Recent

Author Topic: Application runs as a child of Lazarus  (Read 1974 times)

Grahame Grieve

Application runs as a child of Lazarus
« on: October 05, 2021, 08:03:13 am »
When I'm debugging my application, it brings up a window, but the window is a child of the Lazarus process, and it doesn't appear as it's own application. I'm not starting the application the normal way in the .dpr - it's a console application thtat brings up a window to emulate the console, so I can see what's going on while I debug. but I thought I'd started it equivalently.... what should I be looking for?

MarkMLl

Re: Application runs as a child of Lazarus
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 08:52:58 am »
Well, of course a program being debugged is a child of Lazarus... or strictly, it's a child of the debugger which is a child of Lazarus.

Do you really mean that you don't like your output being in the "Console In/Output" window? In that case try starting the program from the console and then attach (Run -> Attach to program) which should be a bit better behaved.

All subject to Lazarus version, OS etc. about which you've told us nothing.

I did a bit of work on the console window a couple of years ago, but I think that the whole thing is a bit of a struggle particularly where non-ANSI characters are involved. Some of the stuff I put in might have got lost since but while it would be nice to have fully-formatted output I'm not sure that that ideal is compatible with the window being informative as to what the program being debugged is really doing.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Grahame Grieve

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 03:01:31 pm »
I didn't say the OS, since I posted on the MacOS board. So: MacOS. Using trunk of FPC and Lazarus. There's no console in MacOS - that's what the docs say: windows has a console, linux has the console view, but MacOS... nothing.

Other programs I've debugged run as their own application (e.g. alt-tab) not child windows of Lazarus. So I'm wondering what's different about this application as opposed to others

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 04:15:25 pm »
Not sure. But I would expect such behaviour to be controlled by the lldb exe (or gdb if you still use that).

I don't know Mac very well. But I believe that a console app should be started from a pre-existing console?
Under Linux the IDE has "view > debug > console output". But that does not work on Mac. (Nobody seems to know how to implement it).

However lldb has an option to open a new console before launching an app. That can be controlled in the global debugger settings: Tools > Options > debugger > backend.

This then applies to all your projects. However, you can create 2 lldb backends (with/without this setting), and then in the project settings chose either backend.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 12:36:49 am »
I find using NSLog to log debug output useful. See Using stdout and stderr for logging and debugging.
Lazarus 2.3, FPC 3.3.1 macOS 12.0.1 x86_64 Xcode 13.1
Lazarus 2.3, FPC 3.3.1 macOS 12.0.1 aarch64 Xcode 13.1
Lazarus 2.3, FPC 3.2.2 FreeBSD 13.0 amd64 VM
Lazarus 2.3, FPC 3.2.2 FreeBSD 12.2 amd64 VM
Lazarus 2.1 r61574 FPC 3.0.4 Ubuntu 20.04 VM
Lazarus 2.0.10 FPC 3.2.0 Win10 VM

TinyPortal © 2005-2018