Recent

Author Topic: Can this be ported or not?  (Read 3922 times)

Demid

Can this be ported or not?
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:00:38 pm »
Hello.
I'm new here, so would someone who is expirienced enough brifly examine and tell if the project can be ported to FreePascal/Lazarus under these conditions:

1. Project is currently in Delphi 7;
2. I need this project to be compiled for Win64 platform, not waiting until Borland releases 64-bit Delphi;
3. Project consists of two Out-of-Process COM objects (based on comobj.pas unit) and one Windows Service. No forms or visual controls used. However unit "forms" is used by Delphi's svcmgr.pas;
4. Project uses ADO (non-visual, but COM interfaces) to access MS-SQL server and Exchange server. The last one is the reason to build this to Win64 platform, because latest Exchange 2007 provides only 64-bit OLE DB provider for Exchange;
5. Project uses Indy non-visual classes, as I see here Indy is supported under Lasarus, so the should be least problems;

That is all significant I can recall. For now I just like to know that there is nothing fundamentally incompatible with FreePascal in my project before dig in. It would be poor after spending few days to realize that some features (like ADO) can not be transferred and all the effores were wasted.

Phil

Re: Can this be ported or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 06:39:09 pm »
Quote from: "Demid"
That is all significant I can recall. For now I just like to know that there is nothing fundamentally incompatible with FreePascal in my project before dig in. It would be poor after spending few days to realize that some features (like ADO) can not be transferred and all the effores were wasted.

Several of the technologies you cite are Windows-specific, while Lazarus and Free Pascal are cross-platform tools. I have not been able to get COM objects to work with Free Pascal, so I would avoid them for now. I'm not familiar with Windows Services.

Thanks.

-Phil

TinyPortal © 2005-2018