Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus 2.0.12 on Ubuntu 21.10 install error Dependency not satisfiable  (Read 13350 times)

corradoventu

Lazarus 2.0.12 on Ubuntu 21.10 install error Dependency not satisfiable fpc-laz(=3.2.0)
1st i installed Lazarus from Ubuntu repository install successful but does not work. removed and downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/
try to install with ubuntu software installed: error for  missing dependency.
retry install with gdebi: still Dependency not satisfiable.
see attachment.
thanks for suggestions
With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.

lucamar

Install fpc (and fpc-src) v3.2.0 before trying to install Lazarus. Lazarus 2.0.12 needs fpc 3.2.0 but AFAICT it's not yet in the standard package repos.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

corradoventu

Ok, will use Lazarus on my Ubuntu 20.04 partition and wait for 21.10
thanks
With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.

lucamar

Why? You just have to download the three .deb from sourceforge and install them in order: first fpc-laz, then fpc-src and last lazarus-project.

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
Installation of the three deb packages, as lucamar says, is very easy. There is no point in waiting until it shows up in the Ubuntu repository, which is unlikely to ever be up to date.

You may find some complex instructions for installing on Linux, but it is not really hard. You may need to install libgtk2.0-dev as well though.

Something like:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

should work. This assumes the 3 deb files are in the current directory using the terminal. You can use three calls to dpkg in order, but this call should do the same.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 10:46:23 pm by VTwin »
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

mas steindorff

lazy mans fix:

after using the GUI software to install Lazarus, all I do is ...

sudo apt upgrade lazarus

and all works. 

windows 10 &11, Ubuntu 21+ - fpc 3.0.4, IDE 2.0 general releases

MarkMLl

You may find some very complex instructions for installing on Linux, but it is not really hard. You may need to install libgtk2.0-dev as well though.

Yes, I agree with that FWIW. It's also useful to install lib<some-database>-dev and libusb-dev to sort out symlinks that the OS doesn't do by default, although that might obscure problems that end users (who probably don't have the -dev packages) might experience.

There was recent discussion regarding the libqt5pas packages, where an FPC developer had unwisely started using some facilities which were unlikely to trickle into the released distreaux for some extended while.

My own SOP is to install the distro's prerequisite packages, then to compile FPC and Lazarus from scratch. It's worked for the last 15 years or so...

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

lucamar

Unless things have gone very wrong with the Ubuntu repos (I'm still on 18.04 max. so I wouldn't know) either clicking on a .deb to  make  "software" install it or using Gdebi should work out of the box without having to go down to the command line: it should pull down any other needed dependancy like GTK2, etc.

I must confess that I always use the route of going through a local private repo ... but the few times that I've used Gdebi (for other things like FBReader, 4kDownloader, etc) it has worked w/out a flaw, pulling down any requirement without question.

Nevertheless, let me point out that using apt (or apt-get) in the command line should do exactly the same, resolving dependancies and installing the package(s).

The only problem here is that there is a dependency that can not be resolved because the system knows nothing about fpc[-laz|-src] 3.2.0; downloading and installing those first should solve it nicely.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 12:53:20 am by lucamar »

corradoventu

I've found how download fpc-src https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/ but not fpc-laz, may you help? thanks.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
Please have a look at https://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_Linux

It has a link you to follow that takes you to the top of the Lazarus downloads, click on the " Lazarus Linux amd64 DEB" link, and then on "Lazarus 2.0.12" link. The files you need are there !

Do remember to install first FPC, then FPC_Src and then Lazarus. 

And, perhaps, if you don't mind, I'll suggest you read the wiki page I first mentioned.  You can get there by typing "Installing Lazarus" into the wiki search field.

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Zvoni

And if you look further through this Sub-Forum, you'll find one common advice:

Don't use FPC/Lazarus from Distro-Repo's!
Especially the Ubuntu one......

Download the deb's from here (sourceforge). When i was still on Ubuntu/debian i used gdebi to install deb's, since gdebi resolves dependencies

nowadays i use fpcupdeluxe.....
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
Don't use FPC/Lazarus from Distro-Repo's!
Especially the Ubuntu one......
The OP is using U21.10, you cannot get more current that that !  (Its not due out for several months ...)
But seriously, distro's release cycles mean you almost never see a current version in the distro's repo.

..... i used gdebi to install deb's, since gdebi resolves dependencies

apt will resolve dependencies, I don't think apt-get does and am sure dpkg does not.  But gdebi is a great little tool for lots of other reasons too.

My advice for all but the very beginner (linux) user is to install FPC from sourceforge (or from a tarball) and download and compile Lazarus. You end up with a heap more flexible system that way. Its what fpcupdeluxe does but by doing it yourself (all three commands ! ) you understand where everything is and how its connected together.

Installing lazarus from debs or rpms (either distro repo or sourceforge) is silly really. Its gets all installed under /usr and the very first time you rebuild the IDE (ie for a package install) that /usr install is ignored, you use the one hidden away in your home directory under the laz config directory.

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Zvoni

Dave,

dpkg definitely doesn't resolve dependencies (i remember i had to dpkg some stuff, and it drove me mad to brachiate through the dependencies)

apt-get does resolve dependencies (correct me if i'm wrong, haven't used it in years)

IIRC, yes, you can use apt/apt-get to install from local file (instead from repo), but for me it just wasn't worth the hassle at that time. GDebi and you're set

FPC/Laz from Repo vs. sourceforge-deb's: I definitely remember the Version from repo using different install-paths and missing packages

@Ubuntu21.10: Why in blazes is he using a Beta (if not alpha)-Version of an OS? 21.10 isn't due another 5 months
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

mcculloch

Installation of the three deb packages, as lucamar says, is very easy. There is no point in waiting until it shows up in the Ubuntu repository, which is unlikely to ever be up to date.

You may find some complex instructions for installing on Linux, but it is not really hard. You may need to install libgtk2.0-dev as well though.

Something like:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

should work. This assumes the 3 deb files are in the current directory using the terminal. You can use three calls to dpkg in order, but this call should do the same.

I'm using Linux Mint 20 and trying to install and got to lazarus which choked because libgtk2.0-dev wasn't installed but when I try and install that, it also has many dependencies that aren't met so it won't install.  Then when I do "sudo apt-get -f install" all it does is remove lazarus-project.  I'm stuck and don't know how to move this forward.  The fpc-laz and fpc-src was installed first and installed successfully.

mcculloch

Sorry.  I'm giving up.  I got the dependency down to libc6 that is the major issue and aptitude wants to downgrade some very important packages to fix the problem.  I know that will cause problems with other packages.  If anyone has any ideas, I may pick up the effort to install Lazarus again, but I won't downgrade anything to get it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018