Forum > macOS / Mac OS X

Lazarus 2.x for MacOS (Big Sur and Catalina) ... broken and abandoned?

(1/3) > >>

ArminLinder:
Hi guys,

right now I found no working way to get Lazarus 2.x up and running on MacOS. I wasted three days now, and tried Big Sur as well as Catalina, both fail miserably. Big Sur - with the latest trunk version of Lazarus - installs the IDE, but fails at first exception because the LLDB debugger is not yet supported, and GDB isn't available for the platform any longer. I went back to Catalina, and managed to install XCode 10 (the last version suporting GDB, AFAIK), but the XCode command line tools are not available any longer.. Seems the proper installation of XCode, GDB and SVN would not help much anyway, because FPCUpDeluxe crashes right when I start it. So there is not just one problem, curcial components needed for the build stack and proper debugging crash, or aren't available at all. The crashes are fatal, each one terminates, the product is, IMHO, absolutely unusable.

I remebered, 5 years ago when I made first contact with Lazarus, I was impressed by Lazarus multi-platform capabilities. I tested with Windows, Linux and MacOS, and was impressed. I dragged an old box with Mountain Lion out of the trashbin, it still had Lazarus 1.6 on it, and ... worked. Flawlessly. At least regarding the tests I have thrown at it. Unfortunately my current source code uses generics and thus doesn't work with the old FPC environment any more ...

So gone are the days where MacOS is supported by Lazarus?

Armin

Jonas Maebe:

--- Quote from: Nimral on July 14, 2021, 08:37:34 pm ---I went back to Catalina, and managed to install XCode 10 (the last version suporting GDB, AFAIK), but the XCode command line tools are not available any longer..

--- End quote ---
All previous Xcode and command line tools installers are available from https://developer.apple.com/download/all/ (if xcode-select --install doesn't work for some reason)

--- Quote ---Seems the proper installation of XCode, GDB and SVN would not help much anyway, because FPCUpDeluxe crashes right when I start it.

--- End quote ---
Best report that at https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/issues

ArminLinder:
Thanks for your reply. I knew that website, and got XCode 10 from there. Unfortunately there are no command line tools for XCode 10. There are a lot of other versions, but 10 is missing.

XCode 11 is available from the Apple store, and won't install on Catalina. They install fine on Big Sur, including the tools, but on Big Sur I won't get any debugger, since LLDB support is far from ready.

Seems I am stuck in the middle of nowhere. Pulling all the bits and pieces together it seems impossible tuo run Lazarus on Big Sur yet, no debugger support means no Lazarus. SO my best bet seems to be Catalina. But there I get no XCode tools.

Any ideas which way I need to go, to get a working Lazarus on Catalina?

Thnx, Armin.

six1:
You're lost Nimral; totally   :D

dbannon:

--- Quote from: Nimral on July 15, 2021, 01:55:00 am ---...... but on Big Sur I won't get any debugger, since LLDB support is far from ready.

--- End quote ---
Are you sure of that ?  Is that a Big Sur specific problem ?  I have been using LLDB on Sierra for quite some time.

Davo (someone who knows nothing about MacOS)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version