Recent

Author Topic: InstallAware Using Lazarus IDE  (Read 3097 times)

Dan3468298

InstallAware Using Lazarus IDE
« on: May 18, 2021, 03:01:18 pm »
https://www.installaware.com/news-installaware-multi-platform-contest.htm

Mentions the company is using Lazarus IDE to make the cross platform wizard-led install product. 
MacOS 10.15.5/Lazarus 2.0.10 Build 2020-07-07

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: InstallAware Using Lazarus IDE
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 03:22:41 pm »
Cool!

lucamar

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 03:31:12 pm »
For some queer reason this made me fiercely proud, though I have nothing at all to do with Lazarus or FPC other than being an enthusiastic and satisfied "customer":
The maturity of both these platforms [Lazarus and FPC] are enabling our successes in bringing the very best InstallAware has to offer to Linux and macOS today, and an ever-growing number of native platforms tomorrow.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 05:38:13 pm »
Definitely, lucamar. This is great news for FPC/Lazarus! 8-)

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 12:39:08 am »
Nice!
“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

msintle

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 06:53:01 pm »
Would anybody like to look into making Lazarus's cross-platform native code setups using InstallAware?

A single project would compile into Windows, Linux (aarch64 and AMD64), and macOS (Intel and Apple Silicon) targets.

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 07:21:31 pm »
Such old code should be abandoned.
Some old code s good.
This comes not even close.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

VisualLab

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 08:47:02 am »
Such old code should be abandoned.
Some old code s good.
This comes not even close.

Does this mean that InstallAware is old code? And should it be abandoned? And is it bad?

Because there is a lot of old software (e.g. Linux, Windows, etc.) and no one wants to abandon it. With this opinion about quality, a lot probably depends on the person (and often they can even provide some reasonable arguments to support this opinion).

So can you let us in on the secret?

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 10:13:05 am »
It never passed any scrutanize. Bad software from 40 years ago is still bad software.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

VisualLab

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 12:34:43 pm »
It never passed any scrutanize. Bad software from 40 years ago is still bad software.

Hmmm... that's quite a cryptic answer. Counting back 40 years from now, it's 1984. There was no version of Windows available back then. The first version of Windows appeared in 1985. But the actual usable version was 3.0 (1990). From what I remember, InstallAware appeared around 2000 (or later). That's a maximum of 25 years ago. Maybe you meant InstallShield? It is older than InstallAware.

However, I have never used InstallAware (I have used InnoSetup and ISTool). Your answer intrigued me. Can you find out more? What's so flawed about it?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 01:34:24 pm by VisualLab »

msintle

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 04:09:20 pm »
Guy can't even spell censorship right, puts up a Ukraine flag, and attempts to censor an idea based on literal nonsense :P

VisualLab

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 11:08:24 pm »
...puts up a Ukraine flag...

This is already "entering politics". Everyone has the right to have their own views (unless they are cannibals). I really like discussions about politics (and the economy, because they are intertwined). And that's why I try hard to avoid it on tech forums. Because once I start, it's hard for me to stop myself from continuing the discussion. Although I was tempted to write at least one sentence about Russia's robbery attack on Ukraine (the Russian authorities "have it like this" that since the times of Ivan the Terrible, they attack some of their closer or more distant neighbors from time to time, and the oprichnina is still in power today).

I wrote about problems with Windows because it is closely related to IT.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 11:10:35 pm by VisualLab »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #12 on: Today at 10:05:26 am »
Would anybody like to look into making Lazarus's cross-platform native code setups using InstallAware?

A single project would compile into Windows, Linux (aarch64 and AMD64), and macOS (Intel and Apple Silicon) targets.

Most installer work is OS specific, and, in the case of FPC/lazarus even the file lists to install are, since there are *nix and windows specific packages, and similarly due to Lazarus' widgetsets.

You can try, but I don't really expect that much from it, nor that it will match the current inno setups.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #13 on: Today at 01:05:38 pm »
It never passed any scrutiny. Bad software from 40 years ago is still bad software.

From their own website, https://www.installaware.com/company-overview.htm :

InstallAware Software, founded in 2003 by InstallShield alumni, is a software development company......... and is a Borland Technology Partner.

So, 40 years is a bit of a stretch. And I included the end of that paragraph just for fun !

Davo

Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

TinyPortal © 2005-2018