Forum > Free Pascal

gitlab conversion online.

<< < (4/5) > >>

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: stocki on August 09, 2021, 10:03:42 am ---Does that really work? After about 60% git clone I get an RPC error or something like that. The download stops. Git is a dubious technology. SVN was much more stable.

--- End quote ---
Well you were lucky with svn then.
I had frequent aborts, when  I switched between fpc branches on svn. Or worse, it finished, but the result was broken (i.e. comparing the switched data to a new fresh checkout had diffs).
Of course, my personal experience may not be representative.

Anyway, if it is an issues with a server or firewall then it's not really git or fpc, it's just the choice of hoster that came with it.

I don't know if there will be a fpc mirror on github. If so that might work better (diff hoster)

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on August 11, 2021, 02:18:15 pm ---Well you were lucky with svn then.
I had frequent aborts, when  I switched between fpc branches on svn. Or worse, it finished, but the result was broken (i.e. comparing the switched data to a new fresh checkout had diffs).
Of course, my personal experience may not be representative.

--- End quote ---

The only time that I had problems with svn was when trying to use a non-standard program to create and maintain a local clone of the server... I forget the details.

Without wanting to take sides on this particular bit of the argument: is a randomly dropped session likely to be more harmful to a version of a project checked out from svn, or to an attempted clone (shallow or otherwise) from git?

MarkMLl

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on August 11, 2021, 02:18:15 pm ---I don't know if there will be a fpc mirror on github. If so that might work better (diff hoster)

--- End quote ---

There already is. ;)

marcov:
Using SVN on sf.net was also horrible, and the FPC server is saintly in comparison. A cloud problem, possibly.

I also don't recognize the problem Martin describes, but I rarely switched branches on checkouts, usually having a fixes and trunk checkout of both projects.

Normal SVN checkouts always worked for me with cabled systems. On wireless a checkout (as opposed to an update)  didn't run to completion sometimes. Another update or in rare cases a "cleanup" fixed it.

Artlav:
So, how do you link the accounts between gitlab bug tracker and the old bug tracker?

I see many people have "Note by Florian @FPK2" kind of links there, but no obvious way to link the two.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version