Recent

Author Topic: Interbase 7.5  (Read 4254 times)

SymbolicFrank

Interbase 7.5
« on: October 18, 2021, 06:27:04 pm »
Does anyone know how I can read the contents of IB 7.5 databases, so I can upgrade / migrate them? I tried connecting the files to Firebird 2.5 / Interbase 2020, but they weren't recognized: too old for IB 2020 and too new for FB 2.5. Interbase datapump also doesn't recognize them and ID surgeons FirstAid shows lots of red and little data.

It might be corrupted, but it seems Interbase 7.x is really badly supported, because Firebird split off with Interbase 6, and IIRC, Interbase 7 was a paid version. So there is little software that (still) supports it. I couldn't find any.

Edit: the database version is 11.2, but Firebird also has that version databases, which are different. That's probably the main problem.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 06:33:15 pm by SymbolicFrank »

marsupilami79

Re: Interbase 7.5
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 01:13:22 pm »
Hello Frank,

your best bet is to use an Interbase 7.5 server and its gds32.dll. Then you can use Zeos and its interbase driver to connect to the database. The Firebird client library should also be able to connect but some data types might not be supported, if Interbase 7.5 introduced new data types.
Interase 7.5 was distributed with older versions of Delphi. If Embacadero continues to be backwards compatible in newer interbase versions you might be able to use IBLite / IBToGo for accessing the database. But that is not guaranteed.

Best regards,

Jan
Zeos developer

delphi2pk

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 07:04:25 am »
Me too facing the same problem and do not found any solution yet.

loaded

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 09:06:31 am »
If your goal is just to recover data and the operating system you are using is windows.
Finding and installing ODBC drivers for the relevant database, and then connecting with the object component model is an alternative way to recover your data.

Note:
While connecting with the component object model;
- You can use Lazarus. Or you can save and run a regular text file as vbs.
The second method will give you convenience and speed while doing trial and error.
Check out  loaded on Strava
https://www.strava.com/athletes/109391137

SymbolicFrank

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 10:36:57 am »
Do the ODBC drivers work without the database server?

There are tools that can open and read the file directly, like the datapump from the first post. Or perhaps a no-server Delphi component. Which might work if I could find a version that still supports that format. The current ones all require a file version of at least 18, like the Interbase 2020 server and component does.

A version that hasn't been recompiled in the last 15 years or so.

loaded

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 10:56:22 am »

I'm not sure, but ODBC can read directly from the data file without the need for a server.I had previously accessed and read the Filemaker and Access  databases this way. My thought is, if you have no other option left;
If you have data files and you can find ODBC drivers, it's worth a try.
Check out  loaded on Strava
https://www.strava.com/athletes/109391137

marsupilami79

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 11:28:46 am »
In the interbase case: no. They will need the gds32.dll and the interbase server. The server software usually should be installed on the system that serverd your database until now.
Zeos developer

TinyPortal © 2005-2018