Forum > macOS / Mac OS X

Mac and Wine?

<< < (2/6) > >>

PascalDragon:
I don't know about WineBottler, but Wine itself should run rather well on Mac. A friend of mine used CrossOver (which internally uses Wine) to run games on macOS back in the day (around '12, but he probably still does).

mischi:
Hi

I have used Wine on macOS with a number of programs to a small extent. Installation and usage is doable, but still feels alien on macOS. Not all programs work and the working ones still have all the small differences in look, feel and behaviour between Windows and macOS. Whether it is an acceptable solution depends on the program as well as the personal preferences of the user.

All the best - Michael.

devEric69:
[off topic on]
AFAIK, there should be a way to easily install or emulate X11 on a Mac (so, creating for Mac a fpGUI application could be possible).
So, another interesting question would be: can an native fpGUI application run under WSL2 too? Answer: no need for WSL2, because fpGUI controls can be compiled towards X11 or towards MS-Windows CGI graphic layers (it's brilliant).
[off topic off]

mischi:

--- Quote from: devEric69 on August 11, 2021, 09:50:25 am ---AFAIK, there should be a way to easily install or emulate X11 on a Mac (so, creating for Mac a fpGUI application could be possible).

--- End quote ---
X11 can be used on macOS, but look, feel and behaviour are even more alien than with Windows programs. Hardly any shortcut will work as expected, for example. The task to match the User Interface Guidelines is usually underestimated and simulating the support of all high level Cocoa frameworks to 100% has not even been managed by Qt. Although also not perfect either, the cocoa-based lcl comes closest, if one can make such a general statement.

Michael.

devEric69:

--- Quote from: mischi on August 11, 2021, 10:28:59 am ---X11 can be used on macOS

--- End quote ---

Good news. For info., with fpGUI, there is no need to depend from Cocoa, or Qt: the visual controls are written to be drawn natively by direct calls to X11, with a main message application loop dispatcher: it's autonomous! There is the possibility to write themes too, in order to be overlaid over the default one. And it's possible to use a database with the TDataLink pattern, ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version