Recent

Author Topic: Connection between GameMaker Studio and Lazarus?  (Read 7712 times)

ddabrahim

Connection between GameMaker Studio and Lazarus?
« on: October 10, 2021, 01:29:16 pm »
Hi.

I am new to Lazarus and FreePascal and one thing that really got my attention is that in the applications section GameMaker Studio is mentioned to be written in Delphi and this page here claim that Lazarus and FreePascal was used to port GameMaker Studio Win32 to macOS:

https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Case_Studies#Game_development

I think it is very interesting considering GameMaker Studio is one of the most popular commercial game making tool out there.
Is there any more information about this anywhere to read? Does anyone know if GameMaker Studio 2 was also written in FreePascal and if yes, how much, is it the entire IDE or just the runtime, compiler, GML scripting language, Drawing tool, which part of GameMaker was written in FreePascal exactly?

I find this very inspiring would love to learn more about it.

Thanks.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus

ddabrahim

Re: Connection between GameMaker Studio and Lazarus?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 04:39:47 pm »
Thank you for the link. Judging from the dates that discussion took place around the time when GameMaker (Classic) 7, 8, 8.1 was released.
Wondering how much of their codebase is still written in Pascal today for Studio 2 if any.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 08:06:04 am »
Wondering how much of their codebase is still written in Pascal today for Studio 2 if any.
None, I guess. They switched to .NET (C#) for the IDE and C++ for the runtime due to this.

ddabrahim

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 10:10:35 pm »
Thank you for the link to that article. Guess it makes sense Studio 2 is a complete rewrite in C++ and C# because it was getting difficult to maintain and to find programmers who knows Delphi.
But I can see GameMaker is not the only popular tool started in Pascal, some websites mention also Photoshop and Skype was originally written in Pascal.
It is unfortunate these projects could not stick with Pascal.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 08:52:52 pm »
Main reason people aren't using [Object] Pascal today is, mainly:
  • Microsoft's great marketing (and some unethical moves as Windows detecting if an application was made with non MS tools).
  • Embarcadero's horrible marketing.
Sad but it's true.
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

ddabrahim

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 11:53:25 pm »
Yes bad marketing certainly one of the reason.

I was digging the web for cross-platform app development tool kits, frameworks, libraries and visual GUI builders in the past few years and I have never seen Lazarus and Delphi come up in any list or search engine for any terms I was searching for but Flutter, React, Xamarin, wxWidgets, Gnome Builder, Electron and other Web based UI kits. I learned Turbo Pascal many years ago but since then everybody told me Pascal is dead so I have never even considered to look at it again until now. Don't even know why I just googled Pascal programming and this is how I have discovered Free Pascal and Lazarus.

Honestly I am shocked to see such an amazing and modern IDE with a cross platform visual GUI builder and modern programming language like Object Pascal is buried in an old corner of the web and not known, nobody is talking about it anywhere. I have mixed feelings about it, I love the potential I see but I dislike the fact it is being so isolated and ignored by the world, yet the showcase section demonstrate lot of potential.

It is so surreal, it is alive and thriving but also dead at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:55:06 pm by ddabrahim »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018