.
thanks for all comments
Uninstalling for 5th time and last.

* Even the Uninstall is not working well it keeps trash on users\appdata

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2021, 11:54:52 pm »
To be fair to nick1965.

When I first started with Lazarus on Suse 10.0, it took me ages to get it to install, run, compile and link anything, due to missing libraries and me being a novice when it comes to linux at that time.
I got so frustrated.

Coming from Windows, where even in the early times (Laz 0.9.x), Lazarus ran out of the box when using the installer, it was a bit of a shock.
(I did use the official rpm for Suse.)

But the people out here on this forum always were patient and tried to help me with all the errors I encountered.

I have owned TP3, TP 5.5, TP6.0, D1, D2, D3Pro and D7PE.
All these Delphi IDE's of that era feel so clumsy compared to even Lazarus 0.9.26.

I only use Delphi now to check Lazarus/fpc behaviour against Delphi (but that becomes rather difficult with e.g. Unicode, overloading).

Mind you, I only program for fun.
I am not a professional programmer.
I don't want to spend huge amount of euro's on Delphi.

At some point in time I got frustrated with obvious bugs in LCL code that I needed in programs I ported from Delphi.
I learned to fix those bugs and by doing so helped to improve Lazarus.

So, initial frustration became fascination and a love for this open source initiative.

Bart

jamie

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2021, 12:03:22 am »
Hmm, doesn't Delphi support the Andriod targets?

I can't remember now cause I would need to boot my other PC for that but I would say if that is so  you could always pay for that, its not too bad on your savings the first time around but I take it that you have been doing Delphi for some time now so be prepared to pay that price each year. It most likely will solve your issues.

Meanwhile anyone that has issues with the Andriod port maybe should consult the authors of the packages for it ?
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2021, 12:46:12 am »
Amazing.
4 times i asked Questions about setup for android and i took ZERO answers.
and when i said my opinion for a buggy IDE  i have to Pages of Comments.

so predictable behavor.

Well, your topic just said "bugs". It didn't specify "android related bugs".
So your audience was way bigger. I would guess (but I have no real numbers) that most replies in this thread came from people who havent used Laz for Android at all (e.g. I haven't).
Bigger audience => more replies.

dsiders

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2021, 01:03:15 am »
To be fair to nick1965.

Well, I thought I was fair. I added him to my ignore list and got on with my life.

You get what you give.
Preview Lazarus 3.99 documentation at: https://dsiders.gitlab.io/lazdocsnext

Warfley

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2021, 04:37:47 am »
well actually i have install 10 testing apps on my android device.
the complains is all abou ie. try to install indy components.
try to open demo lamw projects and belive me NOTHING works with my 35 Years of expirience.
First I would advise you before using LAMW, to first take a look and try to understand what it actually is. From the wiki: https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LAMW
LAMW is a set of Lazarus wizards you will launch from menus Build and Tools.
It helps to set parameters, organize libraries and to run the tools required to make APK files, used to install applications on Android.
This installation includes several packages containing components useful to develop Android Programs with Lazarus, using JNI.
So LAMW is not a part of Lazarus. LAMW is a set of Add-Ons and components for Lazarus, developed independently from it. It is not part of the Lazarus or FreePascal project and the developers have no responsibility over it and no obligation to make it work.
LAMW not working properly is as much the fault of Lazarus as it is the fault of your Operating system if a third party program crashes. If you have problems with third party libraries, try to find help from the community of the third party library, not blame the underlying platform.

Second, you need to understand what you are doing. When you use Trunk, you use an unstable version that might change on a day to day basis. Also third party packages, like Indy are not, and simply due to organisational resons, can not be always up to date with Trunk. In fact, you can not expect any Package to work with an unstable version of Lazarus period.
If you use Trunk, it is on your own risk. If you don't feel comfortable in potentially having to fix Bugs or incompatibilities in Lazarus and/or third party packages, you should not use it.
If LAMW requires the usage of Trunk, this is clearly not aimed at beginners and therefore probably not the right solution for you.

Lastly seriously what do you expect? LAMW is a rather small Open Source project with only 3 main developers who (probably) do this on a voluntary basis in their free time. There are large OpenSource projects that are outcompeting their proprietary counterparts (e.g. Clang), but these are projects have thousands of contributors and have vast financial resources through donations. LAMW doesn't have such resources, and a simple look at their Github shows this.
You compare this with Delphi here quite often, but Delphi is a commercial enterprise grade product developed by a team of full time developers and costs ~150€/month to use.
If you expect a fully fledged enterprise grade solution of the same quality as Delphi from a team of 3 voluntary developers completely for free, I don't know how to say that differently, but you are just dellusional
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 04:40:07 am by Warfley »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018