Forum > General

ftp.freepascal.org inaccessible?

<< < (2/2)

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno:
Hey MarkMLI,

--- Quote from: MarkMLl on September 21, 2021, 10:55:12 pm ---As a general point there's also the issue of FTP support being dropped by various browsers. There's the obvious possibility that if this is actually being done in a library, then it will have a knock-on effect if something else tries to be "clever" and invoke a facility that no longer works... this would hardly be the first time that a developer assumes that because an API is open-source it must be stable.

--- End quote ---

That is actually quite true, most browsers have dropped FTP support, but I tried it with Filezilla and had no joy also :(

Cheers,
Gus

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: dW2005 on September 21, 2021, 05:26:15 pm ---Hello, don't know if its only me, but can't access the FTP for last 24 hours or so (trying to build fpc+lazarus on fresh raspbian install, but fpcupdeluxe fails to fetch the bootstrap compiler)
--- End quote ---

Until we've solved the issue you can also try to use the mirror at ftp://mirror.freemirror.org/ (the directory structure is the same).

--- Quote from: MarkMLl on September 21, 2021, 10:55:12 pm ---As a general point there's also the issue of FTP support being dropped by various browsers.
--- End quote ---

Browsers dropping FTP support is irrelevant for us still providing FTP, because for many older targets (e.g. Amiga) FTP is in fact the easier solution. The browsers dropping FTP support is however relevant for us also providing HTTP-based solutions.

dW2005:
The problem sort of solved itself, as today i tried to run fpcup on windows, and after failing to get the files from ftp in question, it got them from other location. The thing that initially confused me was a long wait for it to sequentially fail to download all the versions from 3.2 downto 2.4 before looking elsewhere. While on windows it took about 15-20 minutes, on linux its a couple hours or so (maybe specific to socket timeouts), then the process continued normally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version