Recent

Author Topic: Microexamples  (Read 8467 times)

Spoonhorse

Microexamples
« on: June 15, 2021, 12:08:11 pm »
FPC's great and all but it's very hard to find out how to do stuff in it. A lot of the time when I Google some feature the top hits aren't the documentation (because what even is that? ) but people on message boards bickering about some abstruse detail of the feature and whether certain wicked people are betraying an unholy love of C dialects.

Then when I do find something it's often howlingly bad, even I can see that. Things done with people's handful of known hacks, without insight. I was trying to find out how to turn off Paste in TEdit and TMemo. Suggestions included "make any key event erase the contents of the clipboard", "use the key events to erase the Shift state when the user presses Ctrl" and this absolute monstrosity. I believe that it works, I believe that the author was proud of it.

And then there's the obstacle presented by the "good" code I find on the Internet.

I put "good" in quotation marks because the one good coding practice it never seems to follow is proper commenting. If you're going to show something to other people, please please explain how it works, otherwise you're just saying "and here we chant the mystic runes" and I and everyone else who reads it are left with something we can neither understand nor modify.

(This is, I think, how some of the bad code happens. Features of the good code are retained when it's modified even though the modification makes them unnecessary. Rinse, repeat.)

In other ways the good code is often obnoxiously good in that the actual point I'm trying to get to is hidden under excellent software engineering. The author will kick off by defining the public constants that the user should use when setting the property of the component that's going to control the behavior ... and then goes on through the exception handling ... and so on down to the end where the author says where to register the component.

Meanwhile what I want for my own purposes are the handful of lines that actually do the clever thing. Instead I'm being presented with a complete solution to something different from what I want to do and I have to start digging for these lines, which will not be marked as the particularly useful bit, or explained in any way.

What one needs is the exact opposite, a minimal example which is thoroughly explained. Like this.

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. // The OS sends messages to the visual components which we can intercept by
  2. // overriding the WinProc method of the class.
  4. // (For historical reasons everything related to this feature including the names
  5. // of the constants is Windows-related but the feature is not in fact OS specific.)
  7. // This example is implemented as an interposer class, see
  8. // https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=54971.msg408998#msg408998
  9. // for more details.
  11. unit NoPaste;
  13. {$mode objfpc}{$H+}
  15. interface
  17. uses
  18.   Classes, SysUtils, StdCtrls, Windows;
  20. type
  21.   TEdit = class(StdCtrls.TEdit)
  22.   protected
  23.       procedure WndProc(var M: TMessage); override;
  24.   end;
  26. implementation
  28.   procedure TEdit.WndProc(Var M: TMessage);
  29.   begin
  30.   if M.msg = WM_PASTE then M.msg:=WM_NULL;   // We turn off the message ...
  31.   inherited;   // .. and then go ahead and do what the method would usually do.
  32.   end;
  33. end.
  35. // You can use it to turn off any of the other Windows messages to any
  36. // components (a list of the messages can be found here:
  37. // https://wiki.winehq.org/List_Of_Windows_Messages ) and indeed
  38. // to do things other than just shutting them off, though that alone
  39. // could be done with nicer syntactic sugar using the "message" keyword.

This tiny bit of code which can easily be understood and repurposed is way more useful to someone who stumbles across it than a good bit of code that can't. I shall be putting some more stuff here, I've found out some gritty technical things about messing with TEdit and TMemo and TRichMemo, of which the bits other people need to know could be distilled down to five or six snippets of code which are much more readable than my source.

I wish more people could do the same. Perhaps they all have already and it's all sitting in a repository I don't know about.

Spoonhorse

Re: Microexamples
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 01:00:07 pm »
One more example-of-an-example tonight to show what I'm talking about. Let's learn how to mess with the input field of a TEdit, changing the user's input like an autocorrect or autocomplete. Similar techniques will work for a TMemo or TRichMemo. (More about that later.) As in the previous example, this is implemented as an interposer class, because no-one would want it as-is.

So there are two parts to knowing how to do this. The first is knowing where to do it. Trying to do it using the event handlers simply doesn't work so well, try it if you don't believe me. This Is The Way. (I'll explain why if anyone's interested.) Second, when you reset the Text field of a TEdit the OS "helpfully" puts the cursor at the start of the TEdit. We need to put it where it should be. We can do this by assuming that the change took place just behind the cursor. Then after the change has been made we need to put the cursor back where it was and then increase its position by the difference between the new length of the string and the old length. High school algebra should show you that this is what the expressions in the code do.

I'll talk about why we're using the UFT16 length later. If you don't do that, see what happens if you use some of the higher-range Unicode characters, such as Chinese.

1. unit SmartEdit;
  3. {$mode objfpc}{$H+}
  5. interface
  7. uses
  8.   Classes, SysUtils, StdCtrls, StrUtils, LazUTF16, Windows;
  10. type
  11.   TEdit = class (StdCtrls.TEdit)
  12.   protected
  13.     procedure TextChanged; override;
  14. end;
  16. implementation
  18. procedure TEdit.TextChanged;
  19. var offset: integer;
  20. begin
  21. offset:=SelStart-utf16length(Text);
  22. Text:=replacestr(Text,'x','yy');
  23. SelStart:=offset+utf16length(Text);
  24. end;
  26. end.

The code given will slickly and seamlessly turn 'x' into 'yy'. Anyone who wants to do anything else with it can take it from there much more easily than if I'd posted code that does something useful.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:39:24 pm by Spoonhorse »

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 01:05:15 pm »
Hmm, looking at your first example, I wonder how cross platform it is ?   8)

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Portal:HowTo_Demos might be usefull.  But honestly, to expect a nicely packaged snipit for every specific problem is probably a bit optimistic.

But don't let that put you off !

Davo
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Spoonhorse

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 01:12:58 pm »
dbannon, I haven't tested that because all I have is this one laptop BUT as I say in the comments, the fact that the thing uses Windows terminology is just a historical relic presumably left over from Delphi days, according to the documentation stuff I found on the Internet Lazarus is set up so the same messages are passed by every OS.

And no, there's not going to be a snippet for every problem but if people are going to solve problems and then tell people about the solutions on the Internet they could consider doing it in the most snippety way possible.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 01:19:55 pm by Spoonhorse »

Kays

• Whasup!?
    • KaiBurghardt.de
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 03:15:02 pm »
[…] I was trying to find out how to turn off Paste in TEdit and TMemo. […]
[…] the input field of a TEdit, changing the user's input like an autocorrect or autocomplete. […]
I think you’re looking for recipes, a “cookbook”, not what you call “micro-examples”. The documentation and textbooks do contain “micro-examples”, source code (fragments) explaining individual details, but alone they aren’t that helpful if you’re trying to solve problems like you want, because you have to arrange multiple steps in the correct order, you know. That’s a “recipe” to me, and I’m afraid there is simply no Delphi-specific cookbook available (via the internet, for free).
Yours Sincerely
Kai Burghardt

Zvoni

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 03:41:29 pm »
I think you’re looking for recipes, a “cookbook”, not what you call “micro-examples”. *snip*

And you do remember what happened to the kitchen having 10 chefs, and only 2 waiters.......
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Spoonhorse

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 05:02:08 pm »
Kai, no, I already know how to arrange multiple steps in the correct order. Supplied with the ingredients I can make my own recipes. It's finding the individual bits that has been the problem.

(In this case, the difficult thing was finding out how to capture the content of the Text field after the user's keyboard input has changed it but before the change registers on the screen. Everything else is just string handling.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:06:04 pm by Spoonhorse »

Spoonhorse

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 08:04:27 pm »
Let's continue looking at how to mess with the text entry components (TEdit, TMemo, TRichMemo if you have it, etc), specifically at the cursors of the components. We'll take TEdit as an example and look at the extra complexities of the memos later.

The TEdit component has a cursor position given by the property SelStart. (The length of the highlighted text, if any, is then recorded by SelLength). You would think that the SelStart property in the TEdits would reflect the number of characters between the start of the line and the cursor, and similarly the length of SelLength would record a number of characters. You would be wrong. Let's look at why.

Originally there was ASCII which encoded characters using the low seven bits of an eight-bit byte — the numbers from 0 to 127. This situation couldn't last.

FPC uses the UTF8 encoding. This represents further characters using one, two, or three bytes. You don't need to know the exact details.

Microsoft went a different way, and since FPC mimics Delphi, which was written for Windows, elements of Microsoft's preferred system still need to be taken into account when writing FPC. And they used the encoding UTF16. This represents every character as either one or two sixteen-bit "words".

So: the cursor position SelStart of a TEdit is given by the number of sixteen-bit words it would take to UTF16-encode the characters between the cursor and the start of the line (and SelLength is given in the same metric). Meanwhile when we ask for the actual Text field of the TEdit we're given a UTF8 string. And the original Pascal function Length, applied to a UTF8-encoded string, returns the number of bytes it takes up. (If it happens to also be ASCII, this will also be the number of characters, otherwise not.)

To help us deal with this situation we have the Pascal libraries LazUTF8 and LazUTF16. These contain the functions utf8length and utf16length. The naming of these functions is sheer madness and confused the heck out of me. Now it's your turn.

utf8length takes a string encoded in utf8 and says how many characters are represented by the encoding.

utf16length takes a string encoded in utf8 and tells you how many sixteen-bit words it would take to represent it if it was encoded in utf16 instead.

This means that if we want to put the cursor at a given position in our (UTF8-encoded) Text string, it's quite easy. Suppose we want to stick it after the 远 in 望远镜座. Then we can set the cursor position to be utf16length('望远').

Going the other way takes a little more work — or at least if there's an easier way than what follows I haven't found it. Maybe it's in a library somewhere.

The two-word UFT16 encodings use exclusively the hexadecimal ranges $D800 - $DBFF for the first of the two words and $DC00 - $DFFF for the second. All we have to do is go through the string one 16-bit word at a time looking for stuff like that, and count each such pair of words as one character. The following function does just that, converting a position in the string in the UTF16 metric to the number of characters to the left of that position.

1. function utf8cur(x:integer; s:string):integer;
  2. var WS: WideString;
  3.     i,j:integer;
  4. begin
  5. utf8cur:=0;
  6. WS:=utf8toutf16(s); //   We convert the string to utf16
  7. j:=0;
  8. //As FPC knows a WideString has word elements, length(WS) is the number of words, not bytes.
  9. for i:=1 to length(WS) do
  10.     begin
  11.     if not ((ord(WS[i])>= $D800) and (ord(WS[i])<$DC00)) then
  12.         j:=j+1;        // So we count every word except the first word of each two-word pair.
  13.     if i=x then utf8cur:=j;
  14.     end;
  15. end;

So if we have a TEdit called AEdit, for example, then the substring of characters to the left of the cursor is given by utf8copy(AEdit.Text, 1, utf8cur(AEdit.SelStart, AEdit.Text))

That was a lot of explanation for a few lines of code, but you do understand it now. This is almost everything you need to know to get your own code to work with cursors, except we also need to talk about memos ...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:16:43 am by Spoonhorse »

engkin

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 09:42:08 pm »
Thank you for sharing your understanding. I think this paragraph is not correct:
utf16length takes a string encoded in utf8 and tells you how many sixteen-bit words it would take to represent it if it was encoded in utf16 instead.

Can you please check the parameter(s) taken by utf16length?

winni

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 09:55:34 pm »
Hi!

Utf16length calls UTF16CharacterLength per UTF8char.

The result of UTF16CharacterLength can be 0, 1 or 2.

Winni

Spoonhorse

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 10:16:43 pm »
engkin, you're quite right, I think some sort of implicit type conversion is going on, I'll rewrite that bit when my brain is less wooly. It is a maddening subject.

winni, thanks! Under what circumstances would it be 0?

winni

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 11:33:10 pm »
Hi!

Just have a look at the source!

If the PWideChar is Nil then zero is returned:

1. function UTF16CharacterLength(p: PWideChar): integer;
  2. // returns length of UTF16 character in number of words
  3. // The endianess of the machine will be taken.
  4. begin
  5.   if p<>nil then begin
  6.     if (ord(p[0]) < $D800) or (ord(p[0]) > $DFFF) then
  7.       Result:=1
  8.     else
  9.       Result:=2;
  10.   end else begin
  11.     Result:=0;
  12.   end;
  13. end;  

Winni

engkin

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 12:05:59 am »
The example you used does not show the problem. Try something like:
ABC-𐐀𐐁𐐂𐐃
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 01:02:23 am by engkin »

engkin

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 01:58:16 am »
When UTF16 codepoint is 2 words long, UTF8 codepoint is 4 bytes long. Based on that we can rewrite your code to get rid of string conversion between UTF8 and UTF16:
  1. function U16IndexToU8Index(u16Idx:integer; s:string):integer;
  2. var
  3.   U8CPSize:integer;
  4.   p:PChar;
  5.   U8Idx:integer absolute Result;//U8Idx and Result are the same variable, just two names
  6. begin
  7.   U8Idx:=0;
  8.   p:=pchar(s);
  9.   while u16idx>0 do
  10.   begin
  11.     U8CPSize:=UTF8CodepointSizeFast(p);
  12.     case U8CPSize of
  13.       1..3:dec(u16idx,1);//U16CPSize is 1 here
  14.       4:dec(u16idx,2);   //U16CPSize is 2 here
  15.       else
  16.         exit;
  17.     end;
  18.     inc(p,U8CPSize);//Next utf8 codepoint
  19.     inc(U8Idx,1);
  20.   end;
  21. end;

This way we can write your SelStart example like:
  1.   u8Idx:=U16IndexToU8Index(Edit1.SelStart, Edit1.Text);
  2.   s:=UTF8Copy(Edit1.Text, 1, u8Idx);

But we can make it faster by not using UTF8Copy. To do so we adjust the previous code to give byte index. Instead of adding 1 to U8Idx, we can add the size:
  1. function U16IndexToU8ByteIndex(u16Idx:integer; s:string):integer;
  2. var
  3.   U8CPSize:integer;
  4.   p:PChar;
  5.   U8ByteIdx:integer absolute Result;//U8ByteIdx and Result are the same variable, just two names
  6. begin
  7.   U8ByteIdx:=0;
  8.   p:=pchar(s);
  9.   while u16idx>0 do
  10.   begin
  11.     U8CPSize:=UTF8CodepointSizeFast(p);
  12.     case U8CPSize of
  13.       1..3:dec(u16idx,1);//U16CPSize is 1 here
  14.       4:dec(u16idx,2);   //U16CPSize is 2 here
  15.       else
  16.         exit;
  17.     end;
  18.     inc(p,U8CPSize);//Next utf8 codepoint
  19.     inc(U8ByteIdx,U8CPSize);
  20.   end;
  21. end;

Again, your SelStart example:
  1.   u8BIdx:=U16IndexToU8ByteIndex(Edit1.SelStart, Edit1.Text);
  2.   s:=Copy(Edit1.Text, 1, u8BIdx);

Spoonhorse

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 06:03:46 am »
Engkin, thank you. I didn't know that there was a constant relationship between the sizes of the encodings, this is good stuff.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018