Recent

Author Topic: What is the FASTEST Computer Language? 45 Languages Tested!  (Read 29147 times)

MarkMLl

Re: What is the FASTEST Computer Language? 45 Languages Tested!
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2021, 11:48:54 am »
Yes, there've been many: as a specific example, Cray's OSes were coded in Pascal (although the anti-Pascal purists would attempt to save face by saying that because it was enhanced beyond the standard definitions it wasn't really Pascal). I've used Modula-2 for a microkernel plus network etc.

I would search for these (itches my curiosity). Are there modern ones?.

Most of the Cray engineering documentation and sources was destroyed: SGI had a beach bonfire party when they bought them. People like Chris Fenton have had some success scraping stuff together from old disk packs. As far as modern work is concerned, the thing that springs to mind is Oberon. There's also a modern Pascal-based stand-alone project for the Raspberry Pi although the name escapes me and I don't know how heavily it relies on assembler.

Unfortunately, most people these days think that "writing an operating system in XXXX" means yet another GUI built on top of Windows or Linux.

BUT robust type checking becomes a problem as soon as you're passing variable-sized packets around which negates a lot of Pascal's advantage.
I don't know why. Even in the worst case one can take these as raw data, have fun with pointers and then process that like a C code. Well, i'm talking lightly without seeing the real problem. In worst scenario one will be like C and a nice reading code :)

But the last thing you want if considering a robust language is to be passing pointers around without the compiler having the opportunity to check and enforce the size of the associated data... which is exactly what you get with stream-based protocols like TCP.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

damieiro

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2021, 02:49:50 pm »
Thanks MarkMLI

I will see the http://www.projectoberon.com/home  i allways love read Wirth

But the last thing you want if considering a robust language is to be passing pointers around without the compiler having the opportunity to check and enforce the size of the associated data... which is exactly what you get with stream-based protocols like TCP.
Yes, but i do not know a robust solution for this. Only say that FreePascal con do with same or better readibility than C and same performance. Designing a new protocol in...3..2..1..  >:D

MarkMLl

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2021, 04:29:27 pm »
Thanks MarkMLI

I will see the http://www.projectoberon.com/home  i allways love read Wirth

Yes, but i do not know a robust solution for this. Only say that FreePascal con do with same or better readibility than C and same performance. Designing a new protocol in...3..2..1..  >:D

A moderately-robust solution is descriptor-based protected memory with fine granularity, in which case you can- in principle- pass descriptor references around as atomic operations and rely on the hardware checking for overruns. But that pitch has been queered by the grossly inadequate number of descriptors in the PM x86 architecture, which means that almost everybody dismisses it out of hand.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

TinyPortal © 2005-2018