Forum > Other

Lazaruz and Firebird should be more popular

<< < (3/4) > >>

valdir.marcos:

--- Quote from: Fantablup on May 11, 2021, 04:44:53 pm ---I'm using other DB engines too, but i like FB the best.
--- End quote ---
+1

valdir.marcos:

--- Quote from: Fantablup on May 11, 2021, 06:28:19 pm ---Yes, PostgreSQL and FB is very similar, and it can be compared. Even the procedures and triggers is very similar.

I don't understand the FB problem on setting up as you said. It is set up in one minute with just a click on the install.
Also, it is often no need to maintain the databases or server either. Everything is so easy in FB.
Postgre is different in this way.

Also, every DB engine have their pro and cons and used in different scenarios.
The con of FB is that it is not on web as mainstream.
--- End quote ---
+ 1

--- Quote ---If i could choose FB over Postgre on web, i would without any hesitation. But FB is not on shared servers.
--- End quote ---
Usually low cost host companies only offer MySQL or MariaDB.
If you pay a little more, you can get some more options.
Even on that scenario, there are only a few host companies that offer Firebird among standard options.

To have Firebird on web, you'd better use a VPS or build your own web infrastructure.

valdir.marcos:

--- Quote from: Fantablup on May 11, 2021, 06:38:43 pm ---I am actually converting a FB database that have over hundred procedures and over 30 triggers to PostgreSQL.
As mainstream on web, i selected Postgre since FB hasn't come so far on web.

I think Postgre is the most stable of the ones that also can be used on shared servers.
--- End quote ---
If you want, I can privately refer you to some low to middle cost hosting companies that offer Firebird as one of their available options.

Handoko:
I'm a noob in database programming. Some months ago, I tried Firebird on my Linux computer. I managed to install, create, connect, read and write some data to it.

@MarkMLl

I can understand the general advice, stick to mainstream then nothing would go wrong. But I'm more interest on what of the potential issue for getting thing set up. Can you please explain more?

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: Handoko on May 13, 2021, 05:23:19 am ---I can understand the general advice, stick to mainstream then nothing would go wrong. But I'm more interest on what of the potential issue for getting thing set up. Can you please explain more?

--- End quote ---

When I looked at it- and I've tried to stress that that wasn't recent- I found that there was something like four PDF manuals which covered the basic version plus some addenda, and I found myself having to use all of them. However, this was for more than just "getting the software on the system" (OP has already commented that that is a "one button" operation, at least on Windows) but included defining users, creating tables, and then working out the API so that additional users etc. could be added under software control and separate system components could be advised of their arrival... it was that asynchronous notification that was really of interest, since it's something that I need for scheduling etc. in our core business.

As I've said, once running it wasn't bad, and there was substantial commonality with PostgreSQL's dialect of SQL. But my experience of getting the info together wasn't encouraging, and unless I had compelling reason I'd stay with PostgreSQL: FB's main selling point IMO is that like PostgreSQL it has asynchronous notifications, but it's not sufficiently "lite" that there's an automatic niche for it.

Which of course raises the interesting question of whether SQLite is sufficiently useful for multiple local programs, i.e. with robustness enforced by file locking or whatever is available, that its lack of asynchronous notifications could be an issue.

MarkMLl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version