Recent

Author Topic: Actively Recruit For Adding More Languages  (Read 4074 times)

Blade

Actively Recruit For Adding More Languages
« on: September 09, 2021, 03:58:24 pm »
During web searches, I would randomly see Pascal related material in other languages such as Korean, Chinese, German, etc...  It might be good to encourage native speakers of other languages to add their language to the forum.  Perhaps something on the website and Wiki can be posted asking for such volunteers or to encourage this more.

More languages can encourage greater use and awareness of Lazarus and Free Pascal, to include help such users collaborate their efforts and knowledge on particular projects or with writing documentation in other languages.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: Actively Recruit For Adding More Languages
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 09:48:11 am »
The German community has their own forum and they also have quite some articles on the Wiki.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 01:03:58 pm »
The German community has their own forum and they also have quite some articles on the Wiki.

Indeed - I translated  all the very useful microcontroller, and a quite a few other, German Wiki pages into English in February to March last year when I was fixing the syntax highlighting for code examples in the Wiki.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 01:10:08 pm »
And so do the Chinese. Look at the "other language" entry of the menu (left side).

Finding translators for the wiki will be a good thing.

Splitting the forum is probably of less value than it seems at first glance. It works (to an extend) if there is a large community of that language.
But I noted that many people end up posting in the English sections using google translate (posting the translation + the original language for reference / which I believe it totally ok, so much so that I recommend it). Thus I conclude they did not get a reply in their language section of the board. That said, if their is an interest and a moderator can be found....

Just to put that into context. English is not my first language. And back in the days, before there was google translate, my English was really really bad. Yet many sites on the net were English and English only. I used a printed dictionary to read them.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 01:12:16 pm by Martin_fr »

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 01:53:13 pm »
Finding translators for the wiki will be a good thing.

Yes, it would be great. Unfortunately the Wiki labourers are very few.

And back in the days, before there was google translate, my English was really really bad. Yet many sites on the net were English and English only. I used a printed dictionary to read them.

My German is almost non-existent - I studied it for a few months after school some 50 years ago, but picked up some while travelling Germany extensively during vacations 2005-2011, until I was run down by a Vespa in a park on a day trip to the Hague in 2011 which ended my ability to fly from downunder to upover.

Google Translate notwithstanding, I still needed to consult my Langenscheidt Universal German Dictionary when translating from German to English, as well as the web at large for some technical mathematical formulae for calculating areas of different shapes. For the Wiki microcontroller articles, it also helped that I was familiar with the concepts having written programs for Microchip PIC microcontrollers. Translating the German words is only the first step, the sometimes harder part is turning the words into "natural or colloquial" English so it makes sense and doesn't read like my literal, schoolboy Latin translation of Virgil's Aeneid :-)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018