Recent

Author Topic: So many bugs in Lazarus Ide  (Read 21281 times)

nick1965

So many bugs in Lazarus Ide
« on: December 02, 2021, 03:08:17 pm »
why nothing works on lazarus?

1) you install cross compike and trunk version with fpcdeluxe and 50% of components are not working.
    also you get  so many errors

2) You install laz for android and you must be charismatic to find out that you need old versions of NDK and SDK and god knows what else.
3) You install it from source and you leave it one day and you pray and you get 10000 errors.

is it so big deal to create seperate Installation msi for each OS?

I just popup to say that before i uninstall anything from lazarus and continue with me loved Delphi.

the only good think i can find is that is running ( for simple tasks ) good on Freebsd Anything else is just so bad.

af0815

Re: So many bugs in Lazarus Ide
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 03:32:12 pm »
a) installing trunk is at your own risk
b) laz for android is not a Lazarus problem - it is no part of Lazarus. Nor the NDK or SDK. You can ask here https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/board,43.0.html
c) for point 3 use the last stable. If you use trunk/master - it is on your own risk.

Only Windows have msi. Delphi is only the lastest stable (other version are not provided).

The 'official installers' are here https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/ or use the link on the left side of the forum. This are the official installers.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 03:38:07 pm by af0815 »
regards
Andreas

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 03:52:09 pm »
Trunk is not for common users.

Don't complain if you don't know how to make it works. As suggested by af0815, use the stable version or the official installer.

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 04:21:39 pm »
Also, using Lazarus trunk with fpc trunk is not for the faint-hearted.

I run Lazarsus trunk (bigide) with stable fpc on Windows, compiled from source (Lazarus, that is).
I don't pray. It just works (and sometimes not, but that's trunk, it's unstable by definition).
I used to have Lazarus fixes with stable fpc, and Lazaus trunk with fpc trunk without major troubles, but did not get around to have that again after the move to git.

I run Lazarus trunk with fpc stable on Linux Mint using GTK2 or QT4.
Runs just fine.
Still no praying needed.

I don't have an android device, nor a Mac, never had FreeBSD on a machine.
I do have Haiku on a machine, but no fpc/Lazarus on that.

I don't have a recent Delpi (and not going to pay huge $$ for that either).

Bart

balazsszekely

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 04:44:56 pm »
I have an uncontrollable urge to write something "nice" to nick1965, but I better restrain myself.
Good luck with Delphi!

Jeez! %)

Edit: Corrected typo.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 06:08:40 pm by GetMem »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 04:55:10 pm »

Everything is open to the public. Why don't you try it ?

MarkMLl

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 05:24:50 pm »
I have an uncontrollable urge to write something "nice" to nick1965, but I better restrain myself.

Me too, particularly since he thinks that .msi is cross-platform.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 08:11:25 pm »
why nothing works on lazarus?

Well, I use Lazarus and it works. Strange...
But then yes, some parts work better, some less.

1) you install cross compike and trunk version with fpcdeluxe and 50% of components are not working.
    also you get  so many errors
Here is the first problem, what errors? Lot's of people use trunk, and they don't run into "so many errors".

Yet, yes the errors may be there. But unless you tell us about every single error, exactly and in detail what happens, and what steps did you do before it happened => how can we help?
Or how can anyone fix them?

And maybe it's just a setting or something?

2) You install laz for android and you must be charismatic to find out that you need old versions of NDK and SDK and god knows what else.
3) You install it from source and you leave it one day and you pray and you get 10000 errors.

Well, I don't personally use the android stuff. So I can't comment.

We offer installers for Win, Linux and Mac.

And if there were volunteers to help, maybe we could offer more. But currently we do not have the manpower for that.
It's not the building.
It's writing and maintaining the build scripts.
Maintaining the build environment.
Testing before and after the builds.

All that takes a lot of time.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 11:22:02 pm »
I run Lazarsus trunk (bigide) with stable fpc on Windows, compiled from source (Lazarus, that is).
I don't pray. It just works (and sometimes not, but that's trunk, it's unstable by definition).

Just to enlarge a little on Bart's comment, I routinely use Trunk and while the risk of a problem is always there, in practice, its very, very rare.

> and you leave it one day and you pray and you get 10000 errors.

If you get 10000 error on one day, you would almost certainly have got some on the previous day too. I expect your lack of experience is a factor here.

> cross compike and trunk version with fpcdeluxe and 50% of components are not working.

Your choose to use  fpcdeluxe, when it works, its great, when it does not, put in a bug report. Its difficult for a new comer to see what fpcdeluxe is doing and you sure sound new.

Open source suits some people, not others. Some people need to have all their problems solved for them by knowledgeable people, open source users want to become knowledgeable people themselves. Choose carefully....

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

af0815

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 07:48:06 am »
I have looked for the posts of nick1965 (are only few, since start of Nov 2021). I looks he is searching/testing for complex things in Lazarus/fpc like cef4, indy, lamw, weblaz .. on Mac/Carbon, freebsd, maybe Win, ... with or without qt5.

With this, i can understand he get frustrated. But without the basics, he cannot attack such complex things. And then only one by one. 

my 2 cents

regards
Andreas

DonAlfredo

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 07:53:34 am »
I guess I have had a discussion with the OP on fpcupdeluxe issues tracker yesterday.
Opinions have been exchanged. Some issues resolved, some explained, some rejected.
All ok for now.

Blade

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 10:43:47 am »
I've seen similar behavior on other forums for different programming languages.  Newbies/beginners get frustrated, then blame the programming language, IDEs, compilers, or other tools instead of their own actions.  Instead of looking in the mirror first, and reading the manual or help documents, they blame everyone or anything else.  Sometimes, they can have a legitimate complaint, but it's usually best to have some patience, double check what we are doing, and do some research.

MarkMLl

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 10:58:37 am »
I've seen similar with undergraduate (and, extremely rarely) postgraduate students. It had the capability of blowing up beyond anything reasonable (e.g. if the student's consulate made a formal complaint that poorly-maintained equipment had affected the degree they'd paid for) and was almost always caused by three things:

a) Jumping in with both feet with no attempt to learn basic techniques.

b) Being unable to formulate the resulting problems.

c) Being unwilling to ask the support staff who were there to help him.

The result of those three things working together was that when the issue was finally raised it would either be with a tutor several weeks later than it should have been, with senior staff towards the end of the academic year, or at government level.

I recall only one case where the equipment or software genuinely was the cause of the problem.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

SymbolicFrank

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 05:07:32 pm »
Fpcupdeluxe is really great! Ok, some small bugs and there and some things that could be better, but that has more to do with everything changing all the time. Also, if you add/remove packages, that Lazarus simply rebuilds itself. And, while not documented very well, there are plenty of makefiles. Debug builds are a bit more complex (and also partly undocumented, AFAIK), but they allow you to step into everything. And, last but not least: if you don't like something, you can change it to your heart's content. Although it is recommended to do it right and submit it as an improvement or plugin. (If your boss allows that, if you did that as part of your job.)

"I use FPC/Lazarus, so it cannot be done" is never a valid excuse ;)

RedOctober

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 05:17:33 pm »
I switched from Delphi (after using it since Delphi 1 in 1996) to Lazarus (182) about four years ago.  I have built many apps, big and small.  My last one was a medical records system for a clinic.  I only use the stable released versions, never the trunk.  My apps are stable, compiles are consistent. Bugs I run into are my own.  I'll never go back to Delphi, Lazarus is just more sensible, many units are better thought out, and do more than in Delphi. In Delphi, I think they've moved to the subscription model, which I don't want, and Delphi is full of bugs that are never fixed, and if they are, a new set of bugs crops up, and the only way to get a bug fix is to get the next version.  Lazarus was built by programmers to be a tool for programmers, not big corp trying to milk everyone.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018