Forum > macOS / Mac OS X

Mac and Wine?

<< < (3/6) > >>

Fred vS:
Thanks Sven, Michael and Eric for your light.

--- Quote ---Good news. For info., with fpGUI, there is no need to depend from Cocoa, or Qt: the visual controls are written to be drawn natively by direct calls to X11, with a main message application loop dispatcher: it's autonomous! There is the possibility to write themes too, in order to be overlaid over the default one. And it's possible to use a database with the TDataLink pattern, ...
--- End quote ---

Yes, it works perfectly on older Mac who have XQuartz installed.
But that was in the glorious age of the Mac.
Now XQuartz is no more compatible with Big Sur (or extremely difficult to install).

Of course Skalogryz-LCL is more "Mac-Native" (but Mac purists will say: "Dont dirty my Mac with a app not compiled with native Mac-clang compiler").

Fre;D

Jonas Maebe:
You're all starting to sound way more elitist, snobby and condescending than all Mac users you accuse of being that way. Please cut out this childish behaviour.

devEric69:

--- Quote from: Jonas Maebe on August 11, 2021, 02:16:29 pm ---You're all ...\...

--- End quote ---

(???) @Jonas Maebe: concerning me, the so-called "childish" aspect you're talking in this discussion of facts, I'm seeing it only in you flameware comments, personally. That said no one is preventing anyone from being a Mac user, in my technical arguments listed above.

Best regards.

Fred vS:

--- Quote from: Jonas Maebe on August 11, 2021, 02:16:29 pm ---You're all starting to sound way more elitist, snobby and condescending than all Mac users you accuse of being that way.

--- End quote ---

Hello Jonas.
Keep cool, I just followed your advice:

--- Quote from: Jonas Maebe on August 10, 2021, 08:32:52 pm ---...: it's technically possible, but most users of the program won't be very happy with it.

--- End quote ---

and the one of skalogryz:

--- Quote from: skalogryz on August 11, 2021, 01:07:35 am ---... it's not used my computer science enthusiasts, but rather a regular users.
Wine is not something they would expect to use on the expensive toy.

--- End quote ---

But OK, like said before, sorry for the noise, I am not a Mac user but I like the Mac and (some) Mac-users too.

Peace.

Fre;D

trev:
I'm not sure WineBottler could be considered "porting" :-)

The last time I used Wine to try to run MS Office, it was as slow as molasses.

I used to have a licence for CrossOver in the past, but that had even more issues at the time with promises that were never fulfilled.

I have ported a few applications from Delphi to Lazarus + FPC and it was generally a reasonably quick process with the pay off that the application then worked on Linux and FreeBSD too. It reminded me of porting a Delphi application to Kylix which I did over a weekend back in the day.

These days I use Parallels Desktop for running x86 Windows programs like C and Pascal compilers for PIC microcontrollers and various PIC and EPROM programmers over USB without any issues at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version