Recent

Poll

Arabic sub board

I am an Arabic speaker, and would prefer an Arabic section over the English boards of the forum
0 (0%)
I am an Arabic speaker, and would use the Arabic and English boards equally
1 (6.7%)
I am an Arabic speaker, but prefer the English boards on the forum.
1 (6.7%)
I am not an Arabic speaker, I don't care
9 (60%)
Other? Post a comment
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Openning Arabic section suggestion  (Read 17291 times)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Openning Arabic section suggestion
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 02:26:13 pm »
Well, another thing is to get translated wiki pages.

I noted a lot of questions (no blame) recently that should probably be covered by help/wiki pages.

So if they exist in English, translate them.
If they do not exist, create them.

There is no (see below) excuse on not doing it.
- Anyone can edit the wiki
- The content is now available in the answers that were given on the forum. (Or if exists, in English wiki pages)
- Time? Well take 10 or 15 minutes and do one small section of a page. Continue another day.
  There are 52 weekends a year. Each weekend could yield 15 minutes. If you take 4 to 6 weekend per page, then that is 8 to 10 pages.
- Linguistics/Expressiveness/Language concerns? Don't worry.Write it down best you can. Once the page is there and the content exists in the language, the next person to read it can improve the writing style. (And if no one improves it, then it is probably good enough)

Of course, if you contribute that 15 minutes per week in other activity (e.g. writing patches to fix bugs) to help the project, then that would be an excuse.

We will need a dictionary (English-Arabic and vice versa) or more for computer terms in general and for Free Pascal and Lazarus and programming terms in particular.
Perfert, your first wiki page to write.
Start it...
It doesn't have to be complete or perfect.
All it needs is to be a work in progress.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 02:34:13 pm »
I added a poll.

So we may get an overview, how many interested users we currently have.

pascal111

• Un trabajo en equipo para programas serias.
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2021, 03:02:39 pm »
Well, another thing is to get translated wiki pages.

I noted a lot of questions (no blame) recently that should probably be covered by help/wiki pages.

So if they exist in English, translate them.
If they do not exist, create them.

There is no (see below) excuse on not doing it.
- Anyone can edit the wiki
- The content is now available in the answers that were given on the forum. (Or if exists, in English wiki pages)
- Time? Well take 10 or 15 minutes and do one small section of a page. Continue another day.
  There are 52 weekends a year. Each weekend could yield 15 minutes. If you take 4 to 6 weekend per page, then that is 8 to 10 pages.
- Linguistics/Expressiveness/Language concerns? Don't worry.Write it down best you can. Once the page is there and the content exists in the language, the next person to read it can improve the writing style. (And if no one improves it, then it is probably good enough)

Of course, if you contribute that 15 minutes per week in other activity (e.g. writing patches to fix bugs) to help the project, then that would be an excuse.

We will need a dictionary (English-Arabic and vice versa) or more for computer terms in general and for Free Pascal and Lazarus and programming terms in particular.
Perfert, your first wiki page to write.
Start it...
It doesn't have to be complete or perfect.
All it needs is to be a work in progress.

ترجمة! لسوء الحظ فأنا غير مؤهل لمثل هذا العمل بحق فكل ما أعرفه من الإنجليزيّة هو بعض الكلمات الشائعة وكثيراً ما ألجأ إلى google translate والقواميس ،أنا لا أصلح أن أكون moderator ،وأحياناً أفهم الموضوع من الفكرة العامّة له من خلال إستشفاف ذلكـ من بعض الردود أو الأكواد. أحتاج فعلاً لمُساعدة متكلّم عربي يُتقن الإنجليزيّة ،وإذا أردنا تقديم عمل دعم فنّي بلغةٍ ما فلابدّ أن يكون مُتقناً:

google translate:

"Translation! Unfortunately, I am not really qualified for such a job, all I know from English are some common words and I often resort to google translate and dictionaries, I am not fit to be a moderator, and sometimes I understand the topic from the general idea of ​​it by discerning it from some responses or codes. I really need the help of an Arabic speaker who is fluent in English, if we want to provide technical support work in a language, he "it" must be proficient:"

La chose par la chose est rappelé.

lucamar

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2021, 03:06:47 pm »
I added a poll.

So we may get an overview, how many interested users we currently have.

You forgot one option: "I'm not an Arabic speaker but I think it's a good idea" ;)

I am not fit to be a moderator, and sometimes I understand the topic from the general idea of ​​it by discerning it from some responses or codes. I really need the help of an Arabic speaker who is fluent in English, if we want to provide technical support work in a language, he "it" must be proficient:

Note that the work of a moderator is not to answer the questions or provide tech support; what he has to do is make sure that the forum is used for its purpose and not for flame-wars, spam, etc. And it's easier for the "Other languages" sections since they don'r need to care about whether the question fits the sub-forum it was posted to or needs to be moved, etc. Just that it's in the corresponding language. :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:17:01 pm by lucamar »
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

pascal111

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 03:33:00 pm »

I am not fit to be a moderator, and sometimes I understand the topic from the general idea of ​​it by discerning it from some responses or codes. I really need the help of an Arabic speaker who is fluent in English, if we want to provide technical support work in a language, he "it" must be proficient:

Note that the work of a moderator is not to answer the questions or provide tech support; what he has to do is make sure that the forum is used for its purpose and not for flame-wars, spam, etc. And it's easier for the "Other languages" sections since they don'r need to care about whether the question fits the sub-forum it was posted to or needs to be moved, etc. Just that it's in the corresponding language. :)

لقد كُنتُ أظنّ أنّ من مهام الـ moderator الدعم الفني ،لكن عموماً إن كان الأمر تنظيميّاً مثلما أوضحتَ فلقد جرّبتُ المُنتديات العربيّة كعضو ووجدت أنّ مهام الـ moderator صعبة في عمليّة جعل كل شيء في قسمه يعمل وفق النّظام المنصوص عليه ﻷنّ بعض الأعضاء العرب ذوي أمزجةٍ غير جيّدة ،صدقني لا أصلح لمثل هذا العمل ،لا أصلح إلا أن أكون عُضواً ويُمكنني تقديم المساعدة كعُضو للآخرين عندما يطلبون المُساعدة في أمر قد مرّ عليّ من قبل ،فأنت تعرف أنّ المعرفة تراكميّة.

google translate:

"I thought that one of the moderator's tasks was technical support, but in general if the matter was organizational, as you explained, I have tried Arab forums as a member and found that the moderator's tasks are difficult in the process of making everything in its department "section" work according to the stipulated system because some Arab members have not good moods. Believe me, I am not suitable for such a work, I can only be a member and I can provide assistance as a member to others when they ask for help in something that has happened to me before, because you know that knowledge is accumulative."

engkin

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2021, 05:28:33 pm »
Do moderators have access to members emails and IP numbers?

The reason I ask is because some members were/are activists against totalitarian regimes. Exposing their emails/IP addresses could endanger them or their relatives in these countries.

While new members probably don't use their personal email address to register an account today, some of them were members here before the Arab Spring.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 05:36:33 pm by engkin »

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2021, 05:36:37 pm »
The reason I ask is because some members were/are activists against totalitarian regimes. Exposing their emails/IP addresses could endanger them or their relatives in these countries.

While new members probably don't use their personal email address to register an account today, some of them were members here before the Arab Spring.
freedom fighters have been using VPN for a long time now

You put me in an embarrassing situation  :-\ My time is limited and irregular, I can devote two, three or four hours a day in addition to that I lack a lot of experience in the field of Lazarus and in the field of dealing with the forum, we need more than a (one) moderator.
The national section of a forum requires a moderator.  You don't have to be the one, but please advise the one who can be.

Besides having at least 10 minutes a day is more than enough.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 05:39:16 pm by skalogryz »

engkin

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2021, 05:49:40 pm »

freedom fighters have been using VPN for a long time now

Not all of them, and it is not enough where they live.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 05:51:49 pm »
Afaik, yes. Moderators can see those details. At least global moderators. That is, if those details are stored.

Probably board mods too (have to check that), since they also can ban users.
Alternatively a Member (without moderator state) could be given privileges to delete/edit/move posts of others (for a specific board). So they could act on hateful/hurtful posts.
However they would not receive moderation reports.
That person would then have to defer banning to real moderators. (I.e. just report spam like anyone else by use of the "report to moderator" link)

99.9% banning is for spammers only. So the board privileged user could forward the cases where are "sell watches" spammer posted in their board and their language.

One of the use case of seeing the IP/email is to be  able to prevent spam before it happens. I.e. check for users from the same IP, signed up at a similar time. Spammers often create many "sleeper" accounts for later use.

Generally, any user can change their email address. Once done the old one is no longer available. (It might persist for limited time in a backup of the database, only available to the server admin / admin with ssh to the server)

EDIT:

Just tested: "board moderators" do NOT have access to any of those details. "board moderators"  also can not ban others.

Of course if a global moderator or admin is assigned as a board moderator, they do not loose there status.

For anyone interested, the member list can be searched by position for moderator or admin
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 06:09:12 pm by Martin_fr »

pascal111

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 05:53:54 pm »
You put me in an embarrassing situation  :-\ My time is limited and irregular, I can devote two, three or four hours a day in addition to that I lack a lot of experience in the field of Lazarus and in the field of dealing with the forum, we need more than a (one) moderator.
The national section of a forum requires a moderator.  You don't have to be the one, but please advise the one who can be.

Besides having at least 10 minutes a day is more than enough.

لا أعرفُ أحداً بعد من الأعضاء يتكلّم العربيّة غير @nouzi.

google translate:

"I don't know of any of the members yet who speaks Arabic other than @nouzi."

pascal111

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2021, 06:07:42 pm »
Do moderators have access to members emails and IP numbers?

أرى من الرُدود الأخرى أنّهُ نعم يُمكن الإطلاع على مثل هذه التفاصيل ولكن بالطبع الـ moderator يجب أن يتمتع بأخلاقيّات عاليّة ويُحافظ على سريّة مثل هذه التفاصيل وأن تكون من أجل المهمّات المطلوبة في إطار إختصاصه ولكن بالطبع قد نسمع عن بعض الإستعمالات الشخصيّة لمثل هذه المعلومات في بعض المُنتديات الأخرى ممّا يجعل صورة الـ moderator صورة غير لائقة. إنّها مسؤوليّة.

google translate:

"I see from other responses that yes, such details can be viewed, but of course the moderator must have high ethics and keep such details confidential and be for the tasks required within his competence, but of course we may hear about some personal uses of such information in some "The other" forums The other is what makes the moderator "in" an inappropriate image. It is a responsibility."

lucamar

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2021, 06:29:36 pm »
Alternatively a Member (without moderator state) could be given privileges to delete/edit/move posts of others (for a specific board).

I was reminded that I (a most humble and simple member) still have "move" privileges (from the creation of "Embedded") when my touchpad acted up and I accidentally clicked in "move topic" on my way to "reply". Thank the gods for the back button :-[
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

pascal111

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2021, 06:40:44 pm »
لا أُحب أن أُكرِه الطرف الآخر على ما لا يُريد فرُبّما هو أو هي لديهم مُرادات أخرى. بعض النّاس يُحبّون السُّلطة ولو حتّى في المدرسة في حصّة الدّرس. بطريقةٍ أُخرى أُريد أن أقول أنّ بعض العرب يُسيؤون فهم مسؤوليّة أن تكون في موضع فيه سُلطة. لا يجب أنْ أكون moderator لكي أكون عُضواً فاعلاً.

google translate:

"I do not like to force the other party to do what he or she does not want, perhaps he or she has other wants. Some people love power, even if it's in school, in class. In another way, I want to say that some Arabs misunderstand the responsibility of being in a position of power. I do not have to be a moderator to be an active member."

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2021, 07:53:31 pm »
I don't know of any of the members yet who speaks Arabic other than @nouzi.
Here's what you can do. You can agree to become the moderator temporarily.
As soon as arabic community grows then you might determine who would be the best moderator.

The whole purpose of creating the section is to have the growing arab speaking pascal developers. right?

I could moderate the section actually. But no offence if I fail to use google translate in the proper manner!

pascal111

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2021, 09:18:48 pm »
I don't know of any of the members yet who speaks Arabic other than @nouzi.
Here's what you can do. You can agree to become the moderator temporarily.
As soon as arabic community grows then you might determine who would be the best moderator.

The whole purpose of creating the section is to have the growing arab speaking pascal developers. right?

I could moderate the section actually. But no offence if I fail to use google translate in the proper manner!

حسناً! طالما بشكل مؤقّت فلا بأس ،فيُمكنني تدبير بعض الوقت كلّ يوم ولكن بالطبع إن وجدت نفسي عاجزاً عن الإستمرار فليَ الحق في الإنسحاب. إنّها مسؤوليّة.

google translate:

"Okay! As long as it is temporary, there is nothing wrong, I can manage some time each day, but of course if I find myself unable to continue I have the right to withdraw. It is a responsibility."

TinyPortal © 2005-2018