Recent

Author Topic: Deploying a Lazarus web server in cloud web hosting  (Read 13625 times)

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

• Professional amateur ;-P
Re: Deploying a Lazarus web server in cloud web hosting
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2021, 09:57:56 am »
Hey Lucamar,

Depends a lot on what they offer you. If they just say: "OK, here is your 'machine', do what you will with it" (i.e. they give you an empty "machine"), then think of what you would have to install in a real machine, say, at your home, and do the same for the virtual one: install OS, install database server, install web server, install your app and you're (basically) done.

The VPS offer is just that: You get a virtualized hardware that you can control via a web panel and you just SSH or VNC in and presto done, you have a full server for you to play around.

No limits and no hardware involved. It's all virtualized on top of a massive machine with a SHIT ton of RAM and a TON of cores :)

But to the customer, it's just like having a machine in your office/living room and you SSH in.

This of course has nothing to do with a CPanel webhosting. This is a solution on top of Apache's Virtual Hosting for web and you share all the resources of a single machine with other clients.

On a VPS you are master of your server and don't share the OS, you just share the Iron(Hardware), but in all aspects, it's just like a machine next to you.

I dunno if that makes sense. I'm probably quite bad at explaining these things :)

Cheers,
Gus
Lazarus 3.99(main) FPC 3.3.1(main) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
Lazarus 3.0.0(stable) FPC 3.2.2(stable) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
http://github.com/gcarreno

lucamar

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2021, 11:00:44 am »
On a VPS you are master of your server and don't share the OS, you just share the Iron(Hardware), but in all aspects, it's just like a machine next to you.

Yes, I'm aware of that (note how carefully I quoted every instance of "machine" ;)) ... with a caveat: some VPS offers (not many, granted) give you just what might be loosely termed the "bare-metal" version, kind of as if you had just VirtualBox with an empty disk image. That means you have to install everything yourself, down to the OS itself. It's not habitual (normally you get a "machine" with a Linux server installed) but it happens, so one has to make sure of exactly what he is buying.

The rest is just a question of RTFM to learn how to install the extras one needs :)
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 11:39:52 am »
Hey Lucamar,

Yes, I'm aware of that (note how carefully I quoted every instance of "machine" ;)) ... with a caveat: some VPS offers (not many, granted) give you just what might be loosely termed the "bare-metal" version, kind of as if you had just VirtualBox with an empty disk image. That means you have to install everything yourself, down to the OS itself. It's not habitual (normally you get a "machine" with a Linux server installed) but it happens, so one has to make sure of exactly what he is buying.

The rest is just a question of RTFM to learn how to install the extras one needs :)

First of all sorry if I came a bit condescending. Was, REALLY, not my intention at all. Like I said multiple times, I have VERY little experience with it.

And thanks for giving me more info on possible caveats when renting a VPS.
From the limited experience I've had, the provider always includes some variety of images that are installed upon purchase: Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, Debian, etc...
Wasn't aware of a less practical setup :)

And again, sorry if I came a bit condescending, it wasn't my intention at ALL!!

Cheers,
Gus

DonAlfredo

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 01:29:35 pm »
Additional.
My FPC and Lazarus based servers are all running on AWS (Amazon). A small t2 tier, running a AWS prepared linux flavor namely arch-linux.
Aside from nearly 100% uptime, AWS comes with many extra's like IoT, databases, dashboards and more.
My experience with AWS is very good ! And cheap.

jeffp

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 03:50:15 pm »
Hi Gus. lucamar. DonAlfredo.

Thanks for the additional info. I'm more confident now that my limited and dated knowledge with VPS and Linux is still relevant and can be updated with everybody's help.

Meanwhile, my pressing concerns now have to do with developing the actual Lazarus server application, specifically mORMot. That would be the subject of my next post/question.

jeffp

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 02:28:42 pm »
Hey JeffP,

Thanks for the additional info. I'm more confident now that my limited and dated knowledge with VPS and Linux is still relevant and can be updated with everybody's help.

That's awesome to read!!
Count me in for any additional help you may require.

Meanwhile, my pressing concerns now have to do with developing the actual Lazarus server application, specifically mORMot. That would be the subject of my next post/question.

On this subject, unfortunately, I'll have to tap out. I've never done any mORMot related work so I lack the experience to convey any help.

But don't be discouraged!!
This forum is full of wonderful people that will give you the help you need!!

And in the end, I keep my offer: I'll help with being both a guinea pig and a helping hand on the VPS side.

Cheers,
Gus

egsuh

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 11:58:15 am »
Are you sure your local providers don't have VPS offers?

It's now so wide spread that I find that difficult, even for Korea :) Darn, even any country less fortunate than Korea !!

I do not know exactly what you mean by VPS, but it seems to be what I called server hosting --- which is actually renting a server or buying a server machine. Also remote control is possible --- why not?

I said in the web-hosting (one machine is shared by many users), the hosting service providers are not likely to allow to install executable files.

lucamar

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 12:29:05 pm »
I do not know exactly what you mean by VPS, but it seems to be what I called server hosting --- which is actually renting a server or buying a server machine. Also remote control is possible --- why not?

VPS is short for "Virtual Private Server". Very, very basically they rent you a virtual machine; kind of as if they had a really juiced up server running multiple instances of VMWare or VirtualBox and they rent you one of these instances rather than a real machine.

I said in the web-hosting (one machine is shared by many users), the hosting service providers are not likely to allow to install executable files.

Some (very few) do, if they have properly configured servers with the proper CGI isolation. Though it's unusual: it's always a security risk no matter how well configured your machines are.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

egsuh

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2021, 01:37:17 pm »
Oh, I found the service. It starts at less than $8 per month for 512M memory, SSD 12.5G, and traffic of 300GB per month.  But I don't think I can run my CGI web server with my Firebird DB here.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018