Recent

Author Topic: Can I mix pascal and C together?  (Read 2354 times)

regg

Can I mix pascal and C together?
« on: May 09, 2021, 03:10:09 pm »
I want to make a few programs using pascal, but might need to use C for some low level stuff. How can I easily mix C and pascal together? Can I just rewrite what I want to do with C in pascal instead? I might need to interface with some hardware, that's why C might come into the picture.

MarkMLl

Re: Can I mix pascal and C together?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 03:41:42 pm »
Start off looking at the h2pas utility.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Warfley

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 04:09:12 pm »
Usually you can pretty easiely rewrite C to Pascal, but you can also link pascal and c code together and call C functions from pascal.

There are just a few things to keep in mind when linking pascal and C together, Pascal has managed memory (strings, dynamic arrays), C doesn't, these won't survive the transition between C and Pascal code. Also when linking C and pascal together, you should use the C memory manager from the cmem unit (must be the first unit in the uses clause of your lpr)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 05:12:18 pm »
I want to make a few programs using pascal, but might need to use C for some low level stuff. How can I easily mix C and pascal together? Can I just rewrite what I want to do with C in pascal instead? I might need to interface with some hardware, that's why C might come into the picture.

You can just as well use Pascal for that. Usually you only need to worry about C if you need to interface with some library written in C.

Blade

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 05:37:19 pm »
I want to make a few programs using pascal, but might need to use C for some low level stuff.... I might need to interface with some hardware, that's why C might come into the picture.

Pascal can do low level stuff and interface with hardware.  So you might want to be more specific.  If you are just talking in the more generalized sense and as a future possibility, probably best to just focus on Pascal for the present and immediate future.  Maybe don't worry about it until the use case shows itself.

Graham1

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 04:34:33 am »
Also when linking C and pascal together, you should use the C memory manager from the cmem unit (must be the first unit in the uses clause of your lpr)
I see in the documentation of cmem that it must be the first unit (https://wiki.freepascal.org/CMem), and that cthreads should preferably be the very first unit (https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/cthreads/index.html) which is all OK, until I get to this page https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Multithreaded_Application_Tutorial where the "Units needed for a multi-threaded application" section states:

Code: Text  [Select][+][-]
  1. You don´t need any special unit for this to work with Windows. However with Linux, macOS and FreeBSD, you need the cthreads unit and it must be the first used unit of the project (the program source, usually the .lpr file)!

So both cmem and cthreads need to be the first unit?!
Windows 10/11 Home 64-bit (and Linux because I have to)
Lazarus 2.0.12 / FPC 3.2.0 (because libQt5pas 1.2.6)
Linux Mint 20 (because GLIBC_2.31)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 08:27:50 am »
So both cmem and cthreads need to be the first unit?!

Don't forgot cwstrings which needs to be the first as well. ;)

Joking aside, due to how the units work a sensible order is cmem, cthreads and then cwstrings.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 08:38:58 am »
Joking aside, due to how the units work a sensible order is cmem, cthreads and then cwstrings.

What about clocale? Does its order matter too?

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 09:06:50 am »

What about clocale? Does its order matter too?

It might be best to put it after cwstrings.

del

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 06:32:55 am »
Hi Regg. I call a lot of opencv stuff (compiled C++ binaries) from a Lazarus built GUI. It's been great. Complete separation of Pascal and C++. I use TProcess. Here's a chunk of code to give you the idea. The code that's missing is code I use to parse the output stream and run a progress bar. But that's another story for another time. You get the basics from this:

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. procedure BatchFarneback(frameList: string);
  2. var
  3.   xFarneback: TProcess;
  5. begin
  6.   xFarneback := TProcess.Create(nil);
  7.   xFarneback.Executable:= '/PROJECTS/MiscCpp/BatchFarneback/bin/release/BatchFarneback';
  8.   xFarneback.Parameters.Add('-paramfile');
  9.   xFarneback.Parameters.Add(frameList);
  10.   xFarneback.Options := [poUsePipes, poStderrToOutPut];
  11.   xFarneback.Execute;
  13.   // blah blah blah ... engaging with output stream ...
  15.   xFarneback.Free;
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:38:58 pm by del »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018