Forum > Free Pascal

Preparing FPC 3.2.4, point out road blocks now

<< < (5/9) > >>

FPK:

--- Quote from: Fred vS on October 26, 2021, 02:14:50 am ---Hello.

After high fight I found the commit that makes me problems:
Commit ee10850a of 17 Oct, 2021: Reducing and aligning ...
https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source/-/commit/ee10850a5793b69b19dc82b9c28342bdd0018f2e

Since that commit all my applications do not run anymore.

So maybe your patch for fpc 3.2.4 for -Cg will work but I cannot test it with last trunk 3.3.1 ( because of this ee10850a commit ).

[Out of the subject of the topic]
For msegui and some other console apps (did not test LCL), there is a serious problem since commit ee10850a5793.

--- End quote ---

Well, they probably make assumptions about internla structures they shouldn't:

https://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_Trunk#System_-_Ref._count_of_strings

But please keep such unrelated things out of this thread. It is about regressions of 3.2.3 against 3.2.2 and 3.0.4

Fred vS:

--- Quote from: FPK on October 26, 2021, 08:23:26 pm ---But please keep such unrelated things out of this thread. It is about regressions of 3.2.3 against 3.2.2 and 3.0.4

--- End quote ---

OK, ok ( but you asked me  :-[) :
--- Quote ---Can you please check after baa28faa19 with main/3.3.1? If it helps, I merge it.
--- End quote ---

And to check it, better to be able to run it...
Anyway, like explained in last post, with last fixes-3.2.3 the PIE binary is created at linking with a warning from linker and runs ok, like with fpc 3.0.4 (where there was no warning).

With your patch pic-field, the link is OK too, without any warning.
Imho a little note like "PIE link done." would be welcome, my 0.0001 cent, of course.

Fre;D

PS: If you want, I may apply your pic-field patch for 3.3.1 to  3.2.3 and see if all is OK ( but it should be ok ).

dbannon:

--- Quote from: Fred vS on October 26, 2021, 02:49:08 pm ---
Sorry but I dont understand.
What fixes, in previous post it is only to compile + install original fpc 3.2.3.

--- End quote ---

When I download FPC fixes_3_2, compile and install, the resulting fpc reports itself as being 3.2.0 - I expect it to be 3.2.3 as mentioned several times in this thread.

Just to be clear, I download https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source/-/archive/fixes_3_2/source-fixes_3_2.zip. It includes a version.pas file that does have appropriate version numbers in it (but a very out of date copyright statement) but when that source is used, compiled and installed I get -

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---dbannon@dell:~/bin/FPC/fixes_3_2/bin$ pwd/home/dbannon/bin/FPC/fixes_3_2/bindbannon@dell:~/bin/FPC/fixes_3_2/bin$ ls -la fpc-rwxr-xr-x 1 dbannon dbannon 518512 Oct 26 18:47 fpcdbannon@dell:~/bin/FPC/fixes_3_2/bin$ ./fpc -iV3.2.0                                         // this line should say 3.2.3 IMHOdbannon@dell:~/bin/FPC/fixes_3_2/bin$
See, fpc -iv reports itself as being 3.2.0, -iW reports the same thing - I would expect it to be 3.2.3 or, even 3.2.2 but certainly not 3.2.0.  And the copyright ....

I would like to test fixes_3_2, the one that is likely to become 3.2.4 shortly, I believe it is tagged 3.2.3. Like you Fred, I am interested in the Hardening, especially if changes are being made to how it works this late in the process. I think its important that end users like me test things like FPC but if I cannot be sure just what I am testing, there is no point.

I am the first to admit I may be doing something wrong, but if I am, maybe its because the correct process is unclear ?  Other potential users may be just as silly as I apparently am.

Davo

Fred vS:

--- Quote from: dbannon on October 27, 2021, 01:20:50 am ---
I am the first to admit I may be doing something wrong, but if I am, maybe its because the correct process is unclear ?  Other potential users may be just as silly as I apparently am.

Davo

--- End quote ---

Please, could you give the script that you used to compile + install fpc?

[EDITED]

Here the content of /compiler/version.pas that I get from  https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source/-/archive/fixes_3_2/source-fixes_3_2.zip.

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---unit version; {$i fpcdefs.inc} interface     const       { version string }       version_nr = '3';       release_nr = '2';       patch_nr   = '3';       minorpatch = '';
Very strange that you get something else...

dbannon:

--- Quote from: Fred vS on October 27, 2021, 01:40:06 am ---
Please, could you give the script that you used to compile + install fpc?

--- End quote ---

No script needed, its just -

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---make allmake install INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/dbannon/bin/FPC/fixes_3_2/Thats all I have ever used for that job.

--- Quote ---Here the content of /compiler/version.pas that I get from  https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source/-/archive/fixes_3_2/source-fixes_3_2.zip.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I quoted the same content from version.pas several posts ago. Thats why I considered it worth raising.

I think I will try the same process on a clean vm, but it will require FPC3.2.[0,2] of course....

Davo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version