Forum > General

[SOLVED] Help debugging why LoadLibrary keeps returning zero with sample project

(1/3) > >>

Gizmo:
I've recently compiled a DLL using the 64-bit MSYS2 MinGW and it compiled successfully. I can browse it using DLL Explorer.

But, I can't load it with LoadLibrary using Lazarus 2.0.12 and FPC 3.2.0 on 64-bit Windows 10.

I have created a small demo project and supplied the DLL in the hope someone might look at it and see if the problem is my code, or the DLL itself.

I have Googled the various reasons that LoadLibrary fails, and all the answers seem to relate to things like permissions or filenames. It keeps returning 0 with me, but I can't see WHY its returning zero, because the name string of the filename shows correctly in the debugger and the permissions are allowed to execute it and the path is valid. I've tried using Unicode string, rawbytestring, and normal string. I've tried using THandle and TLibHandle. Just can't get anything other than 0.

It would be a big help if someone could try it for me and see if they can get a non-zero value? Or has the DLL being made incorrectly? DLL Explorer shows all the valid functions in it.

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} --- procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);var  //libFileName : Unicodestring;  // libFileName : RawByteString;   libFileName : string;   fLibHandle  : TLibHandle;  // fLibHandle : THandle;begin  fLibHandle := nilhandle;  //libFileName:=ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'libewf-v3.dll'; /// gets full path to DLL OK   libFileName:='libewf-v3.dll';   // if DLL in same folder as exe  if FileExists(libFileName) then    begin    fLibHandle := LoadLibrary(PChar(libFileName)); // Keeps returning zero    //fLibHandle := dynlibs.LoadLibrary(libFileName);    //fLibHandle := LoadLibraryA(PAnsiChar(libFileName));  // Windows API method    if fLibHandle<>nilhandle then      begin        Label1.Caption := 'Success';      end      else Label1.Caption := 'Failed';    end;end; 
Sample project with the DLL in question here : https://we.tl/t-FeC0iquYgX

Imants:
Have you tried to call GetLoadErrorStr if result is 0 or give full path to dll file?

Gizmo:
I've just used Depenancy Walker (old tool but still valid) and it has thrown some errors with the DLL. I think I may have compiled from wrong release link. Re-trying. Will report back. Meanwhile, if anyone can see a problem with the code, recommendations welcome.

trev:
As Imants mentioned, you have no error checking!

For example (from a macOS example I wrote):

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---   // load and get the dynamic library handle   LibHandle := LoadLibrary(PChar('libtest.dylib'));    // check whether loading was successful   if LibHandle <> 0 then     begin       // assign address of the subroutine call to the variable cvtString       Pointer(cvtString) := GetProcAddress(LibHandle, 'cvtString');        // check whether a valid address has been returned       if @cvtString <> nil then         WriteLn(cvtString('hello world'))       // error message on no valid address       else         WriteLn('GetLastOSError1 = ', SysErrorMessage(GetLastOSError));     end   else     // error message on load failure     WriteLn('GetLastOSError2 = ', SysErrorMessage(GetLastOSError));

Mr.Madguy:
Two possible reasons:
1) DllMain doesn't return true for DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH.
2) This DLL has some dependencies, that aren't satisfied.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version