Recent

Author Topic: We are planning the release of Lazarus 2.2  (Read 40455 times)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: We are planning the release of Lazarus 2.2
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2021, 06:36:42 pm »
I can verify the latest build runs on W2k. But debugging seems slow - F7/F8 takes about 20% CPU usage.

While it is not likely that much will be done on debugging, just for win2k, out of interest:

gdb based or fpdebug?

Also, if fpdebug: it is not related to that latest change. that code is not called by stepping.

Patches can be accepted, for that, but depending on complexity may or may not be merged.

EDIT:
Btw, how much mem is used on your system?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 06:40:38 pm by Martin_fr »

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2021, 07:39:04 pm »
BTW: win2K is the mother of WinXP. The latter is no longer supported.
When you still need Win2K development, freeze the working toolchain,
You can not always keep up with legacy platforms that are no longer supported by the platform distributor. It is even a bad idea.
You will miss features of the recent toolchains, but at least you can keep it running.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:42:06 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

mrmaxmusterman

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2021, 08:48:15 pm »
Really, I think the easiest thing to do may be to simply provide a script to build Lazarus from the release source on M1 machines. It takes about 9 minutes on my base model M1 Mac mini including syncing the source repository.

The idea of just providing a script for apple silicon users that would download and install (--> compile) Lazarus all on its own sounds really good to me.
Would it be possible for you to create such a script and (maybe) to provide a link to it in the lazarus article on installing lazarus on macOS?

I think that the combination of the script and the link to it in installment articles would help a lot of users out!

mischi

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2021, 10:59:46 pm »
A fink package might be a fix as well, since it builds from sources. However, I have to work on that. Similar for macport.

ssawgift

• My Personal Website
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2021, 03:32:27 am »
I can verify the latest build runs on W2k. But debugging seems slow - F7/F8 takes about 20% CPU usage.

While it is not likely that much will be done on debugging, just for win2k, out of interest:

gdb based or fpdebug?

Also, if fpdebug: it is not related to that latest change. that code is not called by stepping.

Patches can be accepted, for that, but depending on complexity may or may not be merged.

EDIT:
I don't know. I am just a casual user of Lazarus. I use F9 to debug.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2021, 10:45:36 am »
gdb based or fpdebug?

EDIT:

Well the mem usage is in the task manager: run taskmgr.exe

The debugger type: Tools > Options > Debugger > debugger backend
Look in the top tool-bar, it should either have something with fpdebug, or with gdb (or gnu)

The reason I asked is, that the default changed, and it depends on if you had an earlier install, and that the new default actually worked.

You can also (in the top toolbar) toggle between the two, and see if one is better that the other.

ssawgift

• My Personal Website
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2021, 02:59:44 pm »
gdb based or fpdebug?

EDIT:

Well the mem usage is in the task manager: run taskmgr.exe

The debugger type: Tools > Options > Debugger > debugger backend
Look in the top tool-bar, it should either have something with fpdebug, or with gdb (or gnu)

The reason I asked is, that the default changed, and it depends on if you had an earlier install, and that the new default actually worked.

You can also (in the top toolbar) toggle between the two, and see if one is better that the other.
Memory is not a problem at all. Official 2.0.12 release works perfectly on W2k.

I have only one debugger (gdb) so that means 2.2RC may have a problem with gdb debugging (with -g flag).

I also tried fpdebug and found that it does not step into components source code as gdb. For example, pressing F7 on self.Caption := 'any' does not automatically go to control.inc.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2021, 03:35:33 pm »
Memory is not a problem at all. Official 2.0.12 release works perfectly on W2k.

I have only one debugger (gdb) so that means 2.2RC may have a problem with gdb debugging (with -g flag).

I also tried fpdebug and found that it does not step into components source code as gdb. For example, pressing F7 on self.Caption := 'any' does not automatically go to control.inc.

** Gdb: There a quite a few things that may be....

- As you build trunk yourself, you did not download a new gdb version => so you use the same version as before (no change here).

- There have been changes on the IDE site. Dealing with SEH exceptions, and other stuff. I don't know how much of an impact they have.

- Compare the filesize of the project.exe that you are debugging => if it has changed massively between 2.0.12 and trunk, then maybe some packages had debug info added, that did not have it before. But that would only make a diff, if memory was low..

- 2.2 Will come with a diff gdb version.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2064%20bits/Alternative%20GDB/GDB%209.2%20-%20Modified%20for%20unicode/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2032%20bits/Alternative%20GDB/GDB%209.2%20%28cygwin%29/

I do not know, if that will be good for older windows, but you can download different gdbs from our sourceforge page.

** FpDebug
You are using 32 bits?
Then -g may still mean "stabs" (see entries under "debug info type" in project options.

Fpdebug only supports dwarf (you will have noted the pop up).
That pop up only changed your project.
It did not affect the packages.

If you build packages with -gw then that will work.
=> Most packages use the "IDE build options" => go to Tools > Configure build lazarus => and add the option there (Press "Save" to exit, no need to build)

There are different dwarf versions.
- If you plan to also use gdb or go back to gdb => stick to version 2 (or later change it back). gdb has some extra crashes with dwarf version 3
  In that case use the options
  -gw -godwarfsets

- If you decide to stick with fpdebug (or change options as you change debugger)
  Use
  -gw3

dwarf 3 gives you upper/lowercase names => nice.

You can mix dwarf 2 and 3. Eg compile packages with dwarf 2, and the project with dwarf 3 (for fpdebug)

If FpDebug works for you => I do recommend it.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2021, 01:37:53 pm »
... getting back to the release candidate.

On the Mac, fixes_2_2 builds, by default a 64bit IDE etc.  Good.  But when you first start Lazarus, without an existing configuration, it first finds and suggests the ppc386 compiler. And says its OK.  I don't think so.

Secondly, the same initial config assumes we are going to use gdb, I thought lldb was the preferred debugger on MacOS ?

In my case the scanning for FPC source seemed to not work too. I waited ten minutes before I stopped and entered the location manually. It appeared to be starting in the right place, /usr/local/share/fpcsrc and that dir on my system contained only an old install of 3.0.4 and the 3.2.0 so not a lot of searching needed. but my Mac is pretty old ...

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

ASerge

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2021, 08:08:40 pm »
Even Embarcadero already dropped support for Win7 few years ago.
This is incorrect.
Applications of the latest version of Delphi can, according to the documentation, run on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1+), Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016, and Windows Server 2012 R2.
Moreover, the IDE itself also works on the same platforms.

CuriousKit

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2021, 03:45:02 pm »
The Lazarus IDE should be build with -O1. Anyone wishing to use
higher optimization may need to add -OoNOPEEPHOLE to avoid
crashes of the IDE.

That's a bit disturbing.  Has anyone identified any particular crashes?  I thought I had ironed those out.

Igor Kokarev

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2021, 04:38:03 pm »
Just a side note, I still use a bit outdated FPC 3.2.1 fixes tree and my large product works flawless on Mac (Intel and M1) compiled with -O2. I also compiled IDE with default settings - no problem.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2021, 05:39:00 pm »
The Lazarus IDE should be build with -O1. Anyone wishing to use
higher optimization may need to add -OoNOPEEPHOLE to avoid
crashes of the IDE.

That's a bit disturbing.  Has anyone identified any particular crashes?  I thought I had ironed those out.

Unfortunately not.
https://lists.freepascal.org/pipermail/fpc-devel/2021-June/043884.html

CuriousKit

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2021, 01:29:36 am »
Hmmm, nuts.  I've got to find the patch that fixes it in 3.3.1.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018