Forum > macOS / Mac OS X

Mac and Wine?

(1/6) > >>

Fred vS:
Hello.

Has anyone tried Wine (or WineBottler) for Mac?
https://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

[EDIT] From the WineBottler site: (WOW if it could work with last Mac os)

--- Quote ---WineBottler can pack your .exe into an Mac .app ...
Double-click your .exe or .msi and convert it into an app with WineBottler. You can run the generated app like every other program on your Mac. For advanced users, WineBottler gives you a selection of options: install special dependencies and even turn your .exe into a self-contained app - that is an app, that contains everything to run it... even on other Macs. Porting to OS X never was easier ;).
--- End quote ---

Is it easy to install and not too heavy?

Maybe, knowing the restrictions of Wine for Mac and adapting a fpc-Windows program for it, it could be a easy way to run applications on the Mac?

(I dont have a Mac and all the attempts to create a virtual Mac OS failed for me).

Thanks.

[EDIT2] Aaargh:

--- Quote ---Winebottler hasn't been updated since 2018‑05‑07 , the current version is "Winebottler 4.0.1.1 Development" and only supports Mojave and High Sierra
--- End quote ---

Fre;D

Jonas Maebe:
It's about the same as suggesting that someone can port their Linux application to Windows by running it under WSL2: it's technically possible, but most users of the program won't be very happy with it. And since there is an extra layer of middleware, there's also an extra layer of potential bugs (and indeed an extra layer that may need adaptation when the OS changes).

Fred vS:

--- Quote from: Jonas Maebe on August 10, 2021, 08:32:52 pm ---It's about the same as suggesting that someone can port their Linux application to Windows by running it under WSL2: it's technically possible, but most users of the program won't be very happy with it. And since there is an extra layer of middleware, there's also an extra layer of potential bugs (and indeed an extra layer that may need adaptation when the OS changes).

--- End quote ---

Yes, Mac is still (even more) extremely Mac Only.

But the presentation of WineBottler with the feature is interesting:

--- Quote ---...gives you a selection of options: install special dependencies and even turn your .exe into a self-contained app - that is an app, that contains everything to run it... even on other Macs.
--- End quote ---

Using fpGUI or MSEgui you can mimic a Mac OS theme with very similar look.
So compiling the application for Windows and make it Mac-izited by WineBottler with all the needed dependencies seems attractive.

But, anyway, this was for before, it seems to not work with the new Mac OS.

Fre;D

skalogryz:
Blame the macOS environment.
it's not used my computer science enthusiasts, but rather a regular users.
Wine is not something they would expect to use on the expensive toy.

Fred vS:

--- Quote from: skalogryz on August 11, 2021, 01:07:35 am ---Blame the macOS environment.
it's not used my computer science enthusiasts, but rather a regular users.
Wine is not something they would expect to use on the expensive toy.

--- End quote ---

I dont want to blame anybody, I just asked if anyone tried Wine (or WineBottler) for Mac.
But ok, no one Mac user tried it because it could dirty his expensive toy.

So, sorry for the noise.

Fre;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version