Recent

Author Topic: Where have we settled in terms of IRC  (Read 6910 times)

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

• Professional amateur ;-P
Where have we settled in terms of IRC
« on: September 21, 2021, 07:25:53 pm »
Hey Y'all,

After the big move away from the server that shall not be mentioned, where have we settled in terms of the transition?

Cheers,
Gus
Lazarus 3.99(main) FPC 3.3.1(main) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
Lazarus 3.0.0(stable) FPC 3.2.2(stable) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
http://github.com/gcarreno

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
Re: Where have we settled in terms of IRC
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 12:26:54 am »
Back here on the Fora, judging by our IRC advocate's recent posts ;-)

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 12:50:45 am »
Hey Trev,

Back here on the Fora, judging by our IRC advocate's recent posts ;-)

Really?

I never read all the posts on that thread that discussed the migration. Or at least I thought a migration would be implied.

So does this means that all those years of IRC legacy are now vanished?

I'm rather sad for that cuz I spent most of my Uni years chatting so happily on the Portuguese IRC network and I have fond memories and miss the friends I made there.

Cheers,
Gus

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 01:08:24 am »
Hey Y'all,

Just had a look at the Libera server and they do exist there and Joanna is present.

But the head count is rather low. Well, to be honest I didn't know how was the head count on the unmentionable server, but it is low in terms of numbers...

Well, that;s life...

Cheers,
Gus

Joanna

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 04:43:37 am »
It would be great to have more people come to chat in irc. Many questions I have are small things that aren’t really suitable for forum posts
✨ 🙋🏻‍♀️ More Pascal enthusiasts are needed on IRC .. https://libera.chat/guides/ IRC.LIBERA.CHAT  Ports [6667 plaintext ] or [6697 secure] channel #fpc  Please private Message me if you have any questions or need assistance. 💁🏻‍♀️

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 05:00:17 am »
Hey Joanna,

It would be great to have more people come to chat in irc. Many questions I have are small things that aren’t really suitable for forum posts

Hummm, I've never seen anyone here having an issue with trivial or small things being asked.

I've seen many questions that are not that profound being asked and answered in the always polite and informative fashion that these fora are rather famous for...

And if politeness is not used, the moderators are swift to nip that in the bud, from my experience. I've been on the offending side and I've been put in my place, and deserved it, more than once :)

While I do understand that you feel more at home in the IRC environment, I think it's a bit limiting to only pursue one avenue of knowledge.

Nonetheless, I'll be parking my but on the IRC, from time to time, so you'll have my help there in any way I can give.

Glad to have you come round and have a say on this post, cheers for that!!

Cheers,
Gus

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 08:32:35 am »
Many questions I have are small things that aren’t really suitable for forum posts

You obviously haven't been reading the fora very much ;-)

Joanna

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 04:59:22 pm »
I only search forum for things I’m having difficulty with. Forums seem formal so I only post if I have a well thought out problem.

I prefer irc for casual chat but the person who I used to talk to for years on freenode  can’t seem to make it to the new network and the other person who was very  helpful on freenode  is on Libera but does not talk anymore.
I guess you could say I’m getting desperate.
I’m not sure what I’ll do if people disappear off the forum like they did from irc..
✨ 🙋🏻‍♀️ More Pascal enthusiasts are needed on IRC .. https://libera.chat/guides/ IRC.LIBERA.CHAT  Ports [6667 plaintext ] or [6697 secure] channel #fpc  Please private Message me if you have any questions or need assistance. 💁🏻‍♀️

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 11:09:24 pm »
Hey Joanna.

I only search forum for things I’m having difficulty with. Forums seem formal so I only post if I have a well thought out problem.

I have to say Joanna, this forum kinda breaks the mould on that.
We have silly questions to high level algorithmic questions posed here, but ~95% of the daily questions are really simple or trivial things.

I think you got so used to the instant gratification drug that IRC provides and you kinda settled. But I have to say that this forum has it all.
From the most serious characters to the one that are always cracking a joke, to the outright crazy that no one really understands, but we revere their knowledge and don't ask silly questions about their weirdness ;)

So yeah, please feel at ease to ask any question that you have, nothing's that big, nor that small that the fora can't tackle.

Cheers,
Gus

Joanna

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 01:27:05 am »
In irc it’s possible to have long conversations that stray off into other topics . In forums conversations like that get locked because they will interfere with other threads placement in the list. I don’t enjoy it when interesting conversations are suddenly locked. Therefore I prefer irc. Even though the forum allows conversations with more people in different time zones..as soon as the conversation is discovered to be different from original post topic it is  LOCKED!

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 02:01:10 am »
as a long time IRC channel sustainer, you might apply for a forum moderator status. (i'd think you'd be granted one)
and as a moderator you will be able to unlock any topic you like!

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 02:11:22 am »
Hey Joanna,

In irc it’s possible to have long conversations that stray off into other topics . In forums conversations like that get locked because they will interfere with other threads placement in the list. I don’t enjoy it when interesting conversations are suddenly locked. Therefore I prefer irc. Even though the forum allows conversations with more people in different time zones..as soon as the conversation is discovered to be different from original post topic it is  LOCKED!

<sarcasm>Run-away threads that the moderators chip in? Nahhh, we never have those do we, peeps?</sarcasm>

Moderators here will lock a thread if it's getting too offensive or the arc is like 180º off course, anything that extreme gets my vote to be shutdown, but apart form that...

Jeezzz, have I followed threads that get ALL over the place, right?

Cheers,
Gus

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 03:36:19 am »
Well there is sometimes a diff between off topic to the thread and off-topic to the forum.
The latter would for example be talking about ways to grind coffee beans. And that would probably be shut down.

Also, I haven't should down any thread in hours, time to pick one at random ;) ;)

Worst case those interested, can continue by PM.

I am not an IRC user myself. But I also do not get the concept (as far as on-topic stuff goes).

If I would be on IRC, I would not sit in front of it all day long. Like the forum I could only check every now and then.
But by then, a lot of conversation could have happened (If there were many users, which is the desired state). So then, I would not want to read all of it. Where would I get a short overview, if any question/topic was raised on which I would want to participate?

As far as I can see, I would never know. So I would never participate (except if I started a topic / but then someone else needs to spot it).

I accept, that apparently it works for some people. But I haven't got the faintest idea how....

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 03:47:14 am »
Hey Martin,

The latter would for example be talking about ways to grind coffee beans. And that would probably be shut down.

What if the code that that runs the coffee grinder was compiled in --os=embedded --cpu=avr and was managing such grinding?

See, even coffee grinders have a place in this wonderful oasis of technology :P

Cheers,
Gus

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 03:55:03 am »
Hey Martin,

I accept, that apparently it works for some people. But I haven't got the faintest idea how....

In the mid 90' I entered the world of IRC coming from the talkers. The only diff being them was that the talkers were not interconnected like IRC servers were. But it's was pretty much still chat.

So I've been on all the trends for chatting and getting help, like IRC and/or Forums. And like the flamewars over Programming Languages I have only one answer: The best tool for the job.

I do agree with you that you can't do/expect to do Forum stuff on IRC and the same is correct vice-versa.
So in my view, use both and that's that. But limiting oneself to one, is a bit of a situation where you lose opportunities.

Again, just my twopence :)

Cheers,
Gus
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 04:16:39 am by Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018