Recent

Author Topic: FPC & Lazarus moving to gitlab  (Read 100159 times)

valdir.marcos

Re: FPC & Lazarus moving to gitlab
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2021, 05:10:22 am »
It depends on what the page targets.

Also keep in mind, that anyone who does not only download zips for releases (which are avail on sourceforge too), will be better off with a git clone.
Once you got the clone, you only have to download the differences to what you already have.

The Lazarus fixes zip is currently at 50MB. A full clone iirc at 170MB. Less than 4 times the amount. Once you download your 4th zip....

And if needs must, but I would not recommend it to a git newcomer, there is "--depth".
Imho a Lazarus newcomer that dont know SVN nor Git will be much more comfortable with Git.
It is a courageous an excellent decision to move to Git.

And congratulation for your work Martin, the conversion of Mantis-bugtraker into Lazarus-GitLab-issues is clear, complete and respectful for patchers.

Fre;D
+1

devEric69

« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2021, 08:17:58 am »
Hello,

I don't come here to be a troll: I perfectly understand the usefulness of GitLab, in order to fork in the cloud, its cost reduction with the associated issues tracker, even to automate centralized group stuff or to create common continuous integration, etc.

I would like to know if some people have already tried some " git2svn " tools to continue to get locally a Lazarus and fpc gitLab's branch inside a local SVN repository (just to receive source code, not to push local changes towards gitLab)?

Sorry (superfluous question): was worrying because i didn't know if fpcUpDeluxe could fetch \ pull Lazarus and fpc from Gitlab. I just saw ther's a Release v2.0.1 of fpcupdeluxe, said as "First wholly functional Gitlab release" (so, I just need to install the Git locally, in order to install and manage these 2 depots locally).

And congratulations for the migration to GitLab.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 08:40:25 am by devEric69 »
use: Linux 64 bits (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).
Lazarus version: 2.0.4 (svn revision: 62502M) compiled with fpc 3.0.4 - fpDebug \ Dwarf3.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2021, 08:39:29 am »
You can still use svn for Lazarus - for example:

Code: Text  [Select][+][-]
  1. svn checkout https://github.com/fpc/Lazarus.git/branches/fixes_2_2 laz_fixes
  3. OR
  5. svn checkout --depth files https://github.com/fpc/Lazarus/branches all
  6. cd all
  7. svn update --set-depth infinity main

The trunk (aka main) checkout series of commands to to avoid a bug in most Subversion clients.

devEric69

« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2021, 08:43:27 am »
Oh!!? Thanks @trev: finally, i'll continue for a while, testing with your SVN checkout commands.
use: Linux 64 bits (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).
Lazarus version: 2.0.4 (svn revision: 62502M) compiled with fpc 3.0.4 - fpDebug \ Dwarf3.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2021, 08:55:12 am »
Oh!!? Thanks @trev: finally, i'll continue for a while, testing with your SVN checkout commands.

Please note however that for bug reports the Git commit hash is a must. We won't take SVN revisions under consideration any longer.

FPK

« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2021, 10:02:58 am »
I suggest to use the svn mirror github *only* if there is no working git client for the system one is using. Even for "Read only" users: git is normally faster and a git working copy takes less space.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2021, 10:56:56 am »
And pulling down just a zip or tgz of (eg) trunk source is faster and smaller still. Depends on how frequently you do it ....

Davo 
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2021, 12:26:51 pm »
I suggest to use the svn mirror github *only* if there is no working git client for the system one is using. Even for "Read only" users: git is normally faster and a git working copy takes less space.

Maybe on *nix, but on Windows, git is much slower IMHO.  Using one repo for both branches is pointless, since I also have multiple lazaruses pointing towards them that use them for debugging etc. (quite often: fixes for work, and trunk to quickly check bugreports).

The SVN checkout was 300MB, a git one is 500MB. Yes, in theory that contains all branches, but IMHO that is of limited use for the source repo.   

Some of the speed differences might be cloud vs own server though, not git vs svn
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 12:28:48 pm by marcov »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2021, 12:42:32 pm »

Maybe on *nix, but on Windows, git is much slower IMHO.  Using one repo for both branches is pointless, since I also have multiple lazaruses pointing towards them that use them for debugging etc. (quite often: fixes for work, and trunk to quickly check bugreports).

The SVN checkout was 300MB, a git one is 500MB. Yes, in theory that contains all branches, but IMHO that is of limited use for the source repo.   

Some of the speed differences might be cloud vs own server though, not git vs svn

One repro, multiple folders:

git worktree add <path>

The 2nd path has its own checkout, but does not need a .git dir.

If you want both on the same remote branch, you need 2 local tracking branches, as you can not switch to the same local branch in both. But otherwise all you need.

(If you have "submodules" read up the doc, and make sure you have the latest version of git)

The speed depends on the cpu.

git checks some of the integrity of the download. svn does not.
So git needs extra cpu time after the download. usually this is very little, unless you are way behind the server and update a massive diff.

FPK

« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2021, 12:47:20 pm »

Maybe on *nix, but on Windows, git is much slower IMHO. 

Initially clone might be comparable slow but all other operations are at least on par with svn according to my experience.

Using one repo for both branches is pointless, since I also have multiple lazaruses pointing towards them that use them for debugging etc. (quite often: fixes for work, and trunk to quickly check bugreports).

Maybe one repo is pointless for subversion but not for git: with git, you can use so called worktrees to have multiple working copies bound to one local git repository:

cd fpc
git worktree add ../fixes_3_2
cd ../fixes_3_2
git checkout fixes_3_2
du .git
and you will get a few kB for .git

Martin was faster  ::)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2021, 12:52:41 pm »

I already knew, but the docs say:

BUGS

Multiple checkout in general is still experimental, and the support for submodules is incomplete. It is NOT recommended to make multiple checkouts of a superproject.

Still I'll experiment with it on secondary machine.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2021, 01:01:59 pm »
I have been using it for Lazarus (for over a year, on my private git mirror). And that has worked well.

But yes, I have no idea how it works with submodules.

FPK

« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2021, 01:13:43 pm »

I already knew, but the docs say:

BUGS

Multiple checkout in general is still experimental, and the support for submodules is incomplete. It is NOT recommended to make multiple checkouts of a superproject.

Still I'll experiment with it on secondary machine.

Personally I used it only on a RPI with a 8 GB SD and it worked. But in general, I do not consider it worth the effort for FPC or Lazarus.

FPK

« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2021, 08:26:21 pm »

Maybe on *nix, but on Windows, git is much slower IMHO.

Just tested (Windows 10 Pro, NVM SSD), so it's really your IMHO:

c:\fpc\tmp>fptime svn co -q https://github.com/fpc/FPCSource/trunk
89347.000 ms

c:\fpc\tmp>fptime git clone https://github.com/fpc/FPCSource.git
Cloning into 'FPCSource'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 665421, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (2234/2234), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (706/706), done.
remote: Total 665421 (delta 1688), reused 2035 (delta 1524), pack-reused 663187
Receiving objects: 100% (665421/665421), 166.06 MiB | 5.22 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (535772/535772), done.
Updating files: 100% (20103/20103), done.
51129.000 ms

prof7bit

« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2021, 10:57:45 am »
Creating new issues is disabled. A few days ago it was enabled, then suddenly it was disabled, then yesterday enabled again for a short time and now it is disabled again. This also affects the Lazarus project.
See screensot.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 11:05:11 am by prof7bit »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018