Recent

Author Topic: Cant install Indy on Lazarus Raspberry Pi  (Read 4329 times)

Johan van der Merwe

Cant install Indy on Lazarus Raspberry Pi
« on: November 16, 2021, 08:42:45 pm »
Good day

I am trying to install and use Indy on Lazarus on a Raspberry Pi 4. My Raspbian OS details are:

NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

The Lazarus installation details are:
Lazarus 2.0.0+dfsg-2 rDebian package 2.0.0+dfsg-2 FPC 3.0.4 arm-linux-gtk2

I have installed the FPC and Lazarus using the following command:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y && sudo apt-get install fpc && sudo apt-get install lazarus

This worked well and Lazarus did install. I then opened Lazarus and opened the "Online Package Manager". I opened "Indy 10 - 2021.11.02" and clicked on "Install" -> "From Repository".  The packages started downloading and extracted. It then compiles successfully. A popup box then comes up asking: "Do you want to rebuild Lazarus with profile: Normal IDE?". I then click on Yes. I then restart Lazarus, unfortunately I do not see any Indy tabs at the Controls tab.

I then clicked on "Package" -> "Open Loaded Package". Indylaz.lpk is in the list. The State is: "auto install static". If I then click on "Open" and "Compile", it compiles well. I then click on "Use" -> "Install". I then get the following message:
The package "indylaz 10.6.2.4060" was marked for installation.
Currently Lazarus only supports static linked packages. The real installation needs rebuilding and restarting of Lazarus.

Do you want to rebuild Lazarus now?
I then click Yes. The IDE then starts to build. I then get the following error:
lazarus.pp(1,1) Fatal: Cannot find fpdebug used by Lazarus. Check if package fpdebug creates fpdebug.ppu, check nothing deletes this file and check that no two packages have access to the unit source..

I have tried various other "tricks" to get Indy to compile and be available, but I am struggling.

Any help would be appreciated in order for me to install and use Indy.

Thanks a lot.

af0815

Re: Cant install Indy on Lazarus Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 08:47:25 pm »
If you remove Indy from the list of packages to install, can you make a clean rebuild of Lazarus without an Error ?

This will be the first step.

If the error is the same, not the indy package is the problem.
regards
Andreas

Johan van der Merwe

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 08:57:37 pm »
Hi
Thanks for quick reply. I did remove Indy from the list of packages to install. I then clicked on TOOLS -> Build Lazarus with Profile: Normal IDE. I then get the following eror:
lazarus.pp(1,1) Fatal: Cannot find fpdebug used by Lazarus.

ccrause

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 06:56:50 am »
Hi
Thanks for quick reply. I did remove Indy from the list of packages to install. I then clicked on TOOLS -> Build Lazarus with Profile: Normal IDE. I then get the following eror:
lazarus.pp(1,1) Fatal: Cannot find fpdebug used by Lazarus.

Did you select "clean all" in the build Lazarus options? Fpdebug is part of the default components that ships with Lazarus, so this is an unexpected error - not that this is an excuse, it just means a bit of digging is required to get to the root of the problem.

af0815

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 07:23:12 am »
I have in the past problems with the original DEB packages from Debian/Raspbian. Amd here in the forum it pops often up with troubles. But from FPC/Lazarus Team there where not prebuild deb packages for the arm in the Download area (left side up in the forum under Downloads). This is the reason i use fpcupdeluxe always.

How to do it:
* ) deinstall and remove the packages from the original Debian
* ) intsall the prerequisites descibed here https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/fpcupdeluxe
* ) download fpcupdeluxe from here https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases ( fpcupdeluxe-armv6hf-linux)
* ) create a directory for fpc/lazarus (without special chars, blanks,....)
* ) start fpcupdeluxe and set the targetdir and the wanted version (stable, main, RC....) for fpc and Lazarus. (I prefere fpc fixes and Lazarus fixes or the actual RC)
* ) start the installation of fpc first and after finishes start the installation of Lazarus. So you see if something goes wrong, why.
* ) you must start lazarus with the created link (or read the wiki article in deep)

There is a extra support forum here for fpcupdeluxe under third party software here in the forum.

BTW: This is MY best pratice for RasPi. There are a lot of ways to install it in a running configuration. For me this works always, without problems (except sometimes trunk)

regards
Andreas

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 08:23:47 am »
My prefered approach is always to build Lazarus from source. You are going to rebuild it as soon as you install your first package so why not get it over and done with, right at the start, so you know absolutely you have a viable build. And you 'own' the process.

One of the problems of using Debian Repository packages is that Debian chooses to break Lazarus down into smaller parts, to allow you to install only the parts you need. But in practice, you need all the parts so it really does not help. My guess is you did not get everything you need to rebuild - and you always need to rebuild !

The Wiki page, https://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_Linux has the details, only special thing about RasPi, you might need to increase swap space, depending on how much ram you have.

I suggest you use apt to remove your existing lazarus install, then use apt to install the handful of dependencies, download a zip file of Lazarus _2_2_0_rc2 and build that. You get a much newer Lazarus, its all in user space and you can see it build.

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Johan van der Merwe

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 10:34:08 am »
Hi Andreas

Thanks for all the replies. I will go ahead and try and follow your outlined steps.

I did find something in the code that might also explain why I am running into trouble. I decided to try and also rebuild each package that is required by Indy (as far as I could tell) from the package manager interface in Lazarus. The one package, "fppkgpackagemanager.lpk" gives me an error when I try to compile it. Basically I get an error stating:
fppkg_optionsfrm.pas(287,43) Error: Identifier not found "llProgress"
I have checked and it seem that
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. llProgress
is defined elsewhere as
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. llProgres
, with just one s at the end.
I have included two screen shots to show the issue. I think that if this error was fixed, I might be able to resolve my installation issue, perhaps fpdebug is dependent on fppkgpackagemanager, which gives an error.

Hope it helps someone.

I will go ahead and try and install everything manually.

Regards

Johan van der Merwe

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 12:09:43 pm »
Hi

Just an update. I did use fpcupdeluxe and installed everything successfully from scratch. FYI for any newbs like me out there, basically fpcupdeluxe is a script/app that you use to install and manage the PFC and Lazarus installation and packages (so you do not use the package manager within Lazarus).
If you google it, there are a few nice Youtube video clips that helped me a lot.
The video clip I used was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOzaALQyI9E
but I am sure there are other good ones too. The advice in the posts below also helped.

Thanks for everyone's help. Much appreciated.

af0815

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 01:55:14 pm »
It is better for packages, to use OPM (Online Package Manager) inside of Lazarus. The packages there are normally more stable. The packages in OPM are normal mainainend and bugfixed.

For fpc/Lazarus use fpcupdeluxe, for the packages use OPM. This is a winning couple.

THX to DonAlfredo and GetMem for their work.
regards
Andreas

TinyPortal © 2005-2018