Recent

Author Topic: We are now using GIT  (Read 49341 times)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: We are now using GIT
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 08:59:26 am »
When migration will be done can be "bugs.freepascal.org" redirected to new location on GitLab?

Once all bugs are migrated suitable redirects will be placed.

ccrause

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 09:02:05 am »
yep.
Checkout both repositories.

It your github clone, add a new remote, as url use the path to your gitlab checkout.
  git remote update.

now you have both in the same local repro.

Code: Text  [Select][+][-]
  1. git rebase --reapply-cherry-picks --onto  <commit_in_new_local_gitlab>   <upstream_in_old_githup_e_g_master>  <branch_in_old_github>

Then push the rebased branch to your local gitlab clone.
Thanks for the tips Martin.  I struggled a bit with getting the rebased github branch into gitlab, but eventually got it working.

Another alternative way. Export all commits your are interested in as a patch. Followed by an import all patches into your new repo.
Example of export:
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. git format-patch --output-directory "../patches" --root origin --since="Dec 25, 2020"
Hi Alfred, thanks for the alternative.  Git certainly is very flexibile.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 08:21:46 pm »

Currently offline again
More info to follow soon

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2021, 10:47:33 pm »

lucamar

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 01:09:51 pm »
While we are at it, what will happen with the repo at:
https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/
???
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 01:19:50 pm »
It will be removed once the conversion is done.

ChrisR

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 01:41:09 pm »
I think that the transition to GitLab is a great idea for long term us, and I applaud the developers that ported the issues from mantis to GitLab.

I do also want to applaud those that developed and maintained the Mantis Bug Tracker for years. It served us well for a long time. It is the end of an era.

DonAlfredo

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 07:54:35 am »
If possible, I would like to ask for the non-changing sources (and binaries) to remain available through SVN for at least another year. Non-changing: everything except trunk and current fixes.
As the (future) releases (binaries) will still be hosted on on sourceforge (if I understood correct), a second request might be to make the accompanying sources of these releases also available through SVN.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 09:00:06 am »
If possible, I would like to ask for the non-changing sources (and binaries) to remain available through SVN for at least another year. Non-changing: everything except trunk and current fixes.
As the (future) releases (binaries) will still be hosted on on sourceforge (if I understood correct), a second request might be to make the accompanying sources of these releases also available through SVN.

No. The SVN service will be shutdown, because the server running it it will phased out. We switched to a new server without SVN installed and there is no desire to install it there (which was one reason why we moved now, so that we can avoid double payment).

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 02:46:36 pm »
If possible, I would like to ask for the non-changing sources (and binaries) to remain available through SVN for at least another year. Non-changing: everything except trun,k and current fixes.
This means the fixes branches of releases, right?
Everything will be available through SVN by a Github mirror.  Martin has explained it in one of his posts.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

DonAlfredo

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 03:45:13 pm »
@JuhaManninen
Its good to know that github also give access through SVN.
However, I meant to have the non-changing sources remain available for a while to make the transition a bit smooth.
I understand now that these sources are currently hosted on a server that will be decommissioned. So, its understandable that this is not possible.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 04:16:01 pm »
However, I meant to have the non-changing sources remain available for a while to make the transition a bit smooth.
The non-changing branches will remain in your computer's HD once you have downloaded them.
New users wanting to test and study history, can get them from Gitlab or Github.
I don't see a big issue here.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2021, 09:06:25 am »

The source archives and binary releases are still available on our own servers as well as SourceForge and this will continue to be so also for new releases. And the release tags from SVN will be migrated to Git as well.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 10:34:57 am »
I think this is about fpcupdeluxe.

Which a lot of people have, and have with the current url.  For those people the notice is unfortunate short. But it can't be helped.

The only replacement (if git is not an immediate option) is the github svn.
But that is not a 1 to 1 replacement. It has different revision numbers, and I am not sure what other oddities may lurk around.

DonAlfredo

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 11:59:43 am »
I think this is about fpcupdeluxe.
Yes it is. I would have preferred all non-changing installs (all stables from present to past) to remain valid.
But again, the change towards gitlab is already very time consuming for the FPC and Lazarus devs, so the challenge of fpcupdeluxe will be to work around the absence of SVN sources. No problem.
The only thing I am still investigating is the sequential revision numbering. But we already had some discussions about this. Fpcupdeluxe has now an experimental implementation.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018