Forum > Editor

Search/Replace

(1/2) > >>

MikeFinch:
I use Mageia 8 KDE.

Have several pages in my code : I tried to rename a variable by using Search/Replace in the Global state. (I changed 'Selected Text' to 'Global' after the first - maybe second - time).

It didn't do the job 100% the first time. Had to use Search to determine the location(s) of unchanged page(s). Took 3 or 4 goes until Search found zero cases of the old variable!

Presumably it should work 100% the first time. Maybe I should have set Global before even starting?

Perhaps the developers will be interested in this[?].

Bart:
Lazarus IDE has a tool for this: rename identifier.
You can specify if this is for current unit only or for whole project.

I don't think the FP IDE has such a feature.

Bart

MikeFinch:
Bart > somewhat confusing to have apparently two ways of renaming : (rename identifier) / (Search/Replace).

I wish to reiterate that the 'global' search/replace does not work 100%; I've had to repeat several times (by changing editor pages) to achieve a 100% success. Obviously unsatisfactory and certainly frustrating.

Can't this be fixed? I'm not sure if this is a new problem; users don't often need to do renames so it may have escaped previous attention :(.

dseligo:

--- Quote from: MikeFinch on September 12, 2021, 05:04:06 am ---Can't this be fixed? I'm not sure if this is a new problem; users don't often need to do renames so it may have escaped previous attention :(.

--- End quote ---

I didn't notice this problem, and I use search/replace quite a lot.

Can you make example project and exact steps to show and reproduce this problem?

dseligo:

--- Quote from: MikeFinch on September 07, 2021, 07:15:43 am ---It didn't do the job 100% the first time. Had to use Search to determine the location(s) of unchanged page(s). Took 3 or 4 goes until Search found zero cases of the old variable!

--- End quote ---

Did you have 'Prompt on replace' checked? Did you press 'Replace All' button?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version