Forum > Russian

Cовершенно вне контекста.

<< < (5/6) > >>

Fred vS:

--- Quote from: winni on August 01, 2021, 05:22:13 pm ---Hi!

The EU has 24 official languages.

These are:

Bulgarian
    Croatian
    Czech
    Danish
    Dutch
    English
    Estonian
    Finnish
    French
    German
    Greek
    Hungarian
    Irish
    Italian
    Latvian
    Lithuanian
    Maltese
    Polish
    Portuguese
    Romanian
    Slovak
    Slovenian
    Spanish
    Swedish

An special position is Malta:
400.000 inhabitants and nearly everybody is speaking english (second official language). But Maltese is an official language.

Politics never was related to logic.

Winni

--- End quote ---

Hum, yes but no one country has English as first official language in EU.

All that said, since the tower of Babel, there has not been much progress in IT translation.

I just try https://iz.ru/news translated into French.
Ok, I can understand (but it is far from perfect).

But much better than https://www.thetimes.co.uk/ translated into French.
There I can understand only the images, most of the text is totally incomprehensible.

winni:

--- Quote from: Fred vS on August 01, 2021, 06:03:14 pm ---
All that said, since the tower of Babel, there has not been much progress in IT translation.

--- End quote ---

Hi!

If you analyse it down to the nitty gritty then a translation app

* must have the knowledge of an adult person
* must have a big knowledge about the fine tunig of different vocabularies
* must dectect irony or jokes

- among a lot other problems. Some inuit languages own 20 different  terms for snow. How to translate?

It will take a lot of time until translating apps can replace  people

Winni

funlw65:

--- Quote from: Fred vS on August 01, 2021, 12:54:54 am ---
--- Quote from: winni on July 31, 2021, 11:50:53 pm ---That's what is happening in the European Parlament: English (or French or German) as Intermediate Language for simultaneous interpretation.

--- End quote ---

Hum, I still dont understand why in the European Parliament, English is still the king.
Afaik, no one country in EU speaks English.

They all are talking about independence vs US but still use their language as main language (that is not used by any members of EU).

%)

Fre;D

--- End quote ---

Well, because all know English already. Ok, then, if you want English to be excluded, what language do you propose in exchange?  And please, do that without generating a huge diplomatic scandal :) . Anyway, whatever European language you might choose, you force others to learn a new language - there is no time for that, in how many years they would become proficient?

Fred vS:

--- Quote from: funlw65 on August 02, 2021, 09:44:34 am ---
--- Quote from: Fred vS on August 01, 2021, 12:54:54 am ---
--- Quote from: winni on July 31, 2021, 11:50:53 pm ---That's what is happening in the European Parlament: English (or French or German) as Intermediate Language for simultaneous interpretation.

--- End quote ---

Hum, I still dont understand why in the European Parliament, English is still the king.
Afaik, no one country in EU speaks English.

They all are talking about independence vs US but still use their language as main language (that is not used by any members of EU).

%)

Fre;D

--- End quote ---

Well, because all know English already. Ok, then, if you want English to be excluded, what language do you propose in exchange?  And please, do that without generating a huge diplomatic scandal :) . Anyway, whatever European language you might choose, you force others to learn a new language - there is no time for that, in how many years they would become proficient?

--- End quote ---

I dont want to exclude English, but, as told some friends who work in EU commission as translators, sometime better that people use a known language by themselves to express a opinion.

For example Charles Michel, the President of EU council, has French as native language.

He decided to communicate in English in the EU commission but, sadly, because of his poor English and accent very pronounced, it is a hard work for translators to understand him, all said better to use French, for them it will be easier to understand.

And if it would be easier for human translator, maybe it will be easier too for a hypothetical IT automatic European translator.

dseligo:

--- Quote from: Fred vS on August 01, 2021, 03:58:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: dseligo on August 01, 2021, 03:43:13 am ---
--- Quote from: Fred vS on August 01, 2021, 12:54:54 am ---Afaik, no one country in EU speaks English.

--- End quote ---

Ireland?

--- End quote ---

The first official language of Ireland Republic is Irish, not English ( who is second ).

--- End quote ---

I don't know which language is first or second official, but AFAIK most people in Ireland communicate in English.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version