Forum > Windows (32/64)

Win 10 install gone bad

(1/3) > >>

svtdoug:
Well, this is not going well from the start.  Lazarus wants to install in the root of my C:\\ drive?  WTFO?  In fact, if I try to select the conventional Windows location for program files of c:\\Program Files\ or c:\\Program Files (X86)\- it can't accept spaces in the path?  WTFO.   Why is this?

Thanks,
Doug

trev:
It is saving you from making a mistake. You do NOT want to install anything to which you need write access in your c:\Program Files\ or c:\Program Files (X86)\ directories.

af0815:
And spaces in path makes often problems in tools, scripts or makescripts (in the past). Don't forget Lazarus must build itself and this makes the use of "c:\program files\" difficult. You must not use the root direct, i use a special directory "c:\data\" as a base location for alle program tools.

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: trev on November 15, 2021, 04:37:19 am ---You do NOT want to install anything to which you need write access in your c:\Program Files\ or c:\Program Files (X86)\ directories.

--- End quote ---

Afaik a write only install is fully supported. (it works on Linux, and should on Win too)

The problem is the mentioned "tools" => Lazarus and Fpc sometime use tools from the GNU collection. Like: make, windres, gdb ....
Especially windres can not always be avoided (afaik, it will/may/can be replaced by fpcres, as soon as that will be released)

Some of those tools fail, if they need to be given a filename that includes a space. While on Linux those spaces can be escaped, afaik on Windows they can not (or no one has figured out how).

That is why the installer, does not want spaces...

Yet, that may actually not be a requirement for the install dir. It may possible be more an issue with where you save your projects. But I have not recently tested this.
And I guess no one else has. So potentially this "no space" issue is (at least partly) an artefact, or maybe not.

Jorg3000:

--- Quote ---While on Linux those spaces can be escaped, afaik on Windows they can not (or no one has figured out how).
--- End quote ---

On Windows, command line parameters can be enclosed in quotes if they contain a space.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version