Forum > LCL

[SOLVED] TOpenDialog - 100% CPU - Fan Revs Up

<< < (3/8) > >>

del:

--- Quote from: engkin on October 12, 2021, 09:48:46 pm ---It seems both SaveDialog and OpenDialog are taking long time. Moreover, OpenDialog seems faster with higher number of images.

Would it be possible to share some hardware specs?
Is this HDD or SSD based folder?
Anti-virus software?

--- End quote ---
There's some lag when the dialog opens before it will let me click on it. And there's some variable delay as I move the mouse and make my selection. The drive is hardware. No anti-virus. In Windows I could tell the PC to not index certain directories and that would greatly speed up the response in directories that contained temporary video frames. Maybe I can do something similar with Manjaro.

CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-7700 (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 3309/800/4200 MHz Kernel:  .4.150-1-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 3d 3h 4m  Mem: 4007.8/15904.7 MiB (25.2%) Storage: 1.82 TiB (41.6% used) Procs: 245 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.06

engkin:
What GTK version are you using? Major and minor?
What file filter/s you have set for TOpenDialog?

Screenshot of the OpenDialog might be helpful.

PopulateFileAndDirectory in lcl/interfaces/gtk2/gtk2proc.inc

del:
OK here's another clue. The problem seems to only happen when the dialog goes into a directory which has a lot of files AND new files are being dumped into it in real time. If I'm receiving a video stream and converting it into frames, and these frames are being dumped into a directory, that directory will hang up the open file dialog.

I think it gets confused and stalled by the constant pouring in of new frame images. I have a similar app based on wxWidgets and its open file dialog just adds the new filenames to the list as they appear in the directory. So basically an "active" directory with tens of thousands of files will stall the open file dialog and trap the user. OTOH wxWidgets allows the user to escape the "active" directory (with tons of files) by clicking on a sub directory or the parent directory (or Cancel).

loaded:
In the window operating system; If you are dealing with multiple files containing Video and Images and you want speed.
-You should turn off the file indexing service. [I think you did this]
-You should turn off thumbnail caching. Thumbs.db should be disabled.
I haven't tried it, but I think it will be useful for your project.

del:
The OS is Linux Manjaro. My short term workaround is to make my streaming frame directory lower in the tree than anything else I might want to work on. That way I won't have to ever "click through" the streaming directory when I'm navigating to somewhere else. If I actually have to do something in the streaming directory I'll just have to wait until the stream ends, which I would normally do anyway. The problem is having the dialog get hung up when it goes into the streaming directory DURING streaming / downloading.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version