Forum > Free Pascal

FPC & Lazarus moving to gitlab

<< < (2/36) > >>

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: Fred vS on June 22, 2021, 08:38:04 pm ---
--- Quote from: MarkMLl on June 22, 2021, 08:32:01 pm ---Does this mean that it will no longer be possible to refer to a particular stage of trunk development as "revision such-and-such", and to step forwards and backwards from that point using a contiguous sequence of revision numbers?

MarkMLl

--- End quote ---

This?

--- End quote ---

Thank you Fred, I presume you mean that the sequential revision numbers will no longer exist but I would appreciate confirmation.

MarkMLl

GAN:
Excellent news (and decision). Thank you.

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: MarkMLl on June 22, 2021, 08:32:01 pm ---Does this mean that it will no longer be possible to refer to a particular stage of trunk development as "revision such-and-such", and to step forwards and backwards from that point using a contiguous sequence of revision numbers?

--- End quote ---
Mainly, yes.

The exact details on the below are still being evaluated. Outcome not yet known....
There will be options with "git describe", and such give you a way to refer to a commit in a way that tells you N commits after named known point.

If you do have a commit, you can walk to its parents easily (but not its children)
SOME_HASH_OR_NAME~1

the number gives how many parents up.

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on June 22, 2021, 09:43:48 pm ---

--- End quote ---
Mainly, yes.

The exact details on the below are still being evaluated. Outcome not yet known....
There will be options with "git describe", and such give you a way to refer to a commit in a way that tells you N commits after named known point.

If you do have a commit, you can walk to its parents easily (but not its children)
SOME_HASH_OR_NAME~1

the number gives how many parents up.

--- End quote ---

In that case I'm abandoning trunk. Git is indisputably an adequate tool for collaborative work, it's not suitable for software distribution.

MarkMLl

dbannon:

--- Quote from: MarkMLl on June 22, 2021, 10:26:49 pm ---In that case I'm abandoning trunk. Git is indisputably an adequate tool for collaborative work, it's not suitable for software distribution.

--- End quote ---

see https://github.com/graemeg/lazarus

I have been getting Lazarus Trunk from github for the last year, very easy to step back one or many 'revisions', you work with the github web page open, you can see all the IDs, scroll down and see the diffs.  I imagine gitlb will be able to do the same.

You'll love it !

Davo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version