Recent

Author Topic: Bring Lazarus to front under linux is very tedious  (Read 3806 times)

Tommi

Bring Lazarus to front under linux is very tedious
« on: October 29, 2021, 10:58:35 am »
When I overlap  a window (for example Firefox) over Lazarus, and after that I want to go back to the IDE, I have to manually click on each icon for every window of Lazarus (Object inspector, Forms, Messages, Lazarus IDE etc.).

Under windows there isn't this effect because the icon of lazarus is unique and clicking that I bring to front all IDE's components.

How could I solve this?

Thank you

howardpc

Re: Bring Lazarus to front under linux is very tedious
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 11:12:14 am »
Tools -> Options

In the IDE Options dialog  Environment, Window page ensure the "Show single button in TaskBar" checkbox is checked.
However, there may be Linux window managers that do not respect this setting.

MarkMLl

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 01:10:48 pm »
Thanks for that Howard... appears to work in KDE (from Debian "Buster") but as you point out there's a lot of desktop environment (which these days includes the Window Manager) possibilities.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Tommi

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 07:58:28 pm »
Tools -> Options

In the IDE Options dialog  Environment, Window page ensure the "Show single button in TaskBar" checkbox is checked.
However, there may be Linux window managers that do not respect this setting.

Thank you, Howard. On Cinnamon it doesn't work so good,  because when Lazarus is reduced, if I click on the icon it open just the toolbar of lazarus. After that I have to click on desktop and click again on the icon to make all other windows appearing.
In any case it's still better than noting.

Thank you,
Bye

PierceNg

• SamadhiWeb
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 03:19:11 am »
Thank you, Howard. On Cinnamon it doesn't work so good,  because when Lazarus is reduced, if I click on the icon it open just the toolbar of lazarus. After that I have to click on desktop and click again on the icon to make all other windows appearing.

You could try https://wiki.freepascal.org/Anchor_Docking. See usage II further down that page. This makes Lazarus kinda MDI with fewer windows to click on.

alpine

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 08:09:36 am »
Thanks from me too, howardpc.

Does anybody knows why my Lazarus doesn't want to keep the settings in IDE Options/Environment/Window for the next time it starts?

Same with both versions, fpcupdeluxe installed:
Lazarus 1.9.0 r64660M FPC 3.1.1 x86_64-linux-gtk2, Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Lazarus 1.9.0 r63034 FPC 3.1.1 i386-win32-win32/win64, Windows 10
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
—HAL 9000

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 08:40:38 am »
Possibly because you're using a very old "in development" version of Lazarus circa 2017/18. Many bugs have been fixed since then.

Tommi

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 09:30:47 am »

You could try https://wiki.freepascal.org/Anchor_Docking. See usage II further down that page. This makes Lazarus kinda MDI with fewer windows to click on.

Thank You!!!!

AnchorDockingDsgn is a very good plus for Lazarus and it should be advertised much much more. It would be wonderful if Lazarus would be released with a docked/undocked option.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018