Recent

Author Topic: Spam page "xProject F9" in wiki  (Read 1849 times)

El Salvador

Spam page "xProject F9" in wiki
« on: September 12, 2023, 10:03:53 am »
Hello everyone, I just found this spam page https://wiki.freepascal.org/xProject_F9 in FPC/Laz wiki. I don't know this project, so I would propose removing the page. Thanks!

af0815

Re: Spam page "xProject F9" in wiki
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 10:43:02 am »
It is not a Spam direkt, more an advisement for a project here https://www.green-hill.srl/

regards
Andreas

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 11:08:01 am »
I don't consider it as a spam, but it does need a proper external linking to the product, at least it still has a correlation with Lazarus.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 11:37:32 am »
IMHO it is spam. It is not relevant to developing applications with FPC or Lazarus, and that is the wiki is for.

Kays

• Whasup!?
    • KaiBurghardt.de
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 11:56:40 am »
[…] so I would propose removing the page. […]
There is no definite venue, but I suggest using the discussion page for that. The set of forum participants does not necessarily entirely include the set of people maintaining/caring about the Wiki. In particular for reasons of fairness you want to include the page creator in the discussion.

[…] It is not relevant to developing applications with FPC or Lazarus, and that is the wiki is for.
So are many pages of Category: Promotion, e. g. Projects using Lazarus - Business Software. You do not need to read said wiki page in order to successfully write an application with Lazarus.
Yours Sincerely
Kai Burghardt

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 12:01:40 pm »
[…] It is not relevant to developing applications with FPC or Lazarus, and that is the wiki is for.
So are many pages of Category: Promotion, e. g. Projects using Lazarus - Business Software. You do not need to read said wiki page in order to successfully write an application with Lazarus.

Still, then they should go on such specialized pages. But nowhere does it make the made with FPC/Lazarus clear. It seems to be a 3rd party Pascal source processing commercial product.

You could say that also has some minor relevance,  as a converter of Pascal source for other purposes. And that maybe warrants a link on some specialized "other compilers/tools" page, but in both cases it shouldn't be a standalone lemma with picture like that, and even less so for a commercial product.

IOW the current lemmais an Ad (if it had an URL which I assume has already been removed)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 12:04:24 pm by marcov »

Kays

• Whasup!?
    • KaiBurghardt.de
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 12:28:43 pm »
[…] but in both cases it shouldn't be a standalone lemma with picture like that, and even less so for a commercial product.
The mentioned Category: Promotion has sub-categories and there are already dozens of pages following a similar style, some of which are for commercial software or software that have a commercial option. Thus xProject F9 is no novelty in that regard.

We can of course ban any contents remotely resembling advertising, but I’m afraid this will rather be counter-productive: There needs to be some publicity, Yes, you can write (non-educational) applications with FPC and Lazarus in the year 2023, and Yes, you can go commercial with them.
IOW the current lemma is an Ad […]
I dissent: The wording of the text does in no particular way motivate you to “buy” the product. It just describes what it does.
Yours Sincerely
Kai Burghardt

ccrause

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 06:52:55 pm »
For what it is worth:
  • The software downloaded from the vendor site (located via an external search, no link to the business site was ever mentioned in the wiki) was compiled with FPC and Lazarus
  • The software converts Pascal code into a web app
  • The software is listed in the Web Development Framework portal
So I don't see a problem with this page, I think it fits in with the category.  I guess it can also be tagged as Promotion, but other than that I see no problem here.

In general I agree with Kays sentiment in the previous post.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 06:08:16 am »
But nowhere does it make the made with FPC/Lazarus clear.
I see, maybe the author should be contacted for this. Failing to do so means a removal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018