Forum > General

Feature ideas for IDE

(1/3) > >>

Tony Stone:
Just wanted to throw out a couple ideas I have for the IDE. 

1.  The docked form editor is very cool.  I like it but it would be great if there was a way to undock the form momentarily to position things in a maximized window for example.

2.  I some how ended up with a large amount of non visual components on my form.  It looks messy and it seems to me to be a waste of resources for the form editor to be redrawing them.  Why isn't there a possible drop down type list that can sit in the forms titlebar(just an idea for position) that shows a drop down type of list of your non visual components?  Wouldn't this be cleaner?  Even if it was a simple drop down list that is non visual itself, that you can move around the form to keep it out of the way. 

As I get better at working with FPC and Lazarus I want to make improvements to the IDE.

Would anyone find these functions useful?

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: Tony Stone on November 13, 2021, 05:47:26 pm ---2.  I some how ended up with a large amount of non visual components on my form.  It looks messy and it seems to me to be a waste of resources for the form editor to be redrawing them.  Why isn't there a possible drop down type list that can sit in the forms titlebar(just an idea for position) that shows a drop down type of list of your non visual components?  Wouldn't this be cleaner?  Even if it was a simple drop down list that is non visual itself, that you can move around the form to keep it out of the way. 

--- End quote ---

Surely that's already done adequately by the Object Inspector?

MarkMLl

Tony Stone:

--- Quote from: MarkMLl on November 13, 2021, 06:14:48 pm ---
--- Quote from: Tony Stone on November 13, 2021, 05:47:26 pm ---2.  I some how ended up with a large amount of non visual components on my form.  It looks messy and it seems to me to be a waste of resources for the form editor to be redrawing them.  Why isn't there a possible drop down type list that can sit in the forms titlebar(just an idea for position) that shows a drop down type of list of your non visual components?  Wouldn't this be cleaner?  Even if it was a simple drop down list that is non visual itself, that you can move around the form to keep it out of the way. 

--- End quote ---

Surely that's already done adequately by the Object Inspector?

MarkMLl

--- End quote ---

Yes, I suppose you are right.  And I can simple tick the Show Non Visual Components in the forms context menu to hide them.  I'm just thinking it could be a clean way to isolate them is all.  I would need to try and implement it and try it to see if I really liked it.  Speaking of the object inspector... not sure what happened but last night i built the trunk and my object inspector is no longer a list... its a drop down "list"  lol... i dont like it at all!

Well... i fixed the component tree.  I may have  accidentally unticked the checkbox playing with the options.  But a menu like that is what I was thinking would be cool for the non visual components....

jamie:
use a module for the non visible but I understand your point. Even with a module it can be hard to link events to items on the form at design time.

A separate pane window could be used to toggle to view of these types of items that still remains associated with the form they are active on.

Tony Stone:

--- Quote from: jamie on November 13, 2021, 07:24:40 pm ---use a module for the non visible but I understand your point. Even with a module it can be hard to link events to items on the form at design time.

A separate pane window could be used to toggle to view of these types of items that still remains associated with the form they are active on.

--- End quote ---

Not sure what you mean by using a module.  Do you mean go to File  --> New --> Module --> Date Module ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version