Forum > Documentation (Maintaining -)

Wiki Article

<< < (7/9) > >>

Nimral:
Agree with Thaddy, marking it "outdated" would IMHO be a good practice, deleting breaks links in search engines, tables of contents, forum posts and so on. And it could be a starting point/encouragement for someone who tries a similar project to write about it once he got something finished that could help others. I'd include a suggestion to contribute right in the "outdated" note.

Another suggestion I have been peddling around with for a couple of weeks now is translations. I found articles with fairly well managed English pages, and attached to it horrific German translations, some of them begun a decade ago and abandoned after copy/paste of some rather useless passages from Wikipedia.

I'd really appreciate a established procedure to remove those pages and replace them with a link to the English page and/or a hint, that Google Translate [or any other translators]  have evolved greatly and do deliver results which are far better than the dreaded MSDN gibberish presented years ago.

I'd also advocate that, if one contributes to the Wiki, he always does so in the English pages first, and then, once finished, check the automated translation into his native language. I was surprised how few really significant mistakes Google Translate made. In case something is translated horribly wrong, I could always solve the issue by finding an alternative English text which translates better.

af0815:

--- Quote from: Nimral on January 31, 2022, 03:11:22 pm ---I'd also advocate that, if one contributes to the Wiki, he always does so in the English pages first, and then, once finished, check the automated translation into his native language.

--- End quote ---
I say this is a nogo. There are some very good articles in a non english language (eg. AVR) and to inhibit such good input is a a no-go. Other people will then publish this not on the common wiki and create their foreign language based wiki.     

Translation should be a two way process. And automated translation in one direction only intend to lost a lot of information. If you do a guided translation in both way it will be ok.

trev:

--- Quote from: af0815 on January 31, 2022, 04:08:03 pm ---There are some very good articles in a non english language (eg. AVR) and to inhibit such good input is a a no-go.
--- End quote ---

I believe I translated all Mathias' German AVR articles into English in January 2020 :)

dbannon:

--- Quote from: Nimral on January 31, 2022, 03:11:22 pm ---No, as someone who only speaks English, I would be very against and 'rule' that says an initial version of a wiki document must be in English. Thats would exclude contributions from people unable (or just unwilling) to do so and, more importantly, be quite culturally insulting.
--- End quote ---

Agreed. Mathias' AVR articles which were originally only in German were invaluable and to deny their existence would have been very unhelpful to say the least.

(I can read/write French, Latin :), and a little German - in order of proficiency. My lessons in those languages were 50 years ago now, so I'm hardly that proficient anymore.)

EDIT by DBannon - the above words are not mine. My words have been removed and replaced. The quote that claims to be from Nimral are my words. There is either some corruption to the database or an over zealous admin editing without due care.

Admin edits should very rarely be necessary and if they are it should be clear who made the edit and what was changed.

No, I do not speak French, Latin or German. Wish I could but I don't  ;-)

End of DBannon edit

Nimral:
If there are more such articles one can reverse my process: shove them into a translator --> English, copy the outcome over into the English page, do some fine-tuning if necessary, save, done.

To eventually eliminate the synchronisation process between the English and German page, I'd then try to establish "my" default process: let the English page translate to German, check whether I can live with the outcome, and, if yes, replace the German page with a translation link.

Will work, IMHO, 99%. For the remaining 1%, both pages may peacefully exist like they do today, but the non-English authors should be urged to actively search someone who updates the English page ASAP. The "Translators" forum looks promising for finding someone.

I herewith volunteer to help German speakers in that matter.

Armin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version