Recent

Author Topic: Object Inspector is smart in Windows but not in Linux (Mint & Manjaro at least)  (Read 12223 times)

Gald

I know this is has nothing to do with Lazarus, but with the OS, which is not so user-friendly.
Linux, as far as I know, can't do simple things as I did in these gifs, it's quite buggy and needs a precisely horizontal mouse direction to the left.

My suggestion to improve productivity on Object Inspector while using Linux is to automatically select the text when the Row of the Object Inspector gets focus.

What do you think about it?
Lazarus 2.0.12 r64642 FPC 3.2.0 x86_64-win64-win32/win64/Manjaro KDE 21
AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core Processor 3.50 GHz / 8,00 GB RAM / GTX 1500 TI / 2TB M.2 NVMe

MarkMLl

This is far more to do with whatever widget set you're using than with Linux.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Gald

But the problem does exist, right?
AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core Processor 3.50 GHz / 8,00 GB RAM / GTX 1500 TI / 2TB M.2 NVMe

lucamar

But the problem does exist, right?

Not really. It's more a user problem: you're used to the behaviours of other OSs and find yourself a little "lost" in Linux. Other people (like, say, I myself) are more used to the "normal" Linux behaviour (if there is such a thing) and would find strange if Lazarus behaved otherwise.

For example, first thing I do after an initial install of Lazarus on Linux is to change a lot of the hotkeys to Linux's "standard": Ctrl+W to close an editor Window, and so on, because a lot of the default hotkeys (with Ctrl+, Alt+ some function key) are usually taken already by the Window Manager to change workareas, virtual screen, or whatever. For similar reasons, our default Linux application template has a FileExit action associated to Ctrl+Q, etc.

In the end it's a question of expectations, and the proper (or conventional) thing to do is to follow the platform rules as close as possible, even such "loose" rules as Linux has, not try to mimic in one system the behaviour of another.

IMHO, of course :)
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Does this gif show your expectation?

Gald

Does this gif show your expectation?

No, because if you type something after clicking in Align, you'll type after the text, and not replacing it.
Let's say you want to type "alRight":

In this scenario, the combox won't help you to rewrite the correct content, but instead will right something like the related image.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 04:38:05 am by Gald »

zeljko

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zeljan
Looks like AutoSelect of editable control does not work under Linux when control gets focus via command SetFocus.

Leledumbo

In this scenario, the combox won't help you to rewrite the correct content, but instead will right something like the related image.
Ah, I see. I didn't quite catch what you mean earlier. In this case, it's the TComboBox implementation inside the object inspector grid. I believe this is a custom component, as trying other similar IDE (Qt Creator) it also draws its own version, so the behavior can be changed. It already behaves the way you expected for TEdit fields, so TComboBox should be possible as well.

AlexTP

• UVviewsoft
I confirm this issue and posted report
https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=39015

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
In this case, it's the TComboBox implementation inside the object inspector grid. I believe this is a custom component, as trying other similar IDE (Qt Creator) it also draws its own version, so the behavior can be changed. It already behaves the way you expected for TEdit fields, so TComboBox should be possible as well.
Actually a native LCL TComboBox is used there. One TEdit, one TComboBox and one (custom drawn) Checkbox are first created and then placed on the focused cell as appropriate.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Leledumbo

Actually a native LCL TComboBox is used there. One TEdit, one TComboBox and one (custom drawn) Checkbox are first created and then placed on the focused cell as appropriate.
Owh, so the behavior is native to the widgetset then. Or is it not?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018