Forum > Databases

IBX : Can it handle database operation when network connection is not stable?

<< < (3/9) > >>

incendio:

--- Quote from: Zvoni on November 24, 2021, 02:03:19 pm ---Then the only "fail"-safe method i know of would be to use a local database, which replicates itself to the server if network is available
https://www.firebirdfaq.org/faq249/

--- End quote ---
I think local database is to complicated.

Not all data needs to be replicated, only the data that are being input / edit by users.

I think of table in memory that holds all data before it is updated to the database server.

I don't know much of Lazarus, perhaps there is a LCL components that could be served for storing temporary data in memory.

Zvoni:

--- Quote from: incendio on November 24, 2021, 02:29:00 pm ---I think of table in memory that holds all data before it is updated to the database server.

I don't know much of Lazarus, perhaps there is a LCL components that could be served for storing temporary data in memory.

--- End quote ---
And that's different to my proposal of a Queue, how?

incendio:

--- Quote from: Zvoni on November 24, 2021, 02:36:29 pm ---
--- Quote from: incendio on November 24, 2021, 02:29:00 pm ---I think of table in memory that holds all data before it is updated to the database server.

--- End quote ---
And that's different to my proposal of a Queue, how?

--- End quote ---

No, it's the same with your ideas.

But my question is not that, I want to know whether IBX has capabilities to handle database operations under unstable network connection.

It seems that it's not.

I will try to implement yours ideas for database operations over internet. Thanks.

Zvoni:

--- Quote from: incendio on November 24, 2021, 02:45:56 pm ---But my question is not that, I want to know whether IBX has capabilities to handle database operations under unstable network connection.

--- End quote ---
I wouldn't know of a component in any language capable of that. It's the programmers job to provide for that eventuality.
As i said: the only "fail"-safe method i know off is a replication-setup, with a proxy in between application and database-server(s) switching servers if the one you're connected to goes down

MarkMLl:
Please treat this as a rhetorical question.

--- Quote from: incendio on November 24, 2021, 02:29:00 pm ---I think local database is to complicated.

--- End quote ---

Do you have any idea whatsoever, how often an old-timer such as myself has heard an admittedly-inexperienced user say "Your solution is too complicated, I know better"?

However, I think the important thing to appreciate here is that the local database doesn't have to be the same as the backend one. For simple data entry you might do better using e.g. SQLite locally, with the upload carefully wrapped in transactions to make sure it's atomic.

And that approach /is/ different from a queue, unless your queue implementation is enhanced by a whole lot of non-volatile storage and robustness protection... in which case you've just reinvented the wheel and written a database server.

MarkMLl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version