Recent

Author Topic: Fairtris — a fair implementation of Classic Tetris®  (Read 33824 times)

Seenkao

• New ZenGL.
Re: Fairtris — a fair implementation of Classic Tetris®
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2022, 11:07:24 am »
Ответьте себе на вопрос: "Вы готовы бороться за свои права в суде, если вас привлекут за незаконное создание собственного тетриса? Вы готовы понести убытки, в случае, если вы проиграете в этом суде?"

Я не уверен. А всё остальное - это голословность. Реальность покажет как вы к этому относитесь в самом деле, а это виртуальный мир, где вы думаете, что вы безнаказанно можете делать что хотите. Пока не попадёте в суд за это.

google translate:
Ask yourself the question: "Are you ready to fight for your rights in court if you are sued for illegally creating your own Tetris? Are you ready to suffer losses if you lose in this court?"

I'm not sure. Everything else is nonsense. Reality will show how you really feel about it, and this is a virtual world where you think that you can do whatever you want with impunity. Until you get sued for it.

Самое интересно, что если нарушат ваши права, вы будете кричать что их нарушили. А тут как раз создатель faitris нарушил права собственника, но вы отстаиваете совершенно не свою позицию. Странные вы люди. Не подставьте того кого защищаете, и глядите не попадитесь в ситуацию, когда он вас подставит.
google translate:
The most interesting thing is that if your rights are violated, you will scream that they have been violated. And just then the creator of faitris violated the rights of the owner, but you are defending a completely different position. You people are strange. Do not set up the one you are protecting, and be careful not to get into a situation where he sets you up.
Rus: Стремлюсь к созданию минимальных и достаточно быстрых приложений.

Eng: I strive to create applications that are minimal and reasonably fast.
Working on ZenGL

440bx

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2022, 11:57:23 am »
Ask yourself the question: "Are you ready to fight for your rights in court if you are sued for illegally creating your own Tetris? Are you ready to suffer losses if you lose in this court?"
You seem to fail to realize that even if you had an _idea_ about something, you do NOT legally own the _idea_.  You can own an implementation of the idea.  You can own a specific implementation of the idea but, not the idea itself.

That's what the courts told Apple when they were suing Microsoft and HP over a graphical interface.  The idea of a graphical interface belongs to the world, not to Apple or anyone else.

I'm not sure. Everything else is nonsense. Reality will show how you really feel about it, and this is a virtual world where you think that you can do whatever you want with impunity. Until you get sued for it.
if you have a good idea, it's very likely that someone will try to improve upon it.  That's fair game as long as they aren't creating a counterfeit or a copy that is so close to your product that it could be mistaken for your product or using something you produced (like copying your code and putting their name on it.)

The most interesting thing is that if your rights are violated, you will scream that they have been violated. And just then the creator of faitris violated the rights of the owner, but you are defending a completely different position. You people are strange. Do not set up the one you are protecting, and be careful not to get into a situation where he sets you up.
The idea behind Tetris is public property.  The Tetris Company's rights are not being violated by games that implement the same idea, as long as those game cannot be confused with the game produced by the Tetris Company.

(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

Seenkao

• New ZenGL.
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2022, 01:48:31 pm »
Вы это пишите мне или себя уговариваете?  :)
Расскажите об этом компаниям которые очень спешили получить лицензию на игру. И компаниям, которые удаляют клоны тетрис, по любому заявлению The Tetris Company.

Ну да, прошло же 10 лет, идите по тем же граблям, что другие проходили до вас, раз вам не достаточно что они уже прошлись по ним. :)

Данный релиз игры, даже не развитие тетриса, а банальное копирование одной из копий.

google translate:
Are you writing this to me or are you persuading yourself? :)
Tell this to companies that were in a hurry to get a license for the game. And companies that remove Tetris clones, according to any statement The Tetris Company.

Well, yes, 10 years have passed, follow the same rake that others went through before you, since it’s not enough for you that they have already gone through them. :)

This release of the game is not even the development of Tetris, but a banal copy of one of the copies.

Очень хорошо что эта тема всплыла, а то я тоже как то хотел клон тетриса делать. Теперь понимаю, что нужна абсолютно новая идея.

Я закончил. Не хотите, ваше дело. Дальше уговаривайте сами себя.

google translare:
It is very good that this topic has surfaced, otherwise I also somehow wanted to make a clone of Tetris. Now I understand that a completely new idea is needed.

I finished. If you don't want it, it's your business. Then persuade yourself.

Working on ZenGL

440bx

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2022, 02:07:16 pm »
Are you writing this to me or are you persuading yourself? :)
I'm writing this to you.  It would be pointless to attempt to persuade myself when courts of law have already ruled on the matter.

Tell this to companies that were in a hurry to get a license for the game. And companies that remove Tetris clones, according to any statement The Tetris Company.
Sometimes companies seek a licence they know they don't need simply to avoid wasting time and money in court even though they know they would win the case.  It's just cheaper and less hassle to throw some money at the company that can cause a problem than fight it in court.

This release of the game is not even the development of Tetris, but a banal copy of one of the copies.
Based on your views then Lazarus would be infringing Embarcadero's rights.  Lazarus and Delphi are functionally similar but legally Lazarus is perfectly ok.  Also, you don't seem to have a problem with Lazarus copying the core idea of Delphi.  How come ?

Also, Delphi is just an extension of an idea popularized by Microsoft in Windows.  Specifically, the idea of using a tool to design dialog boxes that are subsequently used and shown by a program.  Delphi simply makes "dialog boxes" live at design time.  Were Microsoft's right infringed ? the answer is: No.  They don't own the idea.

What I find surprising is that, there are other ways of accomplishing what Delphi does that would generate much less and much faster code, strangely no one seems to be interested in that.  On the contrary, .net is the opposite of that.  Go figure!.

(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

Seenkao

• New ZenGL.
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2022, 07:32:59 pm »
I'm writing this to you.  It would be pointless to attempt to persuade myself when courts of law have already ruled on the matter.
Нет, в этом ты убеждаешь только самого себя.
Предоставь хоть один пример суда, где тот, кто реализовал тетрис и без лицензии - смог выиграть этот суд. Диалог будет продолжен только в  том случае, и только в том случае, когда ты предоставишь конкретный пример с тетрисом!!!
Не Apple против Microsoft. Не Delphi против Lazarus. А именно пример с тетрисом!!!
Вот тогда и будем вести дальнейший диалог.

В данном случае, ты просто отстаиваешь чью-то точку зрения и не более. И продолжаешь заниматься голословностью!!!
Я слишком много времени на тебя потратил.  :( Больше я не поведусь а твою "дичь".

google translate:
No, you only convince yourself of this.
Give at least one example of a court where the one who sold Tetris without a license could win this court. The dialogue will only continue if and only if you provide a specific Tetris example!!!
Not Apple vs Microsoft. Not Delphi vs Lazarus. Namely, the example with Tetris!!!
Then we will continue the dialogue.

In this case, you're just defending someone's point of view and nothing more. And you continue to be unfounded!!!
I've wasted too much time on you. :( I won't fall for your "game" anymore.

Working on ZenGL

furious programming

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2022, 07:43:05 pm »
Give at least one example of a court where the one who sold Tetris without a license could win this court.

Am I selling a Fairtris? No, so what are you talking about? WTF…

Stop screaming—you are acting like a child. If the DMCA will take down my repository, I will not see any problem with that. If I find it appropriate, I will contact TTC regarding the license, in the meantime I suggest you stop yelling at users and messing about with my thread.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 07:47:15 pm by furious programming »
Lazarus 3.2 with FPC 3.2.2, Windows 10 — all 64-bit

Working solo on an acrade, action/adventure game in retro style (pixelart), programming the engine and shell from scratch, using Free Pascal and SDL. Release planned in 2026.

Seenkao

• New ZenGL.
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2022, 07:49:41 pm »
Я говорю о неуважении к работе автора. По вам это явно видно.
Всего доброго.

Eng:
I'm talking about disrespect for the author's work. You clearly show it.
Have a good day.

Working on ZenGL

440bx

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2022, 08:27:40 pm »
No, you only convince yourself of this.
It sounds suspiciously like you are the one trying to convince yourself.

Give at least one example of a court where the one who sold Tetris without a license could win this court. The dialogue will only continue if and only if you provide a specific Tetris example!!!
You base your viewpoint on the fact that Tetris has the financial resources to bully others to support the protection of characteristics that are not protected by law.

Not Apple vs Microsoft. Not Delphi vs Lazarus. Namely, the example with Tetris!!!
You don't like that case because it shows that your claim is not resting on a really solid foundation.

Then we will continue the dialogue.
Either way, it's fine with me.

And you continue to be unfounded!!!
I'd say the decision in Apple vs HP/Microsoft is a fairly solid foundation.

I've wasted too much time on you. :( I won't fall for your "game" anymore.
You don't like Tetris ?  (note; I don't claim to own Tetris)

Tetris managed to win a significant court battle against a copycat that was too close to the original.  They lost because, it was possible to confuse their game with the original from Tetris.  They made it too close to the original, that was their mistake.  Unfortunately, now Tetris uses that to bully anyone who makes a look-alike game based on the original idea.

They act like the typical one-trick pony.  They are simply bullies.  What's great is that there are so many clones of their game that they couldn't possibly sue each of the clone makers.

If I didn't have better things to do, I'd write another clone.  One _identical_ to their game, an exact clone and, post it on a distributed file sharing network, with source for others to create more variant clones. 

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2022, 08:28:51 pm »
All I am asking is to adapt your repository to Linux conditions so that Linux users have a knowledge base for this game's port in your repository, not mine. Please adapt the readme, About section and tag cloud to Linux, and also upload my wiki to your repository, with the corrections applied (removed Windows information in favor of Linux). It won't take more than one evening of work. So I'm just asking you to take care of every detail in your repository so that it looks professional, not like a messy fork.

Why should Chronos remove the Windows parts? It's rather easy to make the same application work on multiple platforms, so they can create a multi platform fork of your game without problems if they want - especially considering that you don't want to do that yourself.

Akira1364

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2022, 08:45:57 pm »
Why should Chronos remove the Windows parts? It's rather easy to make the same application work on multiple platforms, so they can create a multi platform fork of your game without problems if they want - especially considering that you don't want to do that yourself.

I'll have to look at the source later, but if this game actually just uses direct calls to the SDL2 C API along with OpenGL for input handling / rendering / etc then it should have been automatically cross platform to begin with...

There shouldn't be any need for Windows or Linux specific code (except for that contained within whatever probably-third-party SDL2 "header" unit they're using, which should already have all the needed ifdefs and such in place).

Edit: Yeah, I just looked, and it would have been super trivial to make this run on all platforms that SDL2 supports in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:56:50 pm by Akira1364 »

furious programming

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2022, 08:49:51 pm »
I'm talking about disrespect for the author's work. You clearly show it.

If I had no respect for the creators of the original game, I would not provide information in the repository and wiki about who is the producer of the original (i.e. the NES version from 1989), and who owns the rights to the brand. If I had no respect, I would not have written about it, so I mistakenly suggested that I am the originator and the author of not only Fairtris, but also the concept itself. But nothing like that happens.

Therefore, discussing with you is a pure waste of time.

Tetris managed to win a significant court battle against a copycat that was too close to the original.  They lost because, it was possible to confuse their game with the original from Tetris.  They made it too close to the original, that was their mistake.

Exactly. The problem is not to "borrow" the concept, but to make the game too similar to the official one to use someone else's intellectual property to profit from it (like a parasite).

In the case of Fairtris, this is not the case. This game is unlike any official and licensed version of Tetris and I am not making any profit from it as that was not the purpose of its creation. The game itself and the source code have been published for the CTWC and CTEC community so that they can learn as much as possible about the game's internal mechanics and be able to better play the original NES version (which is still in use), as well as the Free Pascal community to have an example of a game made with Lazarus and SDL.

I developed the game interface myself, all scenes, game modes and some mechanics are created by me. What has been borrowed is the look of the pieces, the color palettes, the scoring system, and the basics of mechanics (rotation system, DAS, and line cleanup animation). The game as it stands is unique and cannot be confused with any official version of Tetris released since the brand's inception.

My idea was that I would provide a Windows version and forks to be created for other platforms and systems. Thanks to this, everyone could take care of their port, without creating a multi-platform code.

But nothing prevents someone from creating a cross-platform version based on my version. This is why I chose no license and copylefted this work so that anyone can do whatever they want with it, without any restrictions. Especially since the project is finished and will not be further developed. And in the near future, the repository of this project will be archived (or made read-only in some other way).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:55:57 pm by furious programming »

Working solo on an acrade, action/adventure game in retro style (pixelart), programming the engine and shell from scratch, using Free Pascal and SDL. Release planned in 2026.

furious programming

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2022, 05:44:41 pm »
I installed the newest Lazarus (version 2.2.0) and now I cannot run the game under the debugger because it dies every time (see attachment). Resetting the debugger doesn't help. Is that also the case with you or is it the only one who has this problem when starting the Fairtris? Anyone have an idea how to fix it?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:10:35 pm by furious programming »

furious programming

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2022, 08:38:37 pm »
A temporary solution is to change the debug info type to Dwarf3 in the project options window.
This is the only type of debug info that doesn't crash the debugger and allows me to actually debug my code.

furious programming

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2022, 10:13:41 pm »
Yet another version is now available — Fairtris 3.0.0.3 beta 2

The main change in this version is the modification of the control mechanics, making the classic controls fully compatible with the original. If CLASSIC control is set, "soft-drop" is reset when spawning, while MODERN is as before, a "multi-spawn soft-drop" is available. Additionally, the "hard-drop" function has been modernized, making it easier and more convenient to use.

The last change is the next calibration of the BALANCED generator. The maximum length of drought and flood has been reduced, so it is possible to play perfectly. This change does not affect the quality of the generated sequences — the sequences are still highly unpredictable and challenging.

Feedback is welcome, as usual.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 10:19:47 pm by furious programming »

furious programming

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2022, 05:43:07 pm »
The final stable version of the game was released — Fairtris 3.0.0.4

Full functionality is implemented, mechanics and controls are extensive and responsive, generators are balanced, the compliance of the selected mechanics with the original is maintained, all modes work flawlessly. Taking this into account, the development of this project is complete. This release is the last — all components worth testing have already been tested, the game contains everything what is needed to play and compete on-line.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018