Recent

Author Topic: pas2js download link broken  (Read 6574 times)

prof7bit

pas2js download link broken
« on: October 17, 2021, 03:02:48 pm »
https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/pas2js#Where_to_get_it

links to here:
ftp://ftpmaster.freepascal.org/fpc/contrib/pas2js/snapshot
or here:
ftp://ftpmaster.freepascal.org/fpc/contrib/pas2js

and obviously none of these links are reachable by the browser anymore in 2021. Please provide new download links that don't require the user to install an FTP client.

Maybe also include it in the online package manager to make it easier to install this.

af0815

Re: pas2js download link broken
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 03:44:05 pm »
Maybe also include it in the online package manager to make it easier to install this.
OPM is for Lazarus Packages, and this is for FPC. So it will not be possible to use/maintain it by OPM

pas2js is on gitlab too. https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/pas2js so you need not to install a ftp client. But this is originally a problem of the browser-developer, they decide to remove the ftp protocol, because nobody want ist anymore  :o
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 03:46:55 pm by af0815 »
regards
Andreas

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 04:10:46 pm »
Well, NO, since pas2js is a default package it will be compiled by OPM of course... That also means it is maintained by the core FPC team since it is part of the default packages in the distribution.
And the only thing dropped from some modern browsers is ftp, not e.g. sftp or any other secure channel mechanism.

Main thing is that Freepascal changed to using git over svn and there are still some dead links. You may report those against "website" as bugs.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 04:14:22 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

prof7bit

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 04:14:42 pm »
Well, NO, since pas2js is a default package it will be compiled by OPM of course...
I cannot find it in the packages nor in OPM. The only thing I have found is the design package which adds relevant features to lazarus, but something is still missing (compiler? RTL?) to make such a project actually compile.

af0815

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 05:30:21 pm »
The transpiler itself is fpc, the package you found only the 'sugar' for Lazarus. It is the same like SQLDB or fpReport. All this packages are FPC-Packages and the componnets in Lazarus are like bridges to the pure fpc-parts. Not the main part.
regards
Andreas

prof7bit

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 05:34:46 pm »
The transpiler itself is fpc, the package you found only the 'sugar' for Lazarus. It is the same like SQLDB or fpReport. All this packages are FPC-Packages and the componnets in Lazarus are like bridges to the pure fpc-parts. Not the main part.

This means if I create a new project and it says "Can't find unit system", shoud I report this bug against FPC? Or should I report it against Lazarus because the wizard forgot to add a needed package?

af0815

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 06:59:41 pm »
This means if I create a new project and it says "Can't find unit system", shoud I report this bug against FPC? Or should I report it against Lazarus because the wizard forgot to add a needed package?
If the cross compiling enviroment is not correct, so you must ask, who is responsible for this ? How have you installed the transpiler ?

Normal, i see the message unit system is not found, if the system is not correct installed or configured. This is not a problem of Lazarus.
regards
Andreas

prof7bit

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 07:07:00 pm »
If the cross compiling enviroment is not correct, so you must ask, who is responsible for this ? How have you installed the transpiler ?

Normal, i see the message unit system is not found, if the system is not correct installed or configured. This is not a problem of Lazarus.

I installed Lazarus and FPC with Fpcupdeluxe. So this would mean fpcupdeluxe did something wrong.

the compiler itself seems to be installed, this is the complete error message:
Code: [Select]
Pas2JS Compiler version 2.1.1 [2021/10/16] for Linux x86_64
Info: (132) Message encoding is utf-8
Copyright (c) 2021 Free Pascal team.
Info: (126) Parsing /home/bernd/foldersync/Galaxy10/Work/ps2js/test-01/project1.lpr ...
/home/bernd/foldersync/Galaxy10/Work/ps2js/test-01/project1.lpr(5,5) Error: (3073) can't find unit "System"
Fatal: (118) Compilation aborted

is it possible that it is missing its fpc.cfg?

PierceNg

• SamadhiWeb
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 11:28:06 am »
is it possible that it is missing its fpc.cfg?

pas2js uses pas2js.cfg. On Linux, it is at $HOME/.pas2js.cfg. Mine includes lines pointing to where I installed pas2js:

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. -Fu/home/pierce/pkg/pas2js/dist/
  2. -Fu/home/pierce/pkg/pas2js/packages/*

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 01:17:57 pm »
The transpiler itself is fpc, the package you found only the 'sugar' for Lazarus.

No, it's not. pas2js is contained in a separate repository, it only uses code that's part of FPC (namely fcl-passrc).

Also the pas2js related packages for the RTL (or anything else) must not be installed in Lazarus, because then Lazarus will try to compile them with FPC which is wrong. One simply needs to open e.g. the pas2js_rtl package once and then add it as a requirement to a Pas2JS project (which requires one package to be installed: Pas2JSDsgn which is provided together with Lazarus).

prof7bit

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 05:55:28 pm »
The pas2js compiler came with a standard fpc install (made with fpcupdeluxe), I did not git clone or install any other packages from any other repository. It was installed into the same directory as the fpc binary. Why is the pas2js-rtl maintained in a separate repository when the pas2js compiler itself is part of fpc?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018