Forum > General

Any way to turn off "Backup" and "Lib" folder creation?

(1/2) > >>

QEnnay:
The Backup system seems to take it upon itself to restore stuff. Is there any way I can prevent that happening by it asking first if I want to restore something from Lib/Backup folders?

I sometimes find myself working on something I thought I had previously changed. I manually go into the Backup folder and find the previous file and sure enough there are the changes. I have no idea why an earlier file was selected to restore instead.

I don't always close Lazarus with a fully functional and stable version of code. When I start next day, I suspect it does some code checking and thinks I screwed yesterday up and need to start again with a previous file. Just a guess though.

How do I stop this behavior or at least get it to ask **if I want** something restored?

trev:
You can turn it off in Tools > Options > Environment - see pic.

I've never had it "restore stuff" ever across FreeBSD, macOS or Linux.

QEnnay:

--- Quote from: trev on November 06, 2021, 01:02:33 am ---You can turn it off in Tools > Options > Environment - see pic.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that

--- Quote from: trev on November 06, 2021, 01:02:33 am ---I've never had it "restore stuff" ever across FreeBSD, macOS or Linux.

--- End quote ---

I think it only happens under specific circumstances and I have no idea what they may be. And, it happens silently so one would have no idea if it has Restored or not.

I suspect during start up with "reload last project" set, it does a code-sanity-check and if it finds something wrong it restores stuff. I sometimes leave a couple of keyboard characters in the text that trigger a compile-error so can find where I was before shutting it down. On a new day, I hit [F9] and there I be. :)

Have you ever tried using  [shift]+[ctrl]+[c] when creating a new function or procedure. It does some form of code-sanity check and will do nothing unless it passes the test. I suspect it may be something similar for this silent Restore.

ezlage:
As Trev said, you can turn off backup. I use Lazarus with Git, so, I can restore whatever I want and I don't need the backup feature from Lazarus.
About the "lib" directory, you can do just like me, setting the test directory as the output place for compiling. Take a look at the attachments.

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: QEnnay on November 07, 2021, 03:58:23 pm ---I think it only happens under specific circumstances and I have no idea what they may be. And, it happens silently so one would have no idea if it has Restored or not.

--- End quote ---

I've not seen anything like that on Debian Linux /but/ it's possible for the IDE to get into a slightly confused mistake if the project paths include ../ or possibly symlinks. Watch out for a tab annotated (2) etc., I think that's inclined to happen if the IDE sees a compilation error.

MarkMLl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version