Recent

Author Topic: Adding all packages,components and libraries like in Codetyphoon  (Read 5823 times)

balazsszekely

Re: Adding all packages,components and libraries like in Codetyphoon
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 08:07:31 pm »
@sheeptheanarchist

then i tried rx but boom.. same error again.. i really do not know what i am doing wrong but i am fed up
For the moment Rx is not working: https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,34297.msg417853.html#msg417853

wp

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 12:01:37 am »
Whenever i try online package manager, downloads all contents but doesnt compile or install lots of packages/components

It always says unable to create eyecandycontrolz zip bla bla.. i also have enough hdd space

You probably had run the installation of the EyeCandyControls before and thus have the unzipped package files already on your disk. In this situation I can confirm that this is an issue. The problem is that the package contains a write-protected jpeg file, and when you execute the installation a second time the unzipper must abort the installation because it cannot overwrite this file. Maybe OPM has to be modified to take care of this situation (https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,34297.msg419813.html#msg419813).

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2021, 12:51:40 pm »
i really do not know what i am doing wrong but i am fed up :(
Let me explain. Every CodeTyphon version is fixed to specific FPC and Lazarus version, which both were the most recent at the time when it was decided to go with another release. So, it is easier to have package being tested against just one FPC/LAZ combo. From time to time they drop some components when they do not catch up with trunk FPC and LAZ. On the other hand, OPM collects so many packages from different authors, OPM is just used for distribution, and each author is responsible for testing his own packages. However, OPM is distributed with so many LAZ/FPC combos, that authors even in their craziest effort would not be able to test them all. For example, some users will try to install package on some old LAZ 1.6 with FPC 3.04 on x86 Debian, someone else will try the same package on LAZ 2.0 with FPC 3.2 on x64 Windows, another one will try with LAZ trunk and FPC trunk on Pi (32 or 64) or even some old ARMv5 or ARMv6 board, and another while chasing a bug that shows just on Apple M1. Do you really expect that everything compiles everywhere in all possible combos? That is not a realistic expectation. A package can be made for latest FPC, while you might have old 3.0.4, or FPC and LAZ move on but author did not upgrade his package (or OPM version was not yet updated). To ease things a little, some packages provide info on what platform and FPC/LAZ combos they have been tested. As an example, most of CodeTyphon packages in OPM (they all have pl_ prefix) are tested with stable FPC/LAZ combo on Windows x32 and Linux x64. But even in such a case, you can not expect a Windows specific package to magically work on Linux just because it is available in OPM.

So, when you find that some package does not work, uninstall it and report it to the author mentioning your exact FPC/LAZ/OS/Bitness combo and see where that goes. And never install more then few packages at once, so that you can easily do a manual roll back. Or... simply stay with CodeTyphon if that works for your use case.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:58:24 pm by avra »
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

balazsszekely

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 01:37:13 pm »
Thanks @avra. I lost the will to explain the same thing over and over again. You did an excellent job describing the issue with packages inside OPM. I will bookmark your response for further reference.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 01:41:43 pm by GetMem »

wp

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 02:38:00 pm »
Whenever i try online package manager, downloads all contents but doesnt compile or install lots of packages/components

It always says unable to create eyecandycontrolz zip bla bla.. i also have enough hdd space

You probably had run the installation of the EyeCandyControls before and thus have the unzipped package files already on your disk. In this situation I can confirm that this is an issue. The problem is that the package contains a write-protected jpeg file, and when you execute the installation a second time the unzipper must abort the installation because it cannot overwrite this file. Maybe OPM has to be modified to take care of this situation (https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,34297.msg419813.html#msg419813).
EyeCandyControls now installs fine, even multiple times over the same installation. Your error should no longer occur.

sheeptheanarchist

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 03:55:23 pm »
i really do not know what i am doing wrong but i am fed up :(
Let me explain. Every CodeTyphon version is fixed to specific FPC and Lazarus version, which both were the most recent at the time when it was decided to go with another release. So, it is easier to have package being tested against just one FPC/LAZ combo. From time to time they drop some components when they do not catch up with trunk FPC and LAZ. On the other hand, OPM collects so many packages from different authors, OPM is just used for distribution, and each author is responsible for testing his own packages. However, OPM is distributed with so many LAZ/FPC combos, that authors even in their craziest effort would not be able to test them all. For example, some users will try to install package on some old LAZ 1.6 with FPC 3.04 on x86 Debian, someone else will try the same package on LAZ 2.0 with FPC 3.2 on x64 Windows, another one will try with LAZ trunk and FPC trunk on Pi (32 or 64) or even some old ARMv5 or ARMv6 board, and another while chasing a bug that shows just on Apple M1. Do you really expect that everything compiles everywhere in all possible combos? That is not a realistic expectation. A package can be made for latest FPC, while you might have old 3.0.4, or FPC and LAZ move on but author did not upgrade his package (or OPM version was not yet updated). To ease things a little, some packages provide info on what platform and FPC/LAZ combos they have been tested. As an example, most of CodeTyphon packages in OPM (they all have pl_ prefix) are tested with stable FPC/LAZ combo on Windows x32 and Linux x64. But even in such a case, you can not expect a Windows specific package to magically work on Linux just because it is available in OPM.

So, when you find that some package does not work, uninstall it and report it to the author mentioning your exact FPC/LAZ/OS/Bitness combo and see where that goes. And never install more then few packages at once, so that you can easily do a manual roll back. Or... simply stay with CodeTyphon if that works for your use case.
Thank you everyone for their replies and help. Honestly i struggled with lazarus after seeing an opensource program written in lazarus. it needs rx component suite. i installed lazarus and tried to find that package to compile source how it looks like. then i thought it would be better to install codetyphoon big ide but it didnt compile because of file extensions etc. then i tried mr avra's ct2laz to convert but couldnt find its compiled version..
In high school i saw delphi course.. long time after i tried to begin again as hobby..

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2021, 12:45:31 am »
i thought it would be better to install codetyphoon big ide but it didnt compile because of file extensions etc. then i tried mr avra's ct2laz to convert but couldnt find its compiled version..
https://bitbucket.org/avra/ct2laz/downloads/
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

TinyPortal © 2005-2018